Can someone summarize the LB recruiting

FrancoPizza

2018 Iggy Leading Minutes Per Game Winner
Someone smarter than me - what has Dinos strategy been recruiting the LB unit? Every other unit is showing signs of life OR there is help on the way for next year.

Please don’t tell me it’s just a matter of the linebackers gaining experience and that we’re stuck with this personnel for the foreseeable future.

shu 49

2nd String
Well we have 10 on roster but only use 3 so the rest (must be worse) than what we have now who are the worst we have had in my time watching su. No size, no speed, no downhill smack the shiiiiit outta someone attitude, no natural thought process on where Rb is running, and yet we didn’t try any other backer but 46 who played a series or at least a few plays. If I am Shy and Bam I would be gone after this year cause if we don’t at least try the kid now we are never gonna. Does ward practice lb ers to stay blocked and not come downhill and wait for Rb to kill them cause if he is it’s working.

Well we have 10 on roster but only use 3 so the rest (must be worse) than what we have now who are the worst we have had in my time watching su. No size, no speed, no downhill smack the shiiiiit outta someone attitude, no natural thought process on where Rb is running, and yet we didn’t try any other backer but 46 who played a series or at least a few plays. If I am Shy and Bam I would be gone after this year cause if we don’t at least try the kid now we are never gonna. Does ward practice lb ers to stay blocked and not come downhill and wait for Rb to kill them cause if he is it’s working.
I think Ward plays who he trusts and unfortunatley those who he trusts just aren't very good. I can't believe that any of the other linebackers on that team are not better than Whitner. If that is the case, this program will never come back. Ever!!!!!! I would like an explanation why Fagan is not playing? Not even traveling with the team. Is he hurt? Red Shirt?? He was a high target recruit who in two years has turned into the invisible man

The only thing I can figure out is that they put an emphasis on stopping the pass. Hence the 4-2-5 and Whitner a converted SS routinely playing on the inside and getting washed on inside zones.

They have recruited LBs with size. Many here thought we would have a different starting group by Week 7 because of the youth at this position. I have no idea on who has been good of the Williams, Cullen, Richards, Wallace group. But I think you can find 2 of them in there who can fill. And they should play.

I think they are trying to redshirt Fagan. Still looks safety sized.

phil77

All Conference
I think they have to play other people I don't care who you can "trust" in practice back to back games where the other team couldn't throw the ball and they just ran the ball straight ahead over and over again and we had no ability to stop it.

Play the young guys and tell them to see the ball and fire. We need someone to make some negative plays

Shrmdougluvr

Lover of Sherman Douglas
Our linebackers are clearly limited at the moment, but does the scheme cause them to play slow? Or does it cause us to play athletically inferior or players with better analytical ability?

TheCusian

Living Legend
There are good young guys with talent in the system - Wallace and Richards. They brought in a JUCO. Another kid from TX.

Playing Whitner and Guthrie and Armstrong means that they’ve outplayed them in some way or that it’s close enough, Dino is going with older guys.

I don’t know. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a change. I don’t know enough about what they are trying to do to know just how far away they are.

SoBeCuse

Living Legend
Something needs to change. This is basic stuff. Seems like they are just too slow and too weak. What’s there to even diagnose when everybody knows they are running over and over and over again.

shu 49

2nd String
Well when we blitz a gap or b gap we kinda force the lb to be aggressive. Generally works for us. The play that stands out of what we should be seeing is the sweep or off tackle play Pitt ran and Armstrong came downhill hard and fast and met him for a 1 or 2yd loss. Didn’t look like he blitzed but u almost think he did. That’s playing lb. Guthrie makes good plays when he blitzes. If we don’t have anyone better than we need to situational blitz into gap they think they are running at.

PhatOrange

Living Legend
Shafer Holdovers

Troy Henderson - transferred in offseason
RJR - Shy Cullen - (6-0 224)
SR Kielan Whitner - (6-0 215) - converted DB

Recruited

SR Ryan Guthrie - JUCO (6-2 224)

JR Andrew Armstrong - (6-2 228)
JR Lakiem Willaims - JUCO (6-0 234)

RSO Tim Walton - (6-2 232)
SO - Nadarius Fagan - (6-1 213) (hasn't played looks like a redshirt)

RFR - Tyrell Richards - playing both DL/LB (6-4 227)
RFR - Kadeem Trotter - (6-2 206)

FR - Tre Allison - (6-2 230)
FR - Juan Wallace - (6-2 215)

Committed - not signed

Geoff Cantin - (6-4 220)

*height and weights are off current roster

Last edited:

Chip

Living Legend
Shafer Holdovers

Troy Henderson - transferred in offseason
RJR - Shy Cullen - (6-0 224)

Recruited

SR Ryan Guthrie - JUCO (6-2 224)
SR Kielan Whitner - (6-0 215)

JR Andrew Armstrong - (6-2 228)
JR Lakiem Willaims - JUCO (6-0 234)

RSO Tim Walton - (6-2 232)
SO - Nadarius Fagan - (6-1 213) (hasn't played looks like a redshirt)

RFR - Tyrell Richards - playing both DL/LB (6-4 227)
RFR - Kadeem Trotter - (6-2 206)

FR - Tre Allison - (6-2 230)
FR - Juan Wallace - (6-2 215)

Committed - not signed

Geoff Cantin - (6-4 220)

*height and weights are off current roster
Good list, now how about a little commentary (from anyone who wants to join in). Would love to know what people think we have here. Be brutally honest of course.

Ok I’ll give brutal honesty. Our linebackers are taught to line up 4 yards or so behind lineman on most plays. Aside from blitz’s and special packages they are to wait for the play to develop before moving forward... in most cases they are to take a first step backward. This was something Zaire and Paris both had trouble adapting to. After seeing the play devils they are to drop into coverage or go for the running back or qb if it’s a run. The problem is for this like the true Tampa 2 you need elite size and speed for this style. Think 245lb 6’4 5.3 speed. Very few of that available. Why do you need that? Because by stepping back first you allow the running back on run plays to get moving. If you meet a player 3 yards beyond the line not only have they already gained 3 but they are moving much faster toward our linebackers than our linebackers are moving towards them. If the back is 210 or more, like some of the elite backs we face, the collision causes or backs to make a choice... take a full speed hit and get knocked back or try and make a tackle from the side... Both result in more yards gained. So to answer who on our team can do this? Look to the weights and speed. I would say shy who is playing at 230 and lakiem playing around 235 would be the heaviest. They are also the 2 fastest... 5.4 area. Or we change to bringing linebackers up between the holes in the line to meet them earlier or have them going forward first to meet them before they gain momentum and yards. This will expose the secondary more on pass plays but pick your poison. I know what I would like to see happen in the next game of course but we will see.

Trueblue25

Great Dungey’s Kneecap
Im so confused on what the staffs plans are with Fagan and Trotter. These are two exceptional athletes that seem better purposef to be ACC safeties, but I could be very wrong

orangepassion

All American
Or we change to bringing linebackers up between the holes in the line to meet them earlier or have them going forward first to meet them before they gain momentum and yards. This will expose the secondary more on pass plays but pick your poison. I know what I would like to see happen in the next game of course but we will see.
With our pass rush, I think it is a no-brainer which to choose, particularly with run first teams with average QB's (most of our remaining schedule)

I thought I read that Tyrell Richards was killing it in practice last year at MLB. He certainly has the size for the position. Why bury him at DE? Does he not have the speed for LB?

RF2044

Living Legend
Im so confused on what the staffs plans are with Fagan and Trotter. These are two exceptional athletes that seem better purposef to be ACC safeties, but I could be very wrong

Here's the deal: our scheme requires bigger linebackers. Shafer didn't recruit bigger LBs, he preferred speed over size with the guys he targeted for his different scheme.

We have to get from point A to point B, and it will be a progression.

Fagan had committable offers blue chip programs; Trotter was called by the midwest SKOWT writer as the best player in the state of Ohio before getting injured prior to his senior year. Fagan and Trotter both are tall, but light, which in theory means that they have room on their frames to add good weight. Might take them a few years to get there, but hopefully they get there after 2-3 years of being immersed in a collegiate S&C program.

The progression will be to go from LBs who were 6-0 215 pounds [like Bennett and Franklin] to guys who are 6-2 / 6-3 like Trotter, and maybe 235 pounds. But those two need to "grow" into that size, which will take time.

Richards doesn't have to do that as much. Wallace doesn't have to do that as much. Allison doesn't have to do that as much. But they are young.

So -- get taller LBs with the frame to grow while our program was still down was step 1. Get bigger guys at LB is step 2. Get higher rated bigger guys is step 3, once we start to win consistently.

Top Bottom