Class of 2019 - C Qudus Wahab (VA) to Georgetown | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 C Qudus Wahab (VA) to Georgetown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wahab moves better than Chukwu, handles the ball much better and is more adept near the basket.
He is more adept than Chukwu near the basket but I'm not sure if your handle comment is referring to him taking off from the 3 point line and driving to about 4 feet from the basket. He will probably never be asked to do that. He is also 3 inches shorter than Chukwu and probably not as good a shot blocker. I don't hate the offer I just don't think it was completely necessary at this moment. Go to the kids game and talk about how he fits in your system and recruit him without an offer. I mean we waited a decade to offer Cam Reddish. I'm not saying it would have made the difference but we should have offered right out of the gate early and been on him and make the decision harder.

I can understand where some people are coming from, he does appear to be a little stiff and not to explosive in those tapes, but as one poster mentioned earlier the tapes are a bit old and he is, after all a 2019 recruit. He has a year an a half to continue to improve. Also, given our history with big men recruits I don't think we can expect a ton out of him as a Freshman, centers take the longest to mold and grow into their rolls so I look at that as a developmental year as well. If we have a decent center (Sidebe as a Jr maybe someone else as well) I don't mind this offer. The kid is BIG, and not in that lanky long way, he's thick and his body looks very mature. I don't think he'll get pushed around at all in the ACC. Finally, Red must have seen something he liked to offer on the visit. I too would prefer a top 5 center but we have been struggling getting those recently so I don't hate the offer all things considered.

We haven’t had much success over the years in recruiting big men who are game ready as freshman. So, based on his skill set, which isn’t bad, not sure we’re going to do much better.

I wasn't for bringing in Chukwu due to our scholarship limitations and the fact he had to sit 1 year. To be honest he has exceeded my expectations and is probably the least of our problems.
Don't underestimate what a 7 footer does to the zone. Qudus would be a nice addition, as we've seen from Chukwu.

To Chukwu's critics, all I can say is that, at his height, all he needs to be is serviceable to change the zone. And he's certainly that, as several opposing coaches have observed. The rest is a WIP. For a few examples, he's just starting to be able to run the P/R. His screens are not strong enough ... he's rushing things and flying to the rim too early. He shows drop step and baby hook moves in practice that we don't see in games. He's still dropping the ball down too low and getting stripped. And he comes up too high sometimes and gets burned on lobs. All of that is being worked on at the Melo Center.

OTOH: 1) he's cut down his fouls; 2) his free throw shooting is better; 3) he's blocking shots and changing the inside dynamic for opposing teams; 4) he runs the floor well and is playing 27 mpg; 5) he's passing the ball better outside of the paint; and 6) he's pulling down 6.6 rpg and scoring almost 6 ppg.

Last edited:
Don't underestimate what a 7 footer does to the zone. Qudus would be a nice addition, as we've seen from Chukwu.

For Chukwu's critics, all I can say is that, at his height, all he needs to be is serviceable to change the zone. And he's certainly that, as several opposing coaches have observed. The rest is a WIP. For a few examples, he's just starting to be able to run the P/R. His screens are not strong enough ... he's rushing things and flying to the rim too early. He shows drop step and baby hook moves in practice that we don't see in games. He's still dropping the ball down too low and getting stripped. And he comes up too high sometimes and gets burned on lobs. All of that is being worked on at the Melo Center.

OTOH: 1) he's cut down his fouls; 2) his free throw shooting is better; 3) he's blocking shots and changing the inside dynamic for opposing teams; 4) he runs the floor well and is playing 27 mpg; 5) he's passing the ball better outside of the paint; and 6) he's pulling down 6.6 rpg and scoring almost 6 ppg.
And he looks badass in those goggles.

Here are some recent highlights of 4 star Center, Qudus Wahab. He plays with Isaiah Wong and WeR1 (remember Eric Ayala?)...

He is a player that I have not watched much of. But of the little that I have seen, I would rather have him than John Bol Ajak. That is if we cannot land Stewart, Igiehon, or Cockburn.

Certainly not a comparison as players, but Cappella for Houston changes so much, even for GS. They pass up shots just because he is nearby. Same thing happens a lot with PC just being in the zone.
Also, I think I read PC got another year, so he could be with us for 2 more. At age 30, he will be a solid all around player

I wasn't for bringing in Chukwu due to our scholarship limitations and the fact he had to sit 1 year. To be honest he has exceeded my expectations and is probably the least of our problems.

That is why we leave the recruiting and making of offers to JB and the staff and not you or the ranking services.

That is why we leave the recruiting and making of offers to JB and the staff and not you or the ranking services.
I never said I know more than JB. I was just pointing out at the time I wasn't excited about Chukwu and he turned out to have value. Sorry to post an opinion on a message board.

I'd rather land Stewart, Aiden I, or Cockburn, but this guy might be more realistic. Absolutely got to land one of these guys.

I actually think we end up with him over Cockburn

Certainly hope not but this is probably looking more and more realistic. He just looks clunky to me and not very quick off the ground. He’s not Keita skinny but needs to get stronger. Just hoping that one day we can get a guy like a Kofi or Stewart who is physically ready to go from day one.

Aiden I’s my dream recruit alongside Whitney for this class but i like this kid a lot

Syracuse: “They have a fun program. I have talked to an assistant coach and the head Coach called me like two months ago. I know they play a lot of zone.”

Well there ya have it...he knows we play a lot of zone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom