Can we talk about AG for a second... | Syracusefan.com

Can we talk about AG for a second...

OrangeinDC

Mission: Always destroy Bayside44 in Hoops!
AG - Two things to chop it up about...

First... JB's handling of AG sometimes is frustrating and inconsistent to me, but is there a method to his madness here? Players are motivated differently and it seems like JB is hard on this kid (sometimes really hard), but could it be because JB sees his real potential and it's what he uses to try and bring it out? Also, mentally it seems AB is able to handle it (not saying he likes it).

AG does things on this team that no one else can and you can see that the kid has different gears to his game. I knew his rep was as a shooter coming in, but I had no idea he was as athletic as he is. The kid has freaking bounce! AG playing his "A" game is huge for us, his potential once he tightens up his handle and gets his game mental together is high. The kid seems coachable and I haven't seen any bad body language or energy from him.

Question: could it be that JB's trying to motivate AB this way because he knows his ceiling is higher than maybe even AG believes and wants him to get it? or Nah...?

Second ... Sometime people here really speak on this kid in a way that does not reflect his true value to the team. He is not a player that we can just sit and bring off the bench when some other players need a blow. AG is probably our 2nd best player and probably should only play fewer minutes then QG. AG does some boneheaded things sometimes and is still adjusting to his role here and as a player, but he brings so much to the table for us.

Thoughts?

I think, without knowing at all, that JB wants the kid to be in the game and playing smart all the time, and not coasting and just taking easy shots. Illinois tries to motivate him (maybe) by not starting him. JB by benching him. Kid is not good enough to coast.

He plays over 30 minutes per game. We have 4 other guys who can contribute at the 3 or 4; Woody, Braswell, Marek, Guerrier. And Buddy can play the 3 for limited stretches. He’s starting and getting lots of minutes.

Effort can be a bit of an issue for him at times and he can be careless with the ball, which cost him minutes against Miami. But he’s very talented and an important part of this team’s success.

He’s a one year rental.

First... JB's handling of AG sometimes is frustrating and inconsistent to me, but is there a method to his madness here? Players are motivated differently and it seems like JB is hard on this kid (sometimes really hard), but could it be because JB sees his real potential and it's what he uses to try and bring it out? Also, mentally it seems AB is able to handle it (not saying he likes it).

AG does things on this team that no one else can and you can see that the kid has different gears to his game. I knew his rep was as a shooter coming in, but I had no idea he was as athletic as he is. The kid has freaking bounce! AG playing his "A" game is huge for us, his potential once he tightens up his handle and gets his game mental together is high. The kid seems coachable and I haven't seen any bad body language or energy from him.

Question: could it be that JB's trying to motivate AB this way because he knows his ceiling is higher than maybe even AG believes and wants him to get it? or Nah...?

Second ... Sometime people here really speak on this kid in a way that does not reflect his true value to the team. He is not a player that we can just sit and bring off the bench when some other players need a blow. AG is probably our 2nd best player and probably should only play fewer minutes then QG. AG does some boneheaded things sometimes and is still adjusting to his role here and as a player, but he brings so much to the table for us.

Thoughts?
Good post.
AG was tremendous today (after being kind of lousy last game...after being tremendous the game before that...)
It seems like he’s a kid w pretty thick skin as far as getting JB’s wrath and he also seems very coachable.

lucky to get him as an xfer

Thoughts?

He had an outstanding game against Va Tech, and he has played lights out at times this year. But there have been some times he has earned that yelling at from Boeheim. When he plays like that, he's a really good player.

his offensive game is either amazing or infuriating, there is no in between.

he's been at his best when he's rebounding the ball and staying active on defense. we need that more than the shooting.

AGs dad was a stud in college, solid in the NBA, and an NBA assistant coach. His brother and sister were both top 10 recruits.

safe to say he can handle a lot of coaching
Dad was Tuff!

Griffin had an awesome bounce-back game today! Happy for him and the team. But did anyone else notice in the last minute or two of the game he looked at the sideline and told JB that he needed to come out. JB asked him what was wrong and i could tell he mouthed “my knee.”
JB must have asked him what was wrong and he replied “It hurts.” (Lol to that exchange.) Hope it isn’t anything serious and that doesn’t become a nagging issue.

AG often lets his offense impact his defense. That's a major no-no in JB's world. I also think AG has been hurt by the loss of practices, where bad habits are corrected.

He's a two stuck playing the three. He's a talented kid. He seems to lack basketball IQ, and has lapses, which surprises me for the son of a former NBAer.

He's a good player who like a lot of guys on this team, thinks he's better than he is. Also like a lot of guys on this team, I think he's a point counter.
He’s better than good. He does need to get better at the situational part of the game. He has numbers at every statistical category so I don’t necessarily buy the point counter comment

He’s better than good. He does need to get better at the situational part of the game. He has numbers at every statistical category so I don’t necessarily buy the point counter comment

I think he’s “potentially” better than good. He’s been the best player on the floor in some games. He’s also arguably been the worst player on the floor sometimes.

If he can improve his handle, shot selection, learn his role defensively, and play consistently, then he’ll be a star.

I think he’s “potentially” better than good. He’s been the best player on the floor in some games. He’s also arguably been the worst player on the floor sometimes.

If he can improve his handle, shot selection, learn his role defensively, and play consistently, then he’ll be a star.

Yeah, he's tantalizing because he can do a lot of things. I find the inconsistent handle a bit maddening as it seems more about doing too much than him lacking a handle altogether.

I believe in AG. When he is properly motivated, he is so freaking good. He just has to find a way to be angry on the floor on every play. I think JB is hard on him because that is what AG signed up for. If he wants to go to the NBA, he has to win every play. He is prone to spurts. He has it in him to dominate games. He can score at all levels. He can rebound. He is athletic enough to defend anyone. He is loose with the ball. He needs to tighten that up and stay focused. He is going to be great down the stretch.

He plays over 30 minutes per game. We have 4 other guys who can contribute at the 3 or 4; Woody, Braswell, Marek, Guerrier. And Buddy can play the 3 for limited stretches. He’s starting and getting lots of minutes.

Effort can be a bit of an issue for him at times and he can be careless with the ball, which cost him minutes against Miami. But he’s very talented and an important part of this team’s success.

He’s a one year rental.
One? Not

he’s the energizer bunny. He makes some BONEHEADED plays but we’d probably not worry about it if our starting guards weren’t playing so remarkably poorly together

He’ll never sniff the 2 because that would reduce playing time for certain peoples

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom