Carrier Dome Best Football Venue | Syracusefan.com

Carrier Dome Best Football Venue

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
In 2013 I attended games at Met Life Stadium, U of Phoenix, Ryan Field, Bobby Dodd Field, Byrd Stadium, and Lincoln Financial Field.

The Carrier Dome remains the best football venue I have experienced.

Great sightlines. Close to the field. Great intensity from the crowd, can't beat the weather and Club 44.

Hey SU Football Recruits!

There is no better place to play.

I was at two of those this year (Ryan Field & Bobby Dodd) as well as the Georgia Dome (Falcons) and Williams-Brice (South Carolina) and agree that he Carrier Dome's sight lines are second to none. The atmosphere at the latter two (full house) was better than what I've experienced on the Hill of late. I'm convinced, however, that another year or two of winning seasons will bring a return of the Loud House. I can't wait to experience that.

Last edited:
The Dome only rocks when 40k legit fans are in the building...The schedule looks good next year to get there.

Do they all show for the early kick offs?
Fortunately most are at work, mowing the lawn or taking in soccer games involving 6 year olds when the kick off happens.

Last edited:
No one blocking your view of the field. Easy access to concession and bathrooms. Uncontested parking. :D

The narrow concourses are a big drawback at the Dome but the veterans know how to avoid those jams. Use the TV timeouts wisely for food/bathroom and you're golden.

From my adventures this year carrier dome > bobby dodd >>>>> met life.

Bobby Dodd was neat to see albiet for a non SU game but the concourses make the dome look spacious and parking was a mess which was to be expected. It does have some charm though and the Atlanta skyline in the background was neat. Met Life had few redeeming qualities. TexanMark got us very good seats but the stadium itself was nondescript and parking is attrocious. I can't imagine what it looks like trying to park when full.

End game, there's no place like Dome.

Bobby Dodd was neat to see ... parking was a mess which was to be expected. It does have some charm though and the Atlanta skyline in the background was neat.
No parking problems at all.
$20 to park at the SyracuseFan.com tailgate. A little hike to the stadium, but far from "a mess".

Met Life had few redeeming qualities. TexanMark got us very good seats but the stadium itself was nondescript and parking is attrocious. I can't imagine what it looks like trying to park when full.
I was at last year's USC game. No parking problems.

Of course!
Everybody likes their own stadium.

No parking problems at all.
$20 to park at the SyracuseFan.com tailgate. A little hike to the stadium, but far from "a mess".

I was at last year's USC game. No parking problems.

Of course!
Everybody likes their own stadium.

Parking at Ga Tech was fine, the hour plus exit time was the mess. Of course ga tech v uga likely had a bit bigger crowd than the cuse game.

Met Life I'd presume penn state traveled better than usc. We had attendents send us into lots where it was pretty obvious no parking existed 3 hours prior to kick off.

The dome is just so easy to get in and out of that anything else seems like a pain.

From my adventures this year carrier dome > bobby dodd >>>>> met life.

Bobby Dodd was neat to see albiet for a non SU game but the concourses make the dome look spacious and parking was a mess which was to be expected. It does have some charm though and the Atlanta skyline in the background was neat. Met Life had few redeeming qualities. TexanMark got us very good seats but the stadium itself was nondescript and parking is attrocious. I can't imagine what it looks like trying to park when full.

MetLifeless Stadium - parking - don't even get me started.

i cant imagine a major college athletic venue with better sightlines than the Dome.

the worst seat in the house would be selling for $100+ at most stadiums.

i get parking can be a pain, but thats the college experience...most are like that.

the pro football parking experience you get at Giants Stadium isnt really being done at the college level.

I can't believe anyone in their right mind would think the Carrier Dome is the best football venue. This thread has to be filled with sarcasm and not an honest evaluation of football stadiums.

One of the best venues for college football is likely Camp Randall in Madison, WI. Feel the stadium rock when "Jump Around" is played. Not sure anyone can compare the Carrier Dome to that. Having attended a few games at the Big House in Ann Arbor and experienced 114,000 people-plus, in Maize and Blue is also hard to beat. Tell me again about those sight-lines though...

I can't believe anyone in their right mind would think the Carrier Dome is the best football venue. This thread has to be filled with sarcasm and not an honest evaluation of football stadiums.

One of the best venues for college football is likely Camp Randall in Madison, WI. Feel the stadium rock when "Jump Around" is played. Not sure anyone can compare the Carrier Dome to that. Having attended a few games at the Big House in Ann Arbor and experienced 114,000 people-plus, in Maize and Blue is also hard to beat. Tell me again about those sight-lines though...

Can you imagine, the "sit down" shouts we'd get if SU did anything close to that in the Dome?

:rolling:

Cheers,
Neil

Venue, not fans. 50K seats are pretty much right on the field at the Dome.

We played at Michigan once, those 114k didn't help much that day.

It depends on if you value watching football or fat Wisconsin people jumping...

Camp Randall, like the Big House or Beaver Stadium, is a terrible place to watch a football game.

Are all of the seats at Michigan even in the same zip code? Do you need to bring binoculars to see the field?

tinyarch said:
I can't believe anyone in their right mind would think the Carrier Dome is the best football venue. This thread has to be filled with sarcasm and not an honest evaluation of football stadiums. One of the best venues for college football is likely Camp Randall in Madison, WI. Feel the stadium rock when "Jump Around" is played. Not sure anyone can compare the Carrier Dome to that. Having attended a few games at the Big House in Ann Arbor and experienced 114,000 people-plus, in Maize and Blue is also hard to beat. Tell me again about those sight-lines though... YouTube Video
You completely missed the point of the thread but thanks for the effort.

You completely missed the point of the thread but thanks for the effort.

I don't think he missed the point of the thread at all. OrangePA was bragging about how there wasn't a better place to play college football in his opinion due to the great sightlines, being close to the field, and great intensity from the crowd. While I happen to agree with OPA on the sightlines and closeness to the field, the crowd intensity is way overstated now (in comparison to what it used to be) and the game day experience leaves a lot to be desired in comparison to other venues.

You do realize the Dome's strengths (good sightlines and closeness to the field) are viewed as being "small-time" to a lot of the real football programs, right?

I love the Dome because I have many fond memories there, but I certainly can understand others who have a different opinion, even if they are Orange fans.

Cheers,
Neil

We haven't played in Camp Randall or the Big House recently. For sheer gameday experience or history I'd love to check out either. I didn't make the trek last year but to actually watch a football game figure (assuming you're a Gopher fan vs a bleeding B1G homer) your new stadium is probably much better for actually watching the game vs one of the 100k mega stadiums. Would that be a fair statement?

Just curious... how many games have you attended in the dome?