can we all agree that Steve Rene is not the answer | Syracusefan.com

can we all agree that Steve Rene is not the answer

kcsu

Living Legend
Time to give Morgan or Desir a shot. Rene has no feel for returning punts. He makes poor decisions, isnt very fast, and has never shown any moves. I have no idea what the staff sees in this kid.

Yeah I have a hard time believing that we don't have a better option.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

He can catch the ball. And according to our uber-conservative head coach, that's good enough for him.

There's got to be someone better.

is it really fair to rip on a kid for a coaches decision.

relax
I'm not knocking the kid. It's not a knock to say that I am surprised that he's really our best returner.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

As we approach the top 25, are you whiners going to lift your games as well?

Blah blah this. Blah blah that.

As we approach the top 25, are you whiners going to lift your games as well?

Blah blah this. Blah blah that.
Can you translate this post into English?

I don't know if he's the answer or not, but the blocking sure ain't the answer. Why are we the only team that can't return a freakin' punt...and I'm not counting backwards?

what did he do wrong today, other than get killed one time.

Completely misjudging a kick and then chasing it way into our own territory.

I'm okay with sticking with experience/steady hands for the first couple games against tough competition. Hopefully we'll have lots of chances to experiment this weekend.

in retrospect not having a punt returner is a better option, at least for those two games.

Rene good kid, catches the ball but needs to be replaced ASAP. Our punt return is by far and away the worst in the NCAA and has been so since 2005. I remember only 1 punt return that was good it was by Taj Smith in 2005 against Miami(Oh) at the Dome.

I'd say Jamel Riddle was the last punt returner who was actually a threat to make a play every time he caught a punt, right? Or am I missing someone in between?

The play where he got killed should have been a penalty. You get a 1 yard buffer when returning punts...seemed like he was on him just as he caught it.

I'd say Jamel Riddle was the last punt returner who was actually a threat to make a play every time he caught a punt, right? Or am I missing someone in between?
Yeah. Mike Holmes was pretty good.

I think Holmes was our last one to do some damage. Riddle was a major reason for that V Tech win in Blacksburg though.

Rene good kid, catches the ball but needs to be replaced ASAP. Our punt return is by far and away the worst in the NCAA and has been so since 2005. I remember only 1 punt return that was good it was by Taj Smith in 2005 against Miami(Oh) at the Dome.
Don't forget Max Suter. He was good returner but also did not have any blocking. He could bounce off tacklers and had good cutting ability. Don't forget who our coach was then either.

I think Kobena is equally as bad in the return game
you are right. Kobena is very fast but just doesn't have the instincts to find holes. Very fustrating watching him return kicks, almost like Nassib needing to add a little touch on his shorter passes Kobena needs to learn to use his speed and moves to find holes and not just 100 percent full speed ahead.