Can we go back to a dual threat QB?? | Syracusefan.com

Can we go back to a dual threat QB??

Cusedad2X

Scout Team
I miss the pure college level run/pass type quarterback. Are they made for the NFL?? Not many...but I think that type of QB can hide many deficiencies( i.e. line, rb, etc.) . This was not meant to be a Dungey thread. However, McPherson, McNabb...even Marvin Graves added that dimension that probably made us better than our overall talent on the field. I know it would be a shift in philosophy for Dino. But I think the dual option quarterback is the way to go for mid-level teams to show better with lesser all over talent on offense. This is SU not the NFL. I know it looks good for the program to have NFL players. However, we need to win HERE first before this program can return to sustained success. Just my opinion...

And if you don't have a dual threat QB, your QB at least has to be savvy in avoiding pressure. I was really impressed with Pickett last night. I mean we would rush 7 guys and he was so effective at not panicking, sidestepping pressure and making an easy throw.

What I saw from the wide receivers in the first half was absolutely embarrassing.

im not sure about the second half, as I had to leave the game.

Defense looked a lot better in the second half but no consistency or efficiency on the offensive side. One great pass that led to a touchdown and I believe another TD scored after a turnover. They just couldn't sustain drives the entire game. Impossible to play hurry up style when you can't get first downs.

And if you don't have a dual threat QB, your QB at least has to be savvy in avoiding pressure. I was really impressed with Pickett last night. I mean we would rush 7 guys and he was so effective at not panicking, sidestepping pressure and making an easy throw.
Is it really savvy? it’s more like basic common sense. Seems like a magical quality because all you have to say is “boo” and our qb panicked.

What I saw from the wide receivers in the first half was absolutely embarrassing.

im not sure about the second half, as I had to leave the game.
They looked good in the 2nd half and we found the mythical TE again...

Same
I will say it was a breath of fresh air seeing Welch just getting the ball out even though some of his throws where ground balls to the WR.
It was nice but he’s far from being an answer

I’ve come to realize that Syracuse will never get a truly elite drop back passer who can use the Dome as a passing haven because anyone that good is going somewhere else. So it seems like it’s going to be a middling traditional qb, or finding a non traditional qb who can do multiple things. I hate it because I always wanted to think that somehow we could convince a truly elite cannon qb that they could break records in the Dome en route to the NFL. But they would all rather be a 2nd or 3rd stringer at a top 5-10 school and hope they get a shot some day.

May just have to try to find the best at something non traditional and find a way to make it work.

I’ve come to realize that Syracuse will never get a truly elite drop back passer who can use the Dome as a passing haven because anyone that good is going somewhere else. So it seems like it’s going to be a middling traditional qb, or finding a non traditional qb who can do multiple things. I hate it because I always wanted to think that somehow we could convince a truly elite cannon qb that they could break records in the Dome en route to the NFL. But they would all rather be a 2nd or 3rd stringer at a top 5-10 school and hope they get a shot some day.

May just have to try to find the best at something non traditional and find a way to make it work.
You're giving up on this way too quickly.

You're giving up on this way too quickly.

Agree. If I were to say we can only win with dual threat, it would be because I don't know that we'll ever recruit and develop the OL to truly take advantage of the drop back passer's abilities. Not because we won't find the drop back passer.

I miss the pure college level run/pass type quarterback. Are they made for the NFL?? Not many...but I think that type of QB can hide many deficiencies( i.e. line, rb, etc.) . This was not meant to be a Dungey thread. However, McPherson, McNabb...even Marvin Graves added that dimension that probably made us better than our overall talent on the field. I know it would be a shift in philosophy for Dino. But I think the dual option quarterback is the way to go for mid-level teams to show better with lesser all over talent on offense. This is SU not the NFL. I know it looks good for the program to have NFL players. However, we need to win HERE first before this program can return to sustained success. Just my opinion...
su best years were with dual qbs--my personal favorite was wally mahle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom