Carmelo/Derrick/Billy O/Pearl - ever again?? | Syracusefan.com

Carmelo/Derrick/Billy O/Pearl - ever again??

OCESIP

Walk On
They all most certainly had some additional "incentives" thrown their way back in the day, but nothing like the free
and open market that is the NIL today. Would they ever have ended up at SU in today's environment?
Or put more bluntly, is there enough collective booster $$ for SU to compete for a top 5 player today?
The truly upper echelon kid would be a tough get.

They all most certainly had some additional "incentives" thrown their way back in the day, but nothing like the free
and open market that is the NIL today. Would they ever have ended up at SU in today's environment?
Or put more bluntly, is there enough collective booster $$ for SU to compete for a top 5 player today?
We have the biggest and best fanbase in the country.

Yes, we will see great AA players here again. No question about it.

Biggest and best might be a stretch. Winning again will certainly help the cause.

IDK. Rumors were that Walter Berry got $100k to go to SJU. D. Wilkins got big bucks to to to UGA.

IDK. Rumors were that Walter Berry got $100k to go to SJU. D. Wilkins got big bucks to Fairweather.

String has taken good care of our guys over the years. Just passed the baton to AW.

Only quibble is that between G League, OTE, etc plus the impending drop of the 1 year removed from HS class, these dudes are going to be going to ncaa less and less.

AAs? Sure. Those all time guys that were shoe in NBA guys and likely NBA star portential? Not sure how likely.

As the old axiom goes, Babe Ruth struck out a millions times, but when he connected BAM! All it takes is one. Swing for the fences Adam. Hire the best public relations marketing person you can buy. It was all the great program do. And find another rich magnate to help you. It is the only way to climb back to winning a f notoriety.

5B24CCDC-2904-44D4-A215-17A3C6AAED43.png
9E470D81-F74C-4104-BF78-C6DC1B8315B3.png
Biggest and best might be a stretch. Winning again will certainly help the cause.
Wow. Did you just awake from a coma? Are you an immigrant who was just introduced to basketball?

You should come to a game at the JMA Wireless Dome and learn more about the sport. It is good to get educated about basketball before you start trying to post on the subject.

I don’t know.
We led the country in home attendance last year. Again. We continue to draw large crowds to opposing arenas and dominate the ‘home’ fans.

If you are trying to say the fan base is not as strong as it once was, you are correct. Everyone has taken a big hit with COVID and other factors. Do some research. I wouldn’t worry about Louisville passing us anytime soon.

Wow. Did you just awake from a coma? Are you an immigrant who was just introduced to basketball?

You should come to a game at the JMA Wireless Dome and learn more about the sport. It is good to get educated about basketball before you start trying to post on the subject.
Does that mean Arkansas has the third biggest fan base? I’ve lived all over the country, I probably saw one or two Syracuse articles of clothing in 7 years on the west coast and a handful of times when I lived in Florida for 9 years, one being a cousin I didn’t see for about 20 years.

Even in Buffalo you don’t see much Syracuse stuff. The local fans really do a good job showing out, even in a down year, but I don’t think you can use attendance to judge the size of the fan base, if anything it should show how much people care in the local area about the team. We’re a larger Creighton at this point.

Does that mean Arkansas has the third biggest fan base? I’ve lived all over the country, I probably saw one or two Syracuse articles of clothing in 7 years on the west coast and a handful of times when I lived in Florida for 9 years, one being a cousin I didn’t see for about 20 years.

Even in Buffalo you don’t see much Syracuse stuff. The local fans really do a good job showing out, even in a down year, but I don’t think you can use attendance to judge the size of the fan base, if anything it should show how much people care in the local area about the team. We’re a larger Creighton at this point.
Arkansas?

No.

I cite NCAA statistics and the many published articles discussing the presence of Syracuse fans at visiting venues. Anyone who knows college basketball knows Syracuse is a major draw for TV ratings as well.

You are certainly entitled to have an opinion. I disagree with you.

Arkansas?
Was quoting the attendance chart that was to show we have the largest fan base, Arkansas was third behind us and Kentucky, Creighton 6th.

And we're pretty damn sure Kenny Anderson got a bag from Cremins to go to GA after he was ready to come to Syracuse.
Met a guy who was at Emory when KA was at tech. They were friends. He said that Kenny had a BMW and a Benz.

Having a football stadium for an arena just lets you have the opportunity for a large crowd.
That metric alone doesn't make you the biggest draw when compared to other programs.
Tickets "sold" and fans attending are also different animals.

Last edited:
We led the country in home attendance last year. Again. We continue to draw large crowds to opposing arenas and dominate the ‘home’ fans.

If you are trying to say the fan base is not as strong as it once was, you are correct. Everyone has taken a big hit with COVID and other factors. Do some research. I wouldn’t worry about Louisville passing us anytime soon.
The fandom has definitely dipped the last few years due to Covid and our prolonged down turn. If the AD makes a good hire when JB finally hangs them up the buzz will return and the Dome will be must see tv.

I pay 0 attention to this stuff, but of course, we stand a chance.

I do not know about the Pearl, but recall the other players you mention were top 5ish.

In 2018, the top 5, per 247 sports, went to Duke (3), Carolina, Oregon.
In 2019, they went to Memphis, Georgia, Washington, Carolina, the NBA.
In 2020, they went to Oregon State, USC, Kentucky, the NBA (2)
In 2021, they went to Gonzaga, Duke, Kentucky, Memphis, the NBA.
In 2022, they went to Arkansas, Duke (3), Texas.
In 2023, they are going to USC, Kentucky (3), the NBA.

So, if they do not end up at Duke or Kentucky or the NBA, I think we stand a chance.

A Zion Williamson or a Paolo might be equivalent to what a DC did for Syracuse. Would be nice to get one of those physically dominant, & highly skilled bigs again. Ala Arinze Onuaku.

But, I think getting a couple from the top 25, a couple more from the top 40 and 1 from the top 100, and you coach them up, you have a chance to get to the sweet 16 on a regular basis.

I think we continue to get good guards, but suffer from too many project players at the 4 and 5 spots.

And we're pretty damn sure Kenny Anderson got a bag from Cremins to go to GA after he was ready to come to Syracuse.
Have Times really changed or is Syracuse just getting more into convincing (buying) players to play at Syracuse? It seems like NIL creates opportunities for boosters/alumni to influence HS players to play at their schools.

I live in Florida and at least once or twice a week I see somebody wearing a Syracuse shirt or a Cuse sticker on somebody's car. Every time you get on a plane to Syracuse half the plane is in Cuse gear. Cuse is most definitely represented well, especially up and down the east coast...

Sure, some day, but a top five kid was never an easy get. It's not like bags did not exist in the 80's or 90's. Fact is not every player got or took one but some did.