Carmelo's Woes | Syracusefan.com

Carmelo's Woes

Amazing. The reigning MVP is shooting 36%(worse than Melo) and turning it over 5 times per game, and Melo still gets the headlines.

The OKC offense = Russ goes one on one and everyone else stands around. It’s horrible.

Melo’s decline is obvious, but I think he could still be more effective in the right situation.

Amazing. The reigning MVP is shooting 36%(worse than Melo) and turning it over 5 times per game, and Melo still gets the headlines.

The OKC offense = Russ goes one on one and everyone else stands around. It’s horrible.

Melo’s decline is obvious, but I think he could still be more effective in the right situation.

I was thinking this, too. Westbrook has been a problem. He's the one who let Rubio light OKC up. To put it all, or even mostly, on Melo is foolish.

We've said the same thing with Melo his entire career. Starting with Andre Miller. Literally every single year.

Some years may be legit, Some not, maybe all were... but the dude has played 15 years in the NBA and forced his way into 1 of the dumbest trades ever. I'm glad he's got his 25,000 points - but my expectations were that he would be a top 5 player in the NBA for a decade. There may be a year or 2 that he snuck into real superstardom... Buts his NBA career to me is a let down. And I'm pretty sure deep down he feels it too.

Melo should play one more year at OKC for the 27 mil and most likely retire after that. Seems like he is aging in dog years at this point. Love the guy but he really isn't very good anymore. Can't get to the line anymore and refuses to take a reduced role, maybe he can play another year or two after that as a situational guy at 15 minutes or so a game but will be accept that role? Not sure

Melo should play one more year at OKC for the 27 mil and most likely retire after that. Seems like he is aging in dog years at this point. Love the guy but he really isn't very good anymore. Can't get to the line anymore and refuses to take a reduced role, maybe he can play another year or two after that as a situational guy at 15 minutes or so a game but will be accept that role? Not sure

Would love to see him become a 7th man, guy that can score on a 2nd unit for a team like the Warriors or Spurs that has a coach that he would respect and hopefully define his role for him in exchange for a chance to win something for once. Not sure he has the mindset or mentality to deal with the reduced role and salary that goes with a role like that but I would enjoy seeing him go into a no pressure situation like that where he could win.

Not sure he has the mindset or mentality to deal with the reduced role and salary that goes with a role like that ...
And I hope to heck he doesn't need the money!

Melo hasn’t been very good in the Playoffs (putting it mildly) but hes so far down on the reasons they are getting bounced by the Jazz.

1) Mitchell/Rubio clowning the OKC backcourt, Russ included.

2) Ingles clowning “Playoff P”

3) Gobert winning his matchup with Adams

4) Jazz bench >>> OKC bench

5) Coaching

6) Inefficient Melo

This is simply not true. He is taking a reduced role right now.

I admit I haven't paid super close attention to this playoff series, but Melo is shootign 37% from the field, with a 45% true shooting and has 2 assists in 4 games, and I can't imagine he's been very good defensively. So he's probably been pretty awful.

Man, Russ and Melo are combining for like a 46% true shooting. Gonna be tough to win

I agree with all of this.

Melo had to be the "man" for the Knicks for too long.
Now he is asked to be in a reduced role which I'm sure plays mind games from what he is used to doing. It's not the real Melo on the floor now.
Russ is Russ and will always be. Melo and George have to try and do something when Russ doesn't have the ball, which is not very often.
It's really square pegs in round holes trying to fit these guys together as much as they might want.

I think the Jazz winning this series is great for the NBA. It shows that a team with organically developed players via the draft can hand it to a “super team.”
Aka the Warriors.
Kevin Durant was after they organically developed their team and Utah won a round last year.
They just aren’t winning a championship.

The NBA has become nearly unwatchable. Melo is fading off as you expect all veterans to eventually. Until they do something to offset the impact of the 3 ball it is only going to get worse.

Harden and Kd couldn’t and did not want to win with Westbrook.

But yeah Melo’s fault.

Brody’s a selfish look at me player.

We've said the same thing with Melo his entire career. Starting with Andre Miller. Literally every single year.

Some years may be legit, Some not, maybe all were... but the dude has played 15 years in the NBA and forced his way into 1 of the dumbest trades ever. I'm glad he's got his 25,000 points - but my expectations were that he would be a top 5 player in the NBA for a decade. There may be a year or 2 that he snuck into real superstardom... Buts his NBA career to me is a let down. And I'm pretty sure deep down he feels it too.

We have? I haven’t. He’s had a pretty great career. He didn’t have enough talent around him for the most part when he was in his prime to win a title, but he played great in many seasons.

But we had this convo before and you said you expected him to average 25, 10, and 5 or something that I don’t think anyone else has ever done, so we had different expectations of him.

Last edited:
"get off my lawn"

No not in the least. The quality of basketball as a result is what I am getting at. It starts at AAU, continues at the college level and now as the 3 ball dominates the NBA similar to how it does at all levels it is just not fun to watch. Also I'm only 34 so it has nothing to do with watching the game through the 80s and 90s and having some kind of attachment to it.

Aka the Warriors.
Kevin Durant was after they organically developed their team and Utah won a round last year.
They just aren’t winning a championship.

I was referring to OKC with adding Melo and George.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom