Carmelo minus 15 shots = Knick win | Syracusefan.com

Carmelo minus 15 shots = Knick win

Flacusian

All Conference
OMG! 2 in a row! The Knicks, left for all but dead by most people suddenly are riding a 2 game winning streak.
It seems as though a component in the teams 2 wins has been Carmelo letting loose the reins of the scoring onus and letting some others get involved in putting the points up on the board. Granted, Brooklyn and Orlando aren't exactly the cream of the league... but hey, 2 wins in a row is 2 wins in a row.

Carmelo, apparently may be having some type of epiphany. Here's what he said:

"I wanted to try to do something a little different to see if it worked," he said. "Me scoring 30 wasn't working."
Perhaps he's heard all of the bad press he's been getting from people like Colin Cowherd who has recently been thrashing Carmelo as having "no self awareness" and saying that nobody wants to play with him.

I think Carmelo can do himself a world of good by continuing on this recent change of tactics. With Carmelo being such a Syracuse icon I always want him to do well and to succeed at the NBA level. All of the recent negativity toward him and his style of play has been disheartening as a Syracuse fan. I'm hoping that this is the start of something positive for him.

It's a 2 way street. Melo needs to trust in his teammates but his teammates also need to give him a reason to trust in them.

During the losing streak Felton, Pablo, JR and Shump couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and the team reverted back to iso-Melo all the time bc noone else could score. Now those guys are playing like everyone thought they would and Melo is trusting in them. This is the team Knicks fans thought they were getting. Hopefully this is just the beginning.

I saw a great quote on the Knicks messageboard earlier: "We're really good when Melo is Lebron". The last 2 games Melo has honestly looked like Lebron with a statline to match.

As long as his teammates can hit some shots, he should continue. Carmelo will always draw considerable attention from the opposing defenses, allowing his teammates a bit of freedom to work on the offensive end. The entire team needs to learn how to use that to their advantage. When the rest of the team shows that they can work effectively then the defenses will begin to balance their attention to the rest of the Knicks and allow Melo some additional freedom as well. His scoring will surely take a hit initially, but hopefully it will lead to more wins and a better image for Melo. And eventually, his scoring numbers may again approach the high 20's do to the reduced attention of the defenses keying on him.

As long as his teammates can hit some shots, he should continue. Carmelo will always draw considerable attention from the opposing defenses, allowing his teammates a bit of freedom to work on the offensive end. The entire team needs to learn how to use that to their advantage. When the rest of the team shows that they can work effectively then the defenses will begin to balance their attention to the rest of the Knicks and allow Melo some additional freedom as well. His scoring will surely take a hit initially, but hopefully it will lead to more wins and a better image for Melo. And eventually, his scoring numbers may again approach the high 20's do to the reduced attention of the defenses keying on him.

Exactly- early on this season melo deferred more and his teammates were laying bricks all game. As long as they can consistently make shots on good ball movement they can win.

Any Melo criticism is ridiculous. That team stinks, especially without Chandler. Melo is getting a career high 9.9 rebounds per game, leading all SF's. Gets no credit for it.

It's a nice trend but against two pretty terrible teams. I look forward to seeing the strategy progress. He will need to take 20 shots against better defenses but it's clear that he doesn't have to every night. If his teammates can step up, the Knicks will be in good shape. Anybody who completely counted them out is a little dumb.

It's a nice trend but against two pretty terrible teams. I look forward to seeing the strategy progress. He will need to take 20 shots against better defenses but it's clear that he doesn't have to every night. If his teammates can step up, the Knicks will be in good shape. Anybody who completely counted them out is a little dumb.

It's weird though. Against the tougher teams on the schedule the Knicks actually played well, see the Indy game and Chicago (with Rose) games. It was teams like Orlando that they were playing awful against.

It's a 2 way street. Melo needs to trust in his teammates but his teammates also need to give him a reason to trust in them.

During the losing streak Felton, Pablo, JR and Shump couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and the team reverted back to iso-Melo all the time bc noone else could score. Now those guys are playing like everyone thought they would and Melo is trusting in them. This is the team Knicks fans thought they were getting. Hopefully this is just the beginning.

I saw a great quote on the Knicks messageboard earlier: "We're really good when Melo is Lebron". The last 2 games Melo has honestly looked like Lebron with a statline to match.

I watch all the games and what you say is basically true. However, Woodson has to take blame for the majority of this. It wasn't just that they haven't been hitting shots. It's the entire offensive flow and rhythm. The ball wasn't moving at all and its not just Melo. Guys were forcing shots or going away from what was working. For example, Bargs has been fantastic, overall. However, after getting off the good, efficient starts, they would stop going to him, instead reverting to ISO 'Melo, which has been Woodson's MO since Atlanta. He is the head man. If the players don't play the way HE wants, then sit them down and find a guy that does. Its not a coincidence that they win when Melo scores less. Its very hard to score more than 30 when the ball is moving because the shots get spread around. I don't believe it is as much Melo as it was Woodson tolerating it. On a side note: I hate Woodson's encouragement of switching everything. IMO, it leads to mismatches that can't possibly defended (Bargs on a PG, i.e.), and a lack of accountability by individual players.

They started running more of dantoni's offense again. No one wants to say that so they are saying all this only nonsense about trusting teammates more, but that is the change. They are running less of woodson's offense and more of dantoni's offense.

I watch all the games and what you say is basically true. However, Woodson has to take blame for the majority of this. It wasn't just that they haven't been hitting shots. It's the entire offensive flow and rhythm. The ball wasn't moving at all and its not just Melo. Guys were forcing shots or going away from what was working. For example, Bargs has been fantastic, overall. However, after getting off the good, efficient starts, they would stop going to him, instead reverting to ISO 'Melo, which has been Woodson's MO since Atlanta. He is the head man. If the players don't play the way HE wants, then sit them down and find a guy that does. Its not a coincidence that they win when Melo scores less. Its very hard to score more than 30 when the ball is moving because the shots get spread around. I don't believe it is as much Melo as it was Woodson tolerating it. On a side note: I hate Woodson's encouragement of switching everything. IMO, it leads to mismatches that can't possibly defended (Bargs on a PG, i.e.), and a lack of accountability by individual players.
Woodson is awful. If there's any downside to the improved play, it's that it probably saves his job. The unnecessary double teams and switching defense is maddening. Also you're correct on the offense. Even more annoying is when, no matter what Shump does, JR has to come in. Is JR Woodson's adopted son now, What. The love affair those two have is just ridiculous.

They started running more of dantoni's offense again. No one wants to say that so they are saying all this only nonsense about trusting teammates more, but that is the change. They are running less of woodson's offense and more of dantoni's offense.
He, who shall not be named.

#Pringles

D'Antoni is a very good coach. He's just not very flexible. He needs a specific type of player to be effective and he was just starting to get them before the trade. If Melo would have bought in, it would have been dynamic. The probem wasn't was MD or Melo, per se. It was a combo of Stat and Melo each trying to get 25+in ISOs, instead of playing at MDs pace. Melo can certainly excel in MDs system but he chose not to run it.

The Knickerbockers are a mess, & as long as Dolan's there they'll continue to be. Melo made them relevant after years of mediocrity, but there never seems to be a method to their madness. They're like the Jets/Mets 2.0.
I think/hope Melo stays but I have no confidence it'll make any difference- & I wouldn't blame him if he chose to leave.

OMG! 2 in a row! The Knicks, left for all but dead by most people suddenly are riding a 2 game winning streak.
It seems as though a component in the teams 2 wins has been Carmelo letting loose the reins of the scoring onus and letting some others get involved in putting the points up on the board. Granted, Brooklyn and Orlando aren't exactly the cream of the league... but hey, 2 wins in a row is 2 wins in a row.

Carmelo, apparently may be having some type of epiphany. Here's what he said:

"I wanted to try to do something a little different to see if it worked," he said. "Me scoring 30 wasn't working."
Perhaps he's heard all of the bad press he's been getting from people like Colin Cowherd who has recently been thrashing Carmelo as having "no self awareness" and saying that nobody wants to play with him.

I think Carmelo can do himself a world of good by continuing on this recent change of tactics. With Carmelo being such a Syracuse icon I always want him to do well and to succeed at the NBA level. All of the recent negativity toward him and his style of play has been disheartening as a Syracuse fan. I'm hoping that this is the start of something positive for him.
I've noticed his rebounding has gone up a notch this year he had a couple games in the Unseld / Truck Robinson area. Of course this year there are surely more missed shots to rebound. But Melo was a beast of a rebounder at SU , and less a McAdoo/McGrady offensive player. Perhaps the change of tactics will produce results similarly.

Any Melo criticism is ridiculous. That team stinks, especially without Chandler. Melo is getting a career high 9.9 rebounds per game, leading all SF's. Gets no credit for it.
Welcome to NY. If this team was doing it for Charlotte or New Orleans , noone would say a peep. Teams like the Knicks would be fighting to get him.

alphaorange said:
D'Antoni is a very good coach. He's just not very flexible. He needs a specific type of player to be effective and he was just starting to get them before the trade. If Melo would have bought in, it would have been dynamic. The probem wasn't was MD or Melo, per se. It was a combo of Stat and Melo each trying to get 25+in ISOs, instead of playing at MDs pace. Melo can certainly excel in MDs system but he chose not to run it.

The issue melo had was he was never allowed to post up in that offense even if they put a smaller man on him. Melo felt if his jumper was off he should be able to get some post touches. Woodson went to far the other way and his offense bogged down. Melo in the post and Amare or k-mart in the high post doesn't work because you zone the play with the help defender. So the ball doesn't move fast than the defense can react.

The downside to dantoni's offense is missed 3s lead to faster break points the other way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom