Carlito's way | Syracusefan.com

Carlito's way

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
Ok, I know, this movie has been out for 25 years but I just saw it again on the tube tonight in passing and got sucked in. I believe we are well past the statute of limitations regarding spoiler alerts ..

suffice to say, Carlito is made an offer by the DA to testify against his friend and dirtbag lawyer played by sean penn. ...Carlito and lady friend will be set up in the Bahamas and protected from possible mob retribution for his role in the killing of a mob boss escaping Rikers prison barge (long story)

The DA played a tape in which the dirt bag lawyer stabbed Carlito in the back and told the DA Carlito was back in the drug dealing game (not true)

so despite hearing this tape, and the great offer..Carlito refuses the DA's offer. why? because he is from the streets and its against his code to turn on his associate, EVEN after the associate tried to hoze him first.

I can sort of buy all that. Maybe. BUT, later in the movie, after the lawyer was nearly stabbed to death by the mob in a revenge attack, Carlito visits him in the hospital and clandestinely removes the bullets from his gun so when his hospital room is attacked, he will not be able to defend himself.

SO...let me get this straight. Turning state's evidence against a scum bag who already tried to screw you over...AGAINST the code of the streets...

BUT...removing bullets from the scum bag's gun so he cannot defend himself against an inevitable attack. NOT against the code?

discuss

Ok, I know, this movie has been out for 25 years but I just saw it again on the tube tonight in passing and got sucked in. I believe we are well past the statute of limitations regarding spoiler alerts ..

suffice to say, Carlito is made an offer by the DA to testify against his friend and dirtbag lawyer played by sean penn. ...Carlito and lady friend will be set up in the Bahamas and protected from possible mob retribution for his role in the killing of a mob boss escaping Rikers prison barge (long story)

The DA played a tape in which the dirt bag lawyer stabbed Carlito in the back and told the DA Carlito was back in the drug dealing game (not true)

so despite hearing this tape, and the great offer..Carlito refuses the DA's offer. why? because he is from the streets and its against his code to turn on his associate, EVEN after the associate tried to hoze him first.

I can sort of buy all that. Maybe. BUT, later in the movie, after the lawyer was nearly stabbed to death by the mob in a revenge attack, Carlito visits him in the hospital and clandestinely removes the bullets from his gun so when his hospital room is attacked, he will not be able to defend himself.

SO...let me get this straight. Turning state's evidence against a scum bag who already tried to screw you over...AGAINST the code of the streets...

BUT...removing bullets from the scum bag's gun so he cannot defend himself against an inevitable attack. NOT against the code?

discuss

of course that's not against code. being a a rat is against code

of course that's not against code. being a a rat is against code

but in this case, being a rat was less of a dick move because the lawyer would have done his time and lived. now he's dead. stupid code.

but in this case, being a rat was less of a dick move because the lawyer would have done his time and lived. now he's dead. stupid code.

there is nothing worse than being a rat so it's not less of a dick move. being a rat gets you put into the ground.

screw the damn rats. if i taught grade school the tattler pays same the same price as the tattled.
brotherhood. we're one team. they do however suffer with a nobler sense of justice .

Last edited:
I don't have an issue with him not ratting him out , my issue is that taking the bullets out of his gun is worse

Good movie! Often forgotten about. Kleinfeld is awesome in it as well. You see a lot of the same guys in the Brian De Palma films. Benny Blanco from the Bronx...funny story...During grad school at SC around 2000 I saw a McCoy Tyner set at the Jazz Bakery in Culver City and Leguizamo was sitting right in front of me. As we were leaving and walking next to each other I said to him, "Benny Blanco from the Bronx." He was like "Aw, that's what's up!" Fast fwd to about five years ago I was at a Knicks game and given media passes by my friend who worked for MSG at the time. We were lurking on the floor on the baseline before the game close to the hoop when Leguizamo goes to his seat with his son right next to us. We talked to him for about a minute and he totally remembered the interaction back in CA. Cool guy!