Carey | Syracusefan.com

Carey

He’s a freshmen, and last night was arguably a top 3 most difficult stage in basketball. Maybe he’s not a one and done, I’m completely fine with that.

Marek’s a bigger concern to me rn.

when you play so much ball and are the quicker dude, you get bad habits. Frank has the same issues, but is much stronger with the ball and still falls into that trap.. they must address it thats for sure

clearly not comfortable. clumsy errors. but again he has not been given the chance to get comfortable.

clearly not comfortable. clumsy errors. but again he has not been given the chance to get comfortable.

PREPARATION_article_large.jpg

Clearly struggling at the moment...he reallllly has to improve that handle next year if hes the main ball handler. Still extremely bullish on him but pretty surprsised how much hes struggling lately.
The 26 pts/7 boards/3 steals vs Yukon masked his 0 assists/6 turnovers that game. I think everyone feels the same as you. He will be an important cog next season.

I think his ballhandling is fine. Better than fine, in fact. I think he just plays too aggressively at times and the game is still too fast for him. Improved decision making will work wonders and it will come with experience.

Some have compared him to Kaleb which I don't see at all. Kaleb looked lost from day one and had a very loose handle. Carey is much tighter with the ball and errs on the side of too much confidence, rather than not enough.

Carey will be a big time playmaker eventually

when you play so much ball and are the quicker dude, you get bad habits. Frank has the same issues, but is much stronger with the ball and still falls into that trap.. they must address it thats for sure

Jalen will be fine once things slow down a bit. And Frank doesn’t get his pocket picked. Don’t think he’s had one all year. His turnovers are usually an ill advised pass. Although last night he had the one on the end line driving where he just lost the ball.

Clearly struggling at the moment...he reallllly has to improve that handle next year if hes the main ball handler. Still extremely bullish on him but pretty surprsised how much hes struggling lately.

Yeah, three turnovers in 7 minutes is not good. And that wasn't even with Tre Jones in there.

I would love it if he could play on some traveling/international summer team this year. Get a lot of minutes, build some confidence and experience... Come back with some additional/different training. Then thrive for us. He's like a prep phenom who comes up and gets his first look at a major league breaking pitch, and his average drops from 320 to 2-fitty. He'll get it together. He's too tough-minded not to.

Yeah, three turnovers in 7 minutes is not good. And that wasn't even with Tre Jones in there.

Actually I believe it was with Tre Jones in and at least 2 of them were because of Jones.

Actually I believe it was with Tre Jones in and at least 2 of them were because of Jones.

I am pretty sure Carey didn't start the game. That was Frank who was getting undressed by Jones. Jones went out at the six minute mark.

Paschal was in the same place last week. We’ll see how he does down the stretch 6th man and instant offense is the role for him. If we press and run more he should benefit.

If Frankie could play 40 on his ankle Jalen might be looking at very few minutes down the stretch tho.

I am pretty sure Carey didn't start the game. That was Frank who was getting undressed by Jones. Jones went out at the six minute mark.

Look at 1:29 in this video. Jones steals it from Carey twice in a row. Not that it excuses Carey losing the ball but they were impressive steals by Jones.

I think his ballhandling is fine. Better than fine, in fact. I think he just plays too aggressively at times and the game is still too fast for him. Improved decision making will work wonders and it will come with experience.

Some have compared him to Kaleb which I don't see at all. Kaleb looked lost from day one and had a very loose handle. Carey is much tighter with the ball and errs on the side of too much confidence, rather than not enough.

Carey will be a big time playmaker eventually

You are not watching the same game as I am if you think that his ballhandling is fine. He has a high dribble that he doesn't control particularly well. He has gotten his pocket picked at a rate higher than any PG at SU that I can remember (even Kaleb). His assist to turnover rate currently sits at 1.5 to 2. I think (hope) he will get better, but he currently can't be trusted out there due to his extreme carelessness with the ball.

No. Jones never took the ball from Frank.

Jones definitely got him a couple times. Frank picked up 2 fouls in the first couple of minutes and had to come out. Regardless, Carey still struggled after Jones went out, which necessitated Boeheim putting Frank back in the game in the first half for a long stretch when he had 3 fouls.

You are not watching the same game as I am if you think that his ballhandling is fine. He has a high dribble that he doesn't control particularly well. He has gotten his pocket picked at a rate higher than any PG at SU that I can remember (even Kaleb). His assist to turnover rate currently sits at 1.5 to 2. I think (hope) he will get better, but he currently can't be trusted out there due to his extreme carelessness with the ball.

We definitely aren't seeing the same thing. I would not categorize his handle as high at all

To be fair Frank wasn't looking like Steve Nash out there when Jones was in the game either. I like Carey and next year I think he will be better than Frank is this year (not a shot at Frank). As for improved handle - he needs to tighten it up and tightening up handle does not seem to be this programs forte.

We definitely aren't seeing the same thing. I would not categorize his handle as high at all

He has no control over it. Gets his pocket picked, dribbles off his foot or gets stripped on drives at least once and usually multiple times per game, mostly in limited action. I mean, just look at that video above when he gets his pocket picked - he's dribbling the ball well above his hip with pressure right on him.

To be fair Frank wasn't looking like Steve Nash out there when Jones was in the game either. I like Carey and next year I think he will be better than Frank is this year (not a shot at Frank). As for improved handle - he needs to tighten it up and tightening up handle does not seem to be this programs forte.

Hard for anyone to look like Steve Nash. But when Jones was in, he didn’t do anything to Frank. In fact those first few minutes we got the ball inside but missed 2 layups and i think had 1 blocked. They extended out which made getting the ball in the lane easier. We just didn’t make anything and they kept scoring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom