Can we win in 20/21 with MD and BB | Syracusefan.com

Can we win in 20/21 with MD and BB

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
Everybody grows to like our existing players and I don’t want to get into whether guys are improving or not. I think they all are. Question is can we change the program trajectory with Dolezaj playing 35+ minutes at forward and Buddy getting 35+ minutes at shooting guard?

I love both guys but believe they are both being asked to do way more than they are capable of doing well enough for us to succeed.

You can’t look at anyone in a vacuum. While both these guys might fit the roles they are in with a better supporting cast, we don’t really have that better supporting cast and I really don’t think we are going to see success with two guys being asked to do more than they are reasonably capable of doing.

I find it weird people want 4 year players, but are already sick of guys before their sophomore year is over.

Your take is lazy.

Four year guys are great when we can afford to utilize them like 4 year guys. They typically aren’t the foundation of your team before they are seniors, if at all. And they typically don't warrant 35+ minutes per game, especially before they have had the benefit of the development that comes with being a four year player.

Your take is lazy.

Four year guys are great when we can afford to utilize them like 4 year guys. They typically aren’t the foundation of your team before they are seniors, if at all. And they typically don't warrant 35+ minutes per game, especially before they have had the benefit of the development that comes with being a four year player.

I wasn’t referring to your OP, but it’s been a take here. Anyway it really doesn’t matter what we think JB gonna JB. I would like to see Buddy play the back line a bit.

I’m not certain Marek is on team next year. It’s more likely he is, but there are some rumblings... He certainly doesn’t apply here but SU needs a big who can catch and finish with ease. I’ve been watching games all day and even the bad teams have big guys who catch with ease and it’s amazing how the offense changes for these teams when those guys are involved. That happens, I’ll have some more faith

I think it depends on what you mean by "win". For example, are we talking top 4 in ACC and a 3-4 seed, or bubble team who slides in as one of the last 4 in? If it's the latter, I think its pretty achievable, IMO

I think the answer is quite obvious. The foundation for success, in the ACC, and most P5 conferences, have been slow footed 4 year players getting 35 MPG. It's been a recipe for success for as long as I can remember. Even with Louisville this year - McMahon killing it for 40 MPG for years is finally paying off. :) Just kidding.

Eh, truthfully, no. Won't work out well for us. Who knows how the roster shakes out though! Maybe good things are coming! By next Fall I'll be super excited by practice reports, and then we'll see how the exhibition games shake out.

Right now, with what we got here/arriving, easiest thing to do, is ask yourself if:

Lydon/Andrew White/Gillon is scarier than a Marek/Buddy/JGIII trifecta even if they all make a jump next year

Nope.

MD, JG3, and BB need Eli. None can be the 'guy.' Quincy needs to stay in the role hes currently in although we definitely want to give him more minutes. But he won't do well as a starting wing. Pray Hughes comes back or we get a big time transfer to replace him.

Next year subtract Hughes and it's going to be even worse. Maybe that will motivate staff to recruit better. I just don't know if they are capable of that. Hopkins did all the heavy lifting there.

We need to recruit real basketball players.

I’m not certain Marek is on team next year. It’s more likely he is, but there are some rumblings... He certainly doesn’t apply here but SU needs a big who can catch and finish with ease. I’ve been watching games all day and even the bad teams have big guys who catch with ease and it’s amazing how the offense changes for these teams when those guys are involved. That happens, I’ll have some more faith

In any form, the freshman have to come back next year improved significantly for us to succeed. Buddy I think is who he is. I just can't see his game evolving much more unless he magically develops lateral quickness.or grows 3 inches.

Guerrier needs to be a 30 plus minute guy who can make a jumpshot consistently.

Towns( if we got him) , if healthy might be the savior we need to not continue the trend of this year into next. Also I think we also just have to hope that both freshmen are unexpectedly good as well. Woody has looked far better this year than the clips from last. Kadary is doing his thing on a higher level at Brewster.

Without major improvements and surprises from the new blood it is going to be tough. I'm sticking with optimism that we will get what we need but that is not some sort of ringing endorsement either.

Specifically with MD, based on what he has shown this year I could absolutely see him snagging a healthy deal/paycheck overseas closer to home.

Last edited:
I am puzzled on why Dolezaj is not on this team next year???

Nope.

MD, JG3, and BB need Eli. None can be the 'guy.' Quincy needs to stay in the role hes currently in although we definitely want to give him more minutes. But he won't do well as a starting wing. Pray Hughes comes back or we get a big time transfer to replace him.
It's certainly possible that one of those three could emerge as "the guy" next season, or maybe even Guerrier. Hell, no one could say before the season that Hughes would fill that role this year; now some here act as if he's a transcendent talent. He's developed into an excellent all-around player likely to have some sort of NBA career, but he is in no way irreplaceable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom