Camp watch | Syracusefan.com

Camp watch

GoSU96

Living Legend
Most important issues, Left Tackle and LB.

Really about the only open issues on the team, but huge to where this season will go.

There's no drama at QB, SU is riding with Tommy, he's the guy that is gong to set the ceiling.

Running back, Moe and Adams are 1 and 1a, Howard is the clear #3 and depth guy. Jordan can be an X factor on specials. If he breaks into the rotation he's really special.

WR is set, just settling on the rotation and if the 5th an 6th guys deserve PT.

OL, is there a legit LT on the roster, if there is watch out, if not, it's going to limit what the offense can do or expose Devito to big shots, which is the biggest risk for the season.

DL, not worried unless there are significant injuries, which is true for almost every other team in the country

LB, stars at the 1st and 3rd level, need one to emerge on the 2nd level to be considered a great defense. Want to be beat Clemson this year, need to limit Etienne and create opportunities for the DL and Secondary to impact the game, which are the two best units on the team.

Secondary, solid 2 deep at corner, legit ACC talent at safety. Other than Clemson and maybe FSU there isn't a WR unit that is going to create mismatches with this group.

Specials, just keep doing what you do

Last edited:
Honestly even one significant at DE and we are still fine. Jonathan would start at a lot of places. Alton Robinson and Kendall Coleman might be our best defenders and if one is out for a game I would expect the spread to be exactly the same or .5 difference. Awesome depth to have and hopefully not have to rely on.

I’ll be contrarian - I’m curious about the safeties. Read some good articles about how turnovers are not sustainable. Will Cisco take a step back? Will foster improve his cover skills? Will we limit chunk plays in the air across the entire secondary?

I’ll be contrarian - I’m curious about the safeties. Read some good articles about how turnovers are not sustainable. Will Cisco take a step back? Will foster improve his cover skills? Will we limit chunk plays in the air across the entire secondary?

The DB room is full of very high level IQ's, watching the first la familia video reaffirms that. I don't think there's anything flukey about this group and with Trill there is requisite level of swag to match.

My concerns:

Both tackle spots, which rb's can consistently pass block (where we may really miss Strick), and which one's can read blocking keys and shoot gaps. If we have answers to all of those... Look the **** out for this team.

My main concern is pass protection, not just finding our LT. The line gave up 38 sacks last year. 38! The year before I think 46. So progress between 17 and 18 season BUT 38 is still horrible. TD may go through his progressions faster than ED but until proven otherwise ED had better escapability. So I think that nets out a wash. If so the O-line must perform better than 38 sacks. TD will have the same injury issues ED had if he hits the turf that much in 19.
I like the fact the O-line coach is in year 2 to show his influence. If O-line takes care of its protections, that will bode extremely well for this team. I am not going to throw shade at the other QBs but if TD goes down it will certainly be the proverbial box of chocolates. No idea what we will get.

My biggest concern is the Oline. One big hit away from a not as good season as hoped.

Yep. Cisco is our most overrated player. He got burned in coverage a lot last year. Foster will be solid, but there is a realistic shot he does not progress. Trill Williams & Stritzinger are both going to be good if you count nickel as a sort of safety. Also, Frederick is very good, but he still gets beat. He is not elite at any one skill and it is incredibly unlikely he could be drafted in the NFL draft. The scary part about this team is that too many positions we are giving the benefit of the doubt to. How will the WRs hold up without the big presence of a Etta Tawo/Custis? Did we vastly undervalue the play of both Cody Conway and Koda Martin? Will the run game be better losing Dungey? How important was Slayton? Can the LBs step up? Will the special teams units be as good (I definitely expect a mean reversion in FG kicking %). Will DeVito be as good as we hope?

We have a very talented roster for the first time in a quick minute, but you can't count your chickens before they hatch. We could easily lose 4 coin flip ACC games plus playing at FSU and home against Clemson could be tough. I love this team but there is a reason the O/U is 7 wins. We are on the right track and a win at Clemson gives us a shot at the CFP. We want Bama baby!!!!

Prepare for the worst and pray for the best. Life of an SU football fan summed up.

The DB room is full of very high level IQ's, watching the first la familia video reaffirms that. I don't think there's anything flukey about this group and with Trill there is requisite level of swag to match.

My concerns:

Both tackle spots, which rb's can consistently pass block (where we may really miss Strick), and which one's can read blocking keys and shoot gaps. If we have answers to all of those... Look the **** out for this team.
Chunk plays have been a huge problem since the shafer era (as DC and HC). The only difference last year was an exponential increase in turnovers, otherwise it was more of the same.

Yep. Cisco is our most overrated player. He got burned in coverage a lot last year.

What?!

A lot of pro football focus are nerd nonsense with their grades but these are just facts.

"A true freshman standout all year for Cisco, he finishes the regular season with seven interceptions and nine pass breakups. In total, on his 445 snaps in coverage, he allowed just 45.2% of targeted passes to be caught and just a 45.6 passer rating when targeted. "

For a true freshmen that is unreal. He didn't make all american lists just because of interceptions.

What?!

A lot of pro football focus are nerd nonsense with their grades but these are just facts.

"A true freshman standout all year for Cisco, he finishes the regular season with seven interceptions and nine pass breakups. In total, on his 445 snaps in coverage, he allowed just 45.2% of targeted passes to be caught and just a 45.6 passer rating when targeted. "

For a true freshmen that is unreal. He didn't make all american lists just because of interceptions.

I think he mostly remembers the 3rd quarter of the first game the kid played as a true freshman.

I think he mostly remembers the 3rd quarter of the first game the kid played as a true freshman.
Yeah that’s what I was thinking cause I didn’t remember him getting beat too often after that. Plus Fred will get beat once in a while as des every cb ever but not too often.foster has improved every year here and will continue with that. Trill is gonna be a a. He is too good along with Cisco.

As good as Cisco, Fred, and Trill are Ify is going to end as our best secondary player by the end of the season.

Yep. Cisco is our most overrated player. He got burned in coverage a lot last year. Foster will be solid, but there is a realistic shot he does not progress. Trill Williams & Stritzinger are both going to be good if you count nickel as a sort of safety. Also, Frederick is very good, but he still gets beat. He is not elite at any one skill and it is incredibly unlikely he could be drafted in the NFL draft. The scary part about this team is that too many positions we are giving the benefit of the doubt to. How will the WRs hold up without the big presence of a Etta Tawo/Custis? Did we vastly undervalue the play of both Cody Conway and Koda Martin? Will the run game be better losing Dungey? How important was Slayton? Can the LBs step up? Will the special teams units be as good (I definitely expect a mean reversion in FG kicking %). Will DeVito be as good as we hope?

We have a very talented roster for the first time in a quick minute, but you can't count your chickens before they hatch. We could easily lose 4 coin flip ACC games plus playing at FSU and home against Clemson could be tough. I love this team but there is a reason the O/U is 7 wins. We are on the right track and a win at Clemson gives us a shot at the CFP. We want Bama baby!!!!

Prepare for the worst and pray for the best. Life of an SU football fan summed up.

Shi*, let’s just cancel the season now.

What?!

He's very good defending the pass. Could end up one of our best ever.

I'd be lying though if I said he doesn't make me nervous when we need him to make a tackle.

I think there are places where he can get a lot better. I do think he will.

I don’t see any of our dbs taking a step back. With all of the hard work they put in, watching film and maturity, it isn’t practical. I get that Cisco may not necessarily be an All American this year, but his play won’t get worse. These guys are only going to get better the more they play together. Do great players sometimes get burnt or miss a tackle once in a while, yes. Most do...
IMO the sky is the limit.

If you say Cisco and Fred are overrated because they get beat sometimes, you might as well say a .333 hitter sucks (fails 2 out of 3 times). Even taking off the Orange glasses (we were 115th in pass defense), that's an unrealistic metric - Richard Sherman gets beat 1/3 times. If anything, I'd say our secondary has bent without breaking and the younger guys have overachieved. Factoring in the conference we're in and basically a 3 star secondary with a freshman FS, the completion/TO numbers Go cited were stellar. The unit can only improve this season with more experience and greater depth.

Last edited:

Please show me a DB who doesn't get burned in coverage.

Also, please reference the freshman DB who played as many snaps as he did, who was beaten fewer times last year. That way, I can follow up as to why THEY weren't All-American over Cisco.

Chunk plays have been a huge problem since the shafer era (as DC and HC). The only difference last year was an exponential increase in turnovers, otherwise it was more of the same.

Yeah I haven't forgotten those either but, imo, it's always directly correlated to ability of our pass rush. Our DE group has me incredibly bullish on this defense along with the playmakers in the secondary to take advantage.

In my opinion we are going to see major improvements at the RB position Abdul Adams and WR Trishton Jackson will end up a breaking some receiving records this season.

With the talent we have in the defensive backfield I'll be very interested to see if C. Nunn can earn his way onto the field. The Miami fan that visited the board a short while ago was convinced he'd be our best db.

Last off-season everyone was saying the WR unit was in trouble. Who’d be the next AET. THIS system is built for WRs someone will easily step up and fill in for Custis.

Also wasn’t a huge Koda Martin fan. Not to say he wasn’t a good football player he is, but he wasn’t the anchor of the O line last season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom