Can we be optimistic? | Syracusefan.com

Can we be optimistic?

DonLightfoot

All Conference
Our six conference wins so far are all against the bottom five teams in the conference standings. We've lost both games versus ranked teams, of which we certainly let one get away. Our remaining schedule is tough to say the least. Maybe it's a good thing we played the weaker teams early which hopefully will give our young kids a little more time to develop. Yes, we have some issues with certain players like rebounding and defense. However, for me, I like the hustle and energy they are putting forward. Will it be enough to get us to the post season? Obviously hard to say until things play out. If we get most of them returning next year I think optimism can be high.

I'm not optimistic for an NCAA bid but optimistic that this team will be fun to watch. Inconsistent, maddening at times but fun. That's a nice change.
The White/Gillon team didn’t make the tournament, but they were a joy to watch the last quarter of the season, completely different teams but same idea for me.

Now is far more enjoyable than it was during the OOC.

Our six conference wins so far are all against the bottom five teams in the conference standings. We've lost both games versus ranked teams, of which we certainly let one get away. Our remaining schedule is tough to say the least. Maybe it's a good thing we played the weaker teams early which hopefully will give our young kids a little more time to develop. Yes, we have some issues with certain players like rebounding and defense. However, for me, I like the hustle and energy they are putting forward. Will it be enough to get us to the post season? Obviously hard to say until things play out. If we get most of them returning next year I think optimism can be high.
Optimistic for this year sure, can’t hurt and gotta have hope, especially for the acc tourney, but for next year banking on most returning?

Don’t see it, it’ll be mostly a whole new collection of dreamers ready to follow this group of dreamers to the $ leaving too early to chase that dream. They’ll be cobbling together a squad trying to become some semblance of a team again all over again once more.

I tell my friends with just a passing interest in this stuff, don’t read these kids bios, don’t emotionally invest in any way as in the brave new world of NIL, portal combined with ones and dones it’s fruitless and pointless.

It’s why I now sometimes forget we’re on and miss some before I scramble to watch whereas in the past I’m lined up ready to go at tip-off/kickoff.

That’s more than you likely asked for but it’s Sunday morn, got some time, have to be candid and honest to a question like that.

Last edited:
I agree. We’ll learn a lot over the next 3. I’d be more optimistic if we had a class coming in next year to supplement our returning guys but I’m hoping the staff plans to change their time about the portal and go that route.

At the very least we’ve seen flashes from just about everyone. It’s unfortunate but have to be prepared for at least 1-2 kids transfer after the season based on the current landscape of college basketball.

anything better than 6-5 the rest of the way is a plus. really need to steal at least 1 game vs the better teams. range from 4-7 to 8-3 is possible I would say.

It would really help if the duke/Clem/Virg games we had a nice shooting game for once.

Optimistic for this year sure, can’t hurt and gotta have hope, especially for the acc tourney, but for next year banking on most returning?

Don’t see it, it’ll be mostly a whole new collection of dreamers ready to follow this group of dreamers to the $ leaving too early to chase that dream. They’ll be cobbling together a squad trying to become some semblance of a team again all over again once more.

I tell my friends with just a passing interest in this stuff, don’t read these kids bios, don’t emotionally invest in any way as in the brave new world of NIL, portal combined with ones and dones it’s fruitless and pointless.

It’s why I now sometimes forget we’re on and miss some before I scramble to watch whereas in the past I’m lined up ready to go at tip-off/kickoff.

That’s more than you likely asked for but it’s Sunday morn, got some time, have to be candid and honest to a question like that.
I think Adam Weitsman will do damage control and keep most of the team together. Two years ago when we were gutted we didn't have NIL money. I optimistically think we'll only lose two guys at most.

I think Adam Weitsman will do damage control and keep most of the team together. Two years ago when we were gutted we didn't have NIL money. I optimistically think we'll only lose two guys at most.
Also, my theory is JB understands the portal is the best way to build a team right now, but he has said numerous times he wants to leave the program in a good place when he retires, and upper classmen transfers won't do that. They'll graduate when JB leaves and the next coach will have to rebuild from scratch. I think JB intentionally didn't get transfers so he can build a young core to pass off to the next guy (my guess is after next season). That would mean this isn't a normal year, and the program, and Adam, will do everything to try to keep the team together.

The team is full of young talent.
It's clear they've learned a lot...including how to play together.
Abso
... Maybe it's a good thing we played the weaker teams early which hopefully will give our young kids a little more time to develop. Yes, we have some issues with certain players like rebounding and defense. However, for me, I like the hustle and energy they are putting forward. Will it be enough to get us to the post season? Obviously hard to say until things play out. If we get most of them returning next year I think optimism can be high.

The team is full of young talent.
It's clear they've learned a lot...including how to play together.
Absolutely was good to play weaker ACC teams early to both learn and get some confidence and some wins.

Looking forward to the Jesse-Bacot matchup tomorrow.

Our six conference wins so far are all against the bottom five teams in the conference standings. We've lost both games versus ranked teams, of which we certainly let one get away. Our remaining schedule is tough to say the least.

You make good points. I think it all comes down to how good the defense can be. In years past when the Orange were successful the defense always became amazingly great by the end of February early March. My hope is this year is no different.

I think the real question is will 19 or 20 wins be enough. The team needs a "quadrant 4" victory which could come against Clemson (away game against a ranked team). Say the team goes 3-4 over the next 7 games leading up to Clemson then they will be 16-11. If they beat Clemson they will be 17-11. Then they have Pittsburgh away, Georgia Tech at home, and Wake Forest at home which are all winnable games. Then the Orange will end up being 20-11 which might be good enough to get an outstanding bid or play-in bid. Winning 1 or 2 games during the ACC tournament will also help. It's going to be close!

I started my yearly look at NCAA tourney possibilities . Syracuse obviously is going to need to win some of these bigger games but If they can gets some in the next couple weeks and get up to 60 ish in Net then we'll be in very good shape down the stretch. The A10 is helping everyone this year cause they will be a 1 bid league and usually get 3 teams in. The Big 10 and Big 12 all have good NET but they are gonna have some really poor conference records so not sure how that will go. Early looks have me seeing 14 teams competing for 10 spots with Syracuse at the bottom but not far off cause of ACC record and bigger games remaining. 14 teams are not in any order but need to cheer against everyone but Orange. (Pitt, Wake, Cuse, Penn St, Wisconsin, Michigan, Northwestern, Oklahoma St. Florida, Oregon, USC, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Creighton). Also Charleston and FAU will prob be Mid Major bid stealers in they lose tourney. So could be 8 pots for those 14 teams.

People can be whatever they want, but me personally, I won't be optimistic until there is a reason to be.

We need that first big win, then another, and then another.

Ya gotta win, not just play good ball for stretches.

It’s still tourney or bust for this program. If Joe and Jesse are good, we make it. If they go back to where they have been at times this yr, we don’t.

It’s still tourney or bust for this program. If Joe and Jesse are good, we make it. If they go back to where they have been at times this yr, we don’t.

I don't think it's that cut and dry. The team, Joe, Jesse can play good to close the season and miss the NCAA's.

If we get to 12-8 or 13-7 I would say the team has played well in the ACC given its expectations, and its likely Joe and Jesse have probably also played good to close the ACC season. And we still probably are on the outside of the NCAA before the ACC tourney starts.

Unfortunately the OOC with no Q1 or Q2 wins, and two bad losses (including a Q4 loss) really set us back.

I don't think it's that cut and dry. The team, Joe, Jesse can play good to close the season and miss the NCAA's.

If we get to 12-8 or 13-7 I would say the team has played well in the ACC given its expectations, and its likely Joe and Jesse have probably also played good to close the ACC season. And we still probably are on the outside of the NCAA before the ACC tourney starts.

Unfortunately the OOC with no Q1 or Q2 wins, and two bad losses (including a Q4 loss) really set us back.
If we win 2/3 here, I think we will eventually do enough to get in imho

I started my yearly look at NCAA tourney possibilities . Syracuse obviously is going to need to win some of these bigger games but If they can gets some in the next couple weeks and get up to 60 ish in Net then we'll be in very good shape down the stretch. The A10 is helping everyone this year cause they will be a 1 bid league and usually get 3 teams in. The Big 10 and Big 12 all have good NET but they are gonna have some really poor conference records so not sure how that will go. Early looks have me seeing 14 teams competing for 10 spots with Syracuse at the bottom but not far off cause of ACC record and bigger games remaining. 14 teams are not in any order but need to cheer against everyone but Orange. (Pitt, Wake, Cuse, Penn St, Wisconsin, Michigan, Northwestern, Oklahoma St. Florida, Oregon, USC, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Creighton). Also Charleston and FAU will prob be Mid Major bid stealers in they lose tourney. So could be 8 pots for those 14 teams.

The A-10 hasn't got 3 teams in the tournament since 2018. So its probably 1 bid saved. Although its quite possible the WCC doesn't get 3 bids either like last year. So that's another 1. So that's a positive. And it will be tough for the MWC to get 4. So the non P6 could be giving up a few seeds this year.

I would say the big "mid-major" factor that has remained constant with last year is the MWC which has good OOC numbers as a conference. Will they get 4 seeds against like last year? They currently have five teams with NETS between 21 and 34, so with how things mix in conference play they can be a 3 to 5 team league. Or will the committee remember their flop from last year and limit them to only 3.

The top 3 conferences last year (BIG, B12, SEC) got 21 bids. I expect them to probably surpass that this year. B12 might jump from 6 to 8, and the BIG may well maintain its 9 - they don't need to have great conference records because their NET's are so high that most wins in conference are Q1 or Q2 wins.

The Big 12 probably had the best OOC results of any conference in the last 10 years. I think they get somewhere between 7 to 9 teams (out of 10) in.
9 pf the Big-12 teams already have 3 Q1 wins.
Every in conference road win will be considered a Q1 win.
Every in conference home win will be a Q1 or Q2 win.
The Big 12 has had 6-12 teams get in the tournament before.
We could see a 5-13 Big 12 team get in this year as crazy as it sounds.

Last edited:
Also, my theory is JB understands the portal is the best way to build a team right now, but he has said numerous times he wants to leave the program in a good place when he retires, and upper classmen transfers won't do that. They'll graduate when JB leaves and the next coach will have to rebuild from scratch. I think JB intentionally didn't get transfers so he can build a young core to pass off to the next guy (my guess is after next season). That would mean this isn't a normal year, and the program, and Adam, will do everything to try to keep the team together.
Givern that we have no recruits for 2023, this would be a great year for JB to retire - more sholarships for the new guy to get the players he wants.

No reasonable chance to make the tourney, I don't think it will even be close, but I've enjoyed this season more than most.

Like we discussed in the "next 7" thread weeks ago, there are multiple steps. 17 wins is step 1 - winning season and possibly an NIT bid. 17 wins would mean a .500 ACC record and a shot to play in a tourney but even more importantly be above .500 overall.

From there we start hoping for bigger things but right now as a program it's winning season first. Baby steps back to the program
being in a better position for whatever and whoever comes next.

The White/Gillon team didn’t make the tournament, but they were a joy to watch the last quarter of the season, completely different teams but same idea for me.

Now is far more enjoyable than it was during the OOC.
That team was a good senior season from Roberson or a big soph season from Lyndon (both of which I was sure were going to happen) away from being a really good team. Still confused by both of those players’ seasons to this day. Lyndon was good but I really thought he was going to be an All-ACC guy. Roberson really struggled. Just odd.

That team was a good senior season from Roberson or a big soph season from Lyndon (both of which I was sure were going to happen) away from being a really good team. Still confused by both of those players’ seasons to this day. Lyndon was good but I really thought he was going to be an All-ACC guy. Roberson really struggled. Just odd.
Team turned around so well after the Howard and Gillian starting spot switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom