Class of 2019 - C Tre Mitchell (CT) to UMass | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 C Tre Mitchell (CT) to UMass

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the type of kid that would put up 20 and 12 on us.

We need more bigs with this type of body and skill set. So sick of string bean kids with no strength, athleticism or skill. Give me a 6’9”-6’10” kid that can actually contribute offensively where we’ve been brutal for years now. Something has to change in our philosophy and recruiting and this is one area where it’s obvious we need to try something new.

Mitchell looks like a capable ACC big that won’t be overmatched physically. For that, sign me up.

Staff had a lot of questions about this guy because he was over 190 lbs. and could actually shoot.

That may be part of it, but I think a bigger part was that he was actually born in the USA(and would offend Springsteen...0 of 3 this year and quite the recent history), and we wouldn't have the excitement of worrying about his transcripts delaying him, or the excuse of his language skills holding him back. Who can blame the staff for wanting to give us extra entertainment, and/or thinking they can have Mark Few success at outsourcing bigs?

TIme for us to be the Duke and poach Tre. It would be cool to once again have a center the opponents would have to double on occasion, instead of one that as so hapless that his man was freed up to double someone else.

Last edited:
This is the type of kid that would put up 20 and 12 on us.

We need more bigs with this type of body and skill set. So sick of string bean kids with no strength, athleticism or skill. Give me a 6’9”-6’10” kid that can actually contribute offensively where we’ve been brutal for years now. Something has to change in our philosophy and recruiting and this is one area where it’s obvious we need to try something new.

Mitchell looks like a capable ACC big that won’t be overmatched physically. For that, sign me up.
i hope we get him

but what will it take to disabuse this forum of the notion that jba is a "stringbean?" at 6-10, 230, he's only 5 lbs lighter than tre & bigger than rakeem christmas as a hs senior. oh, and offensively gifted as well

jba & tre can easily play together, their offensive skillsets mesh. on defense i'm not so sure. tre doesn't look like he can cover the wings as a forward in the zone; likely same for jba but not as sure

Last edited:
i hope we get him

but what will it take to disabuse this forum of the notion that jba is a "stringbean?" at 6-10, 230, he's only 5 lbs lighter than tre & bigger than rakeem christmas as a hs senior. oh, and offensively gifted as well

jba & tre can easily play together, their offensive skillsets mesh. on defense i'm not so sure. tre doesn't look like he can cover the wings as a forward in the zone; likely same for jba

I was watching Westtown and JBA does not look like the reported 230 lbs. He also played PF not center. But i watched all of John Gillons games when he was at Syracuse and he didn't look the reported 6ft either. Go figure

Here is a good game to look at the strengths and weaknesses of Tre. Mostly strengths. Legitimate talented big man for us. Good finisher in the box. Ability to make a play from FT line in and range out to 18 ft or so. Wouldn't be a star day 1 but he is a offensive upgrade right now over Chukwu, Sidibe and any of the 190 lbs people we put at center.

Again why are we just starting to recruit him in February

i hope we get him

jba & tre can easily play together, their offensive skillsets mesh. on defense i'm not so sure. tre doesn't look like he can cover the wings as a forward in the zone; likely same for jba but not as sure
Marek is a true string bean.

Here is a good game to look at the strengths and weaknesses of Tre. Mostly strengths. Legitimate talented big man for us. Good finisher in the box. Ability to make a play from FT line in and range out to 18 ft or so. Wouldn't be a star day 1 but he is a offensive upgrade right now over Chukwu, Sidibe and any of the 190 lbs people we put at center.

Because Isiah Stewart did not commit until January. We were holding a space for him.

I mean if we offered I wouldn't be surprised if we had checked him out prior to hearing the offer.

i hope we get him

Went to JBA's playoff game last week. Stringbean is maybe a bit much, but he's definitely not thick. He's athletic, and did play the forward position in the zone, and I thought played it pretty well with good footwork and quickness. Where he did not appear to excel as much was in banging underneath (and this was against a fairly overmatched opponent). Just one game, for what it is worth, and I do think he can be a really good player for us.

To bring it back to Tre - if you look at the videos posted, you can see there's just a difference in the build. Tre and JBA could definitely complement each other, even on the defensive end in my opinion.

Side note on JBA - he seems like a great guy, was very excited to see me and my family in Cuse gear!

Attachments

• IMG_6162.JPG
    IMG_6162.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 107
Don't toy with us?is it really?
I thought the two prior statements would be obviously sarasyiv thereby rendering the last stafement equally sarcastic.

I’m a lurker without any insider value.

i hope we get him

Wasn't talking about JBA at all, more about the past and current situations. I hope he can hold up in the paint and he's a legit 230+, but I'll have to wait and see how that works. I like that he has some offensive skills. That will be nice.

Well, Mitchell should be treated to a helluva game on Saturday. Yesterday's win guarantees that the fanbase will be sky high for Duke, sellout crowd, our players ought to be really pumped heading into this game with momentum, blood in the water with Zion potentially out, etc.

Couldn't ask for a better setup for an impression to be made.

Well, Mitchell should be treated to a helluva game on Saturday. Yesterday's win guarantees that the fanbase will be sky high for Duke, sellout crowd, our players ought to be really pumped heading into this game with momentum, blood in the water with Zion potentially out, etc.

Had no idea he was coming, great news

has there been confirmation that he's attending the Duke game?

I haven't heard anything about him coming to the game Saturday. will be a lot of football recruits there, but haven't heard anything about Mitchell, hope he does come, it isn't a long trip for him to make last minute

Staff had a lot of questions about this guy because he was over 190 lbs. and could actually shoot.
He’s on a JB diet...one quarter of a Hoffman hot dog a day, no bug no mustard.

suddenly doesn't seem like the best game to make a positive impression on recruits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom