Carmelo: Basketball "didn't love me back..." | Syracusefan.com

Carmelo: Basketball "didn't love me back..."

Watched his entire interview with Stephen A. on First Take yesterday. The most interesting part was him mentioning that in 2006, Lebron & Wade tried convincing him to sign a 3 year deal instead of a 5 year with Denver, presumably because it was originally supposed to be him instead of Bosh as part of the eventual “Big 3” in Miami. ‘Melo said he was young, “naive”, “didn’t understand the big picture”, & that he was too concerned with not leaving money on the table. He seemed to regret the decision. I don’t follow the NBA closely so I’m not sure if this was common knowledge...it was the first I’ve heard it addressed.

It sounds like he's looking for sympathy, unfortunately I think this interview will provide the opposite.
I don’t think he was looking for sympathy but just correcting misinformation. He is willing to play a lesser role and come off the bench. He comes to practice everyday, works hard and could be a good veteran presence.

Watched his entire interview with Stephen A. on First Take yesterday. The most interesting part was him mentioning that in 2006, Lebron & Wade tried convincing him to sign a 3 year deal instead of a 5 year with Denver, presumably because it was originally supposed to be him instead of Bosh as part of the eventual “Big 3” in Miami. ‘Melo said he was young, “naive”, “didn’t understand the big picture”, & that he was too concerned with not leaving money on the table. He seemed to regret the decision. I don’t follow the NBA closely so I’m not sure if this was common knowledge...it was the first I’ve heard it addressed.
That was not common knowledge I don’t think. I had not heard that.

[/QUOTE]
I don’t think he was looking for sympathy but just correcting misinformation. He is willing to play a lesser role and come off the bench. He comes to practice everyday, works hard and could be a good veteran presence.
[/QUOTE]

It really is unbelievable how people run with that “refused to come off the bench” stuff. Because one media guy brought it up and Melo made a joke of it. OKC didn’t want him to come off the bench. By all accounts Melo tried to do whatever they wanted him to do.

And last year in Houston he was coming off the bench, and they immediately had injuries and suspensions so he moved into the lineup. Its one of those complete nonstories with zero validity to it that people are still running with.

Too many times in his career he chose the big market over the best playing option. Even now he is only looking at the 2 LA teams. Feel like this hurt him.

It sounds like he's looking for sympathy, unfortunately I think this interview will provide the opposite.

Every single answer he gave he came off as a victim.

I love and appreciate everything Melo did and has done for Syracuse and he was very easy to root for during his brief time on the hill. That said, NBA Melo isnt nearly as likeable and makes it very difficult to root for him.

If he didn't win us a title I dont think he'd be popular around these parts.

I love and appreciate everything Melo did and has done for Syracuse and he was very easy to root for during his brief time on the hill. That said, NBA Melo isnt nearly as likeable and makes it very difficult to root for him.

That’s absurd. Very few alumni are unpopular around these parts. You really have to go out of your way.

Melo was scapegoated in Houston and it should be obvious to everyone now that he wasn’t really the problem. They did him dirty and it cost him another gig last year. Might cost him one this year.

I guess I just don’t agree. He is one of the top 20 scorers of all time and scored large amounts of points on bad teams while never throwing people under the bus. He is very philanthropic and well spoken and has never committed a crime. I just don’t get it. He could have said things about amare and a whole host of other people. Until the last 2 years he earned his money. It always amazes me this whole take a pay cut to win thing. If I was offered a job at Amazon but had to take a 20% pay cut and refused. No one would say how could you not go to amazon. People would say of course you didn’t go it’s less money. It’s never made sense to me.

That’s absurd. Very few alumni are unpopular around these parts. You really have to go out of your way.

Melo was scapegoated in Houston and it should be obvious to everyone now that he wasn’t really the problem. They did him dirty and it cost him another gig last year. Might cost him one this year.
OKC really flourished after he was gone as well

I guess I just don’t agree. He is one of the top 20 scorers of all time and scored large amounts of points on bad teams while never throwing people under the bus. He is very philanthropic and well spoken and has never committed a crime. I just don’t get it. He could have said things about amare and a whole host of other people. Until the last 2 years he earned his money. It always amazes me this whole take a pay cut to win thing. If I was offered a job at Amazon but had to take a 20% pay cut and refused. No one would say how could you not go to amazon. People would say of course you didn’t go it’s less money. It’s never made sense to me.

I am interested to know how many people out there criticized KD for joining GS, criticized LeBron for going to Miami, and also criticized Melo for staying in NY. I feel like there’s gotta be a lot of them.

I am interested to know how many people out there criticized KD for joining GS, criticized LeBron for going to Miami, and also criticized Melo for staying in NY. I feel like there’s gotta be a lot of them.
Haters gonna hate. KD is the only one that I criticized. That was a snake move in my opinion.

Haters gonna hate. KD is the only one that I criticized. That was a snake move in my opinion.

Yeah...criticizing one or the other is fine. But if someone were to both criticize KD for leaving and also criticize Melo for staying. Well...that’s just being “that guy”.

I'm not going reply because I don't want to attack the guy but there are some incorrect things in your post.

I agree with the sentiment that he was misguided by his agent early in his career.

Once that ship sailed, winning wasn't happening in NY, do might as well make as much bank as possible

He is his own worst enemy at times, yet he is also someone who receives unfair criticism from many unfounded in my opinion because he is an easy target.

Denver was not going to work with George Karl there. After that he put himself in bad spots, due to bad / weak guidance

Melo has been a selfish NBA player. A more prolific Vinnie “Microwave” Johnson.

He has never sacrificed.

The guy got us a ring. And he was brilliant. But an aging gunner who played defense optionally and has a ‘tweener game in today’s NBA just doesn’t fit.

But damn there are awesome highlights.

A more prolific Vinnie “Microwave” Johnson.

Lol. That’s an enormous understatement.

I would like to believe we can all agree Carmelo is more prolific than Vinnie Johnson

I would like to believe we can all agree Carmelo is more prolific than Vinnie Johnson

LeBron is a more prolific Paul Pressey.

LeBron is a more prolific Paul Pressey.
Dwayne Wade is more prolific than me

I'm not going reply because I don't want to attack the guy but there are some incorrect things in your post.
You’ve attacked him already. Why stop now?

You’ve attacked him already. Why stop now?

Where did I attack him? Just because you want to believe I did or cant read doesnt mean I did.