Class of 2019 - C Tre Mitchell (CT) to UMass | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 C Tre Mitchell (CT) to UMass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I really disagree with the premise that we aren't landing big time centers the past several years. Pretty sure Rak, technically, was a 4, so even he may not truly count as a big center commit.

But a couple nits to pick:

1) We have rarely landed big-time centers, really.
Etan was great, but not a big-time recruit. Forth was top 100 but he wasn't terribly exciting even though he was 7-foot -- you could tell he had limited upside from day 1. McNeil, Greg Davis, Ovicina, Arinze, Sean Williams, Baye Keita, Celluck, Obokoh -- all off the radar guys. Onuaku was great but not highly recruited.

Really the top 100 guys were Forth (limited upside), Dashonte Riley (ended up not doing much at a mid-major), Rick Jackson (bulky and decent size but more of a 4), Watkins, Fab and Rak, if you want to throw him in as a center. And that's going back to the days of Otis Hill in the mid-90s.

Really, if you ask me, Fab is probably the only true center with big time size and skill and a potential NBA future that we have brought in a long time -- maybe since Rony.

Point being, it's not like we've landed big-time centers very often period. Can blame that on JB I guess but I don't think it's really a new trend.

2) Why is Chuckwu a weird get? I honestly would like to see us taking more advantage of the transfer route and if I told you on paper that there was a 7-2 guy at a good program who was a top 75 recruit and he would have to sit out a year but then he'd be able to play three years for this program, I would imagine just about anyone would jump on that recruit. His sitting a year is a benefit, IMO, as opposed to a detriment.

Anyway, I'm late to your argument but the narrative I subscribe to is one of us rarely getting true centers (for better or for worse) and generally doing well with transfers, which would be a good thing.

Solid post...and a very accurate take relative to our centers. Probably the most heralded center we may have ever landed was when Leron Ellis transferred from UK in '89. I remember the incredible hype afterwards and how we were most certainly bound for another Final Four and chance at a NC with his services...

Don’t get excited. Bozo the clown told us 4/5’s don’t want to play at Syracuse.

I think he’s wishful thinking on our part. With all his offers, it’s hard to believe that SU would jump off the page for him. We might get a visit, but we are new to the scene with little time to create much of a relationship with this kid. There’s a lot of comparable teams in this group.

Historically we don’t offer kids late if we don’t think we have a shot. I know nothing about this recruitment however.
not gonna get too interested in this unless & until we get a visit

i'm confused why you'd be doubtful of jba because freshman centers are an issue . . but you think freshman mitchell would be solid

is it just the star rating?

No. Its just another body which increases our chances that one is playable as a Fresh. Our lower rated bigs seem to have been about 50/50 of actually being good so give me 2 coin flips.

I'll take 45% at this stage.
What? I’m no mathologist, but if you add up all of our percentages and we are at like 190%, which is almost a lock. Don’t settle for a measly 45%

Is funderburk invisible? Is that why he is open at same spot every single time?
Like someone else mentioned before, a big problem IMO is when the D collapses hard on the high post like it's worth 5 points. Its given up baseline dunks for years.

Like someone else mentioned before, a big problem IMO is when the D collapses hard on the high post like it's worth 5 points. Its given up baseline dunks for years.
It’s super dependent on the wing recognizing it and cutting off the pass; which will also leave the 3 in the corner open.

I haven't really seen enough of Ajak to have formed a valid opinion on what he'll be capable of next year but it's pretty rare for our bigs to be able to do much beyond foul and stand with their hands up in year 1. I believe that Sidibe and Marek if both healthy are more than capable of giving us 40 really solid mins in the middle. It's just Sidibe's health and both of their fouling tendencies that give me some pause. I always lean towards risk adverse so getting a solid guy into the program this year is always going to be preferable to me then trying to hit a jackpot in 2020 with a higher ceiling guy.

Idk the fact that we even have to consider playing Marek at the 5 is a sign that something is pretty wrong.

Besides the already mentioned reasons, maybe the coaches are looking at him because his stock has gone up quite a bit since earlier in this round of recruiting?

One thing I must say, he is listed with the same measurement as Arinze and Carl Lewis, but when I look at Carl Lewis, they dont look the same at all(size or game-wise), Is it just me?

Either way, I hope Coach GMac and Boeheim can close this guy. ABC, always be closing!

He certainly has changed his body over the last year as the video progression has shown. Beautiful skill set for a post player, and can drag his defender out of the post, unlike PC, BS or even Arinze or Rick could do. Don’t know what our realistic chances are, but if he were 2 inches taller, he’d be a sure fire 5 star. Given how pedestrian our offense has been the last several years, would love to have 5 players on the court who are a threat to score. He’s been uber productive and consistent against the best prep teams in the country, would be an awesome recovery from missing in I. Stewart (never really cared that much for Wahab

Get this kid on campus for the Duke game.
Stress PT will be available and get him on the team next year.

Right. It really doesn’t seem like it would/should be that hard. If we’re not up against Duke or Kentucky, and we’re not stacked at the position...why wouldn’t he come?

Nobody else out there can offer a big time feel and atmosphere on that level.

Idk the fact that we even have to consider playing Marek at the 5 is a sign that something is pretty wrong.

Right. Marek is a 3 without the required shooting range or quickness, so he plays 4.

He’s not a 5 whatsoever.

And yet, right today our best projected lineup for next year would probably include Marek at the 5.

This kid would be an absolutely crucial recruit.

Right. It really doesn’t seem like it would/should be that hard. If we’re not up against Duke or Kentucky, and we’re not stacked at the position...why wouldn’t he come?

Nobody else out there can offer a big time feel and atmosphere on that level.
Are you serious? We lost a recruit to St. Bonaventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom