cal to knicks talk building | Syracusefan.com

cal to knicks talk building

@FisolaNYDN
Lot of NBA people believe John Calipari to the Knicks is already being set into motion. (Not sure how this impacts Rod Strickland)

I am torn, as a Knick fan i am hesistant about Calapari coaching in the NBA although as of late i am warming up to the idea even though i like Mike Woodson

But as a Cuse fan first. Kentucky would lose thier entire incoming recruiting class just like when Cal left Memphis for Uk they lost an incoming class of Xavier Henry, John Wall, and Demarcus Cousins

I am torn, as a Knick fan i am hesistant about Calapari coaching in the NBA although as of late i am warming up to the idea even though i like Mike Woodson

But as a Cuse fan first. Kentucky would lose thier entire incoming recruiting class just like when Cal left Memphis for Uk they lost an incoming class of Xavier Henry, John Wall, and Demarcus Cousins
I'd love to steal Alex Poythress

No way he bolts now for the Knicks. I would be stunned.
makes zero sense why he would leave UK for the NBA, except dollars, which, we don't know how much he makes off the books

makes zero sense why he would leave UK for the NBA, except dollars, which, we don't know how much he makes off the books

I dont see why an NBA team wants him. Been there done that with the Nets. Rarely does a college coach have a ton of success in the NBA.

I dont see why an NBA team wants him. Been there done that with the Nets. Rarely does a college coach have a ton of success in the NBA.
I won't believe anything until his house is on the market

However, Cal's a professional coach in a college setting...so maybe second time around would work for him.

@FisolaNYDN
And yes, Calipari has a link to Isiah as well as Amar'e, Melo and even Larry Brown, who has a link to Mike Woodson. Oh boy

Mike Woodson and Larry Brown are both represented by Joe Glass.
Amare is represented by Happy Walters

Melo the aforementioned Leon Rose

Perbaps he considers the knicks because he knows the hammer will come down on him at UK. The man is a locust.

Perbaps he considers the knicks because he knows the hammer will come down on him at UK. The man is a locust.
locust or mantis from my signature?

ill pass on poythress. too much of a high volume ball hog in my opinion. as for cal.. i cant see him coaching in nyc.. as a gm maybe but not coaching.

Tick...tick...tick...

If Cal leaves you know something's brewing with the NCAA, either a recruiting scandal or an APR mess.

Always a good sign, but th e Knicks may just offer him too much money to turn down also. I don't get it; agree with Marsh on college coaches coming to the league.

i actually can see him going back to nets-- russian billionaire new arena-- Jay Z -- ton of money for free agents --

I could see this scenario.

Davis, Jones, Gilchirst, lamb and teague all go pro. Senior Miller is gone. Cal then loses out on Noel, Shabazz, and Bennett. Has Wiljter coming back and some decent freshman but nobody that can make an immediate impact.

Cal will look at this and see his team won't do very well. He then takes the money from the Knicks and makes it seem like the only reason Shabazz and Noel didn't come to kentucky is because he had already planned on leaving for the knicks. Not because they didn't want to play for him at Kentucky. He also will save face by not coaching a team that would probably suck.

Then probably after two years he leaves Knicks and goes to UCLA with a huge contract.

I could see this scenario.

Davis, Jones, Gilchirst, lamb and teague all go pro. Senior Miller is gone. Cal then loses out on Noel, Shabazz, and Bennett. Has Wiljter coming back and some decent freshman but nobody that can make an immediate impact.

Cal will look at this and see his team won't do very well. He then takes the money from the Knicks and makes it seem like the only reason Shabazz and Noel didn't come to kentucky is because he had already planned on leaving for the knicks. Not because they didn't want to play for him at Kentucky. He also will save face by not coaching a team that would probably suck.

Then probably after two years he leaves Knicks and goes to UCLA with a huge contract.
Knicks win a title, vacated in 2014 by the NCAA

For all the access that William Wesley, the famous World Wide Wes, has provided Calipari to star recruits, basketball’s most mysterious dealmaker is well positioned to bridge a Calipari deal with the Knicks too. Creative Artists Agency has its tentacles deep into the Knicks. Dolan still has to make a run first for Phil Jackson, and he could command a three-year, $35 million deal with those 11 titles and his own Knicks championship pedigree. Once the Knicks are done with interim coach Mike Woodson, Jackson still remains a possibility.

Whatever happens, Calipari isn’t leaving Kentucky to simply return to the NBA. He has it too good there, and only the Knicks would pay Calipari like a Doc Rivers, a Gregg Popovich. No general manager in the NBA would hire Calipari, only an owner. No front-office executive wants the power struggle with him – never mind believes he’s a difference maker. That’s what makes the Knicks and Calipari so intriguing: This is the job that will give him pause – Madison Square Garden, New York, the resources, all of it.

He has the relationship with LeBron James that Mike D’Antoni never did, has World Wide Wes on his side, and there’s always that contract opt-out in 2014 for James. With Anthony, Amar’e Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler on the payroll for years to come, recruiting James is a tough scenario. No cap issues at Kentucky, and nothing stands between Calipari and a run of Final Fours and NCAA titles.

Yes, the prospects of winning as Knicks coach are murkier, but John Calipari has never been about the sure thing. He loves that NBA lifestyle, loves the money, loves the biggest stage of all. When Kentucky finally won him his title on Monday night, he insisted that it would mean that he could coach without all the drama now. He didn’t mean it. John Calipari has the Wildcats wired for victory for years and years, but there’s bigger money and brighter lights calling in the distance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom