canoes | Syracusefan.com

canoes

Marty McFly

Resident Lurker
Any suggestions from the anglers out there, as to a solid 2 person canoe that won't break the bank?

Any suggestions from the anglers out there, as to a solid 2 person canoe that won't break the bank?
There's lots of options out there. For something new you could go for something like this: https://oldtowncanoe.johnsonoutdoors.com/canoes/recreation/saranac-146

If you really are just looking for cheap, they pop up on craigslist and facebook marketplace all the time for a few hundred bucks, any 14.5-16 foot canoe is fine for 2 people just farting around and throwing in a line.

Given the rush on watercraft last year and supply chain constraints, new canoes may be hard to come by. I would bet some used ones start to pop up that were bought last year though.

There's lots of options out there. For something new you could go for something like this: https://oldtowncanoe.johnsonoutdoors.com/canoes/recreation/saranac-146

If you really are just looking for cheap, they pop up on craigslist and facebook marketplace all the time for a few hundred bucks, any 14.5-16 foot canoe is fine for 2 people just farting around and throwing in a line.

Given the rush on watercraft last year and supply chain constraints, new canoes may be hard to come by. I would bet some used ones start to pop up that were bought last year though.
You can't go wrong with an Old Town. Obviously a lot of other options but Old Town has been around forever, reasonably priced, fairly lightweight and sturdy.

Just in my area:
$450 is maybe a liiiitle much, maybe 350? These aluminum Grummans are heavy and they get hot in the sun, but they are absolutely indestructible and cheap.

not familiar with this brand

edit: Actually, these Scotts look pretty decent and go for about $1500 new for fiberglass. Might have to jump on that just to resell it myself!

This one looks old, maybe a bit expensive for an old fiberglass canoe but looks to be in great shape.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, ya ideally looking for a fiberglass, fairly light-weight but good balance when out on a choppy lake... I've been using the Northrop Grumman ones at DEC campsites forever, but want something better as they are really slow and inefficient.

Thanks guys, ya ideally looking for a fiberglass, fairly light-weight but good balance when out on a choppy lake... I've been using the Northrop Grumman ones at DEC campsites forever, but want something better as they are really slow and inefficient.
Not sure where you live, but buy that echo, seriously.
Link to new. Recreational Series | Echo 16''

is the echo better than the prospector?
For the Scott brand? IDK, I’ve never paddled the brand. Prospector is a classic design that a lot of companies have a version of. I personally have a Merrimack prospector 16. Prospectors tend to have a decent amount of rocker and freeboard. They are kinda classic river/whitewater and trekking canoes. Unladen I can turn that sucker on a dime and it’s fast as heck, but it can be hard to keep on track, unstable and the freeboard makes it really vulnerable to the wind. Laden with gear it’s much less vulnerable to the wind, much more stable and tracks much easier.

if you’re just looking for an easy, flat water paddler, I might look at some of the other designs.

My uncle has had a "Mad River" canoe for probably... maybe close to 30 years now. Certainly past its prime but a legendary canoe in our family that makes its journey yearly to Lake George on our family vacation.

I would look for a used 14' Radisson square stern. Pop a 3hp on there and you're good to go. Built in sponsons make this one of the most stable platforms I've fished from. Put your gas tank in the middle. A 16 or 17 foot square stern Old Town will also work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom