Can we talk about the concession operation again... | Syracusefan.com

Can we talk about the concession operation again...

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
we need to professionalize these stands, and the school needs to handle the lines, communicating what food is sold out, and getting everyone served faster a top priority. There is no excuse with Saturday's crowd for a trip to the concession stand to take over 10 minutes. People in front of me after waiting 14 minutes got a flat soda, cold pretzel and were told hot dogs would take 10 minutes. It's minor league and needs to be better.

we need to professionalize these stands, and the school needs to handle the lines, communicating what food is sold out, and getting everyone served faster a top priority. There is no excuse with Saturday's crowd for a trip to the concession stand to take over 10 minutes. People in front of me after waiting 14 minutes got a flat soda, cold pretzel and were told hot dogs would take 10 minutes. It's minor league and needs to be better.

Do they still let random volunteer groups manage the concessions? While I like the concept, I think that makes for a terribly inconsistent operation.

Gotta love how at half time a beer stand I went too was sold out of 2/3 of the taps. How the hell do we not have another keg instantly tapped in? And it’s not like they were drank dry... it was holy cross at noon. Just bush league stuff.

Minor league????

Let’s go with high school

Gotta love how at half time a beer stand I went too was sold out of 2/3 of the taps. How the hell do we not have another keg instantly tapped in? And it’s not like they were drank dry... it was holy cross at noon. Just bush league stuff.
I just assumed they weren’t running taps for Holy Cross, every keg stand outside 319 and 320 were untapped and abandoned.

A lot of work study kids. Again concept is good but yeah it needs to be professionalized. I bet it's a point of discussion between Athletics and the school itself

I just assumed they weren’t running taps for Holy Cross, every keg stand outside 319 and 320 were untapped and abandoned.
Here's what happened, in my opinion. Jana Barnello got her 15 minutes of fame and subsequently the pendulum swung all the way over to shutting down most of the concourse craft stands in the 300's. Brutal overreaction, especially with how small the rest of the crowds will be for the remainder of the year.

Last edited:
The food at the Dome is terrible. It truly is, aside from the popcorn (which is cold most of the time) it is all downright horrible. The hot-dog in the tin foil wrap is always soggy and tastes like rubber. I gave up on that a while back. The fact they are still using mustard and ketchup packets and don't have pumps is very 1970's, like get with the times.

I was sitting near someone who tried ordering a sausage sandwich a week or two back and the stand wouldn't let him have one because "their machine was down" and they couldn't ring up the sausage sandwich on the register. So your making them, the guy could see it and you were about to hand it to him, it is an arms length's away from him...but you wouldn't sell it to him because of an internal cash register issue? It was laughable...LOL. Of course it was a casual fan who isn't at the Dome often for games and he was like "is it always this way?" I couldn't lie and said well I don't eat much of anything here anymore but when it comes to situations like that, yeah sounds about right...lol.

The other issue is you have to literally walk around to find which concession stand sells what thing you may want. Every concession stand should sell everything. And only the 100 level has the "special" things ya know like Pizza, hamburgers, and Fries. Like if you literally want french fries but sit in the 200 or 300 level you gotta go downstairs and do a lap around the dome to find the 1 or 2 stands that sell it. It is crazy beyond belief how they operate that place. The lost revenue and money they are letting out the door is crazy. That's why now when I go to the games with the people I am with we stop and eat first, then at the Dome maybe buy a beer or a soda but that's it. As the food stinks for the most part, but even if you want a little snack or something to hold you over... it is impossible to get what you want in a reasonable way or amount of time. As they have made that a challenge and make you jump through hoops. No thanks, will just spend the money elsewhere

Here's what happened. Jana Barnello got her 15 minutes of fame and subsequently the pendulum swung all the way over to shutting down most of the concourse craft stands in the 300's. Brutal overreaction, especially with how small the rest of the crowds will be for the remainder of the year.
... you’re shi’ing me. I prefer blue lights but wow that does seem like a massive overreaction. There’s better ways to go about this.

do what everyone else does and outsource to companies like delaware north that know what they're doing.

The food at the Dome is terrible. It truly is, aside from the popcorn (which is cold most of the time) it is all downright horrible. The hot-dog in the tin foil wrap is always soggy and tastes like rubber. I gave up on that a while back. The fact they are still using mustard and ketchup packets and don't have pumps is very 1970's, like get with the times.

I was sitting near someone who tried ordering a sausage sandwich a week or two back and the stand wouldn't let him have one because "their machine was down" and they couldn't ring up the sausage sandwich on the register. So your making them, the guy could see it and you were about to hand it to him, it is an arms length's away from him...but you wouldn't sell it to him because of an internal cash register issue? It was laughable...LOL. Of course it was a casual fan who isn't at the Dome often for games and he was like "is it always this way?" I couldn't lie and said well I don't eat much of anything here anymore but when it comes to situations like that, yeah sounds about right...lol.

The other issue is you have to literally walk around to find which concession stand sells what thing you may want. Every concession stand should sell everything. And only the 100 level has the "special" things ya know like Pizza, hamburgers, and Fries. Like if you literally want french fries but sit in the 200 or 300 level you gotta go downstairs and do a lap around the dome to find the 1 or 2 stands that sells it. It is crazy beyond belief how they operate that place. The lost revenue and money they are letting out the door is crazy. That's why now when I go to the games with the people I am with we stop and eat first, then at the Dome maybe buy a beer or a soda but that's it.

Regarding this, this is the case at most arenas especially those with specialty foods. Anytime I go to Citi, MSG or Barclays, I end up walking around the entire concourse to get specifically what I want especially at Citi Field. I bring my own food in anyway, but this isn't solely a Dome issue. Everything else mentioned is valid though. It was like that when I was a student and to my dismay even worse when I came back for the Clemson game. I sincerely hope that Sala and Dome operations are looking at improving this for the 2020-21 academic year. Get rid of the volunteer groups and make it more professional including the equipment used. Card readers and Android/Samsung/Apple Pay should also be options at this point in time.

Last edited:
Regarding this, this is the case at most arenas especially those with specialty foods. Anytime I go to Citi, MSG or Barclays, I end up walking around the entire concourse to get specifically what I want especially at Citi Field. I bring my own food in anyway, but this isn't solely a Dome issue. Everything else mentioned in valid though. It was like that when I was a student and to my dismay even worse when I came back for the Clemson game. I sincerely hope that Sala and Dome operations are looking at improving this for the 2020-21 academic year. Get rid of the volunteer groups and make it more professional including the equipment used. Card readers and Android/Samsung/Apple Pay should also be options at this point in time.
Issue is I wouldn't call hamburgers, fries, and pizza "specialty" foods. Those are standard at all arenas. Those should be sold at all concession stands. If you are going to do a Pulled Pork sandwich or ziti and meatballs I could see that being made at just 1 or 2 locations, but not burgers, fries, and pizza.

Here's what happened. Jana Barnello got her 15 minutes of fame and subsequently the pendulum swung all the way over to shutting down most of the concourse craft stands in the 300's. Brutal overreaction, especially with how small the rest of the crowds will be for the remainder of the year.
That's sarcasm - I hope. That is true?

Issue is I wouldn't call hamburgers, fries, and pizza "specialty" foods. Those are standard at all arenas. Those should be sold at all concession stands. If you are going to do a Pulled Pork sandwich or ziti and meatballs I could see that being made at just 1 or 2 locations, but not burgers, fries, and pizza.

Fair. I get your point.

Burgers and fries are specialty foods at the Dome because of laws associated with the air pressure supported roof. Those restrictions should go away when the fixed roof is installed this summer.

Not sure will are going to put grills and deep fryers at every concession stand in the Dome but they will at least be able to consider this.

Here's what happened, in my opinion. Jana Barnello got her 15 minutes of fame and subsequently the pendulum swung all the way over to shutting down most of the concourse craft stands in the 300's. Brutal overreaction
who?

The other issue is you have to literally walk around to find which concession stand sells what thing you may want. Every concession stand should sell everything. And only the 100 level has the "special" things ya know like Pizza, hamburgers, and Fries. Like if you literally want french fries but sit in the 200 or 300 level you gotta go downstairs and do a lap around the dome to find the 1 or 2 stands that sell it. It is crazy beyond belief how they operate that place. The lost revenue and money they are letting out the door is crazy. That's why now when I go to the games with the people I am with we stop and eat first, then at the Dome maybe buy a beer or a soda but that's it. As the food stinks for the most part, but even if you want a little snack or something to hold you over... it is impossible to get what you want in a reasonable way or amount of time. As they have made that a challenge and make you jump through hoops. No thanks, will just spend the money elsewhere

The fries and chicken tenders being at one stand is because they literally have to bring them in from the dining center because of the roof. They can’t have ventilation for the fryers. I have under good authority that several stands will have fries, chicken tenders etc after the roof is replaced and they can vent them out

Hiring Delaware North or Aramark isn't going to help Dome Concessions. If you think a concession stand worker is going to be motivated to be faster or more efficient with their minimum wage salary on a weekend where they probably would rather be anywhere else, I don't know what to tell you.

Concession stand service is horrible everywhere. Eat before you go to the game, and don't go to the concession stands at halftime and you'll probably be fine.