Carrier Dome ranked 9th of 14 in ACC for football | Syracusefan.com

Carrier Dome ranked 9th of 14 in ACC for football

When su gets really good again, I'll match decibel levels with Death Valley. People have simply forgotten how absolutely incredibly loud the Dome gets when it's full. We will experience that again.
When Bobby Bowden and the Seminoles played in the Dome, he was overwhelmed by the noise. If BB and crew were overwhelmed and they played at Clemson every other year, then we can conclude that the Dome can get at least as loud as Death Valley. Clemson is in for a taste of their own (noise) medicine.

Miami-syracuse Game Will Make A Lot Of Noise

November 17, 1992|By RANDALL MELL, Staff Writer
CORAL GABLES -- The Florida Gators will be happy to tell the Miami Hurricanes exactly what it`s like to play Syracuse in the Carrier Dome.

IT`S LOUD!

The No. 1 `Canes meet the No. 8 Orangemen Saturday (3:30 p.m., Channels 10 and 25) in what Syracuse is billing as the biggest game ever played there. It might also be the loudest.

The Gators found out last year just how noisy the Carrier Dome can get. They allowed Syracuse to return the opening kickoff 95 yards for a touchdown. The Gators were drowned out in the deafening din that followed, losing 38-21.

The loss shocked Florida and spoiled its bid for a national title. The Gators were ranked No. 5 and the Orangemen were No. 18. It was Florida`s only regular-season loss.

"It`s the loudest place we`ve ever played in, but the atmosphere is different," Florida junior guard Jim Watson said. "It`s not like anyplace else."

That`s because it is such a small and cozy dome. Opened in 1980, the Carrier Dome seats 50,000. The stands are snug tight to the sidelines and the upper deck hangs close to the field. Plus, there`s a roof.

"It`s like you are playing in a closet," Watson said. "The fans are right on top of you."

West Virginia coach Don Nehlen agrees this is no exaggeration.

"I know one thing," Nehlen said. "Dennis (Erickson) and his players will have a headache Sunday morning.

"Everyone is so close to you. I`m standing on the sidelines there, and I feel like I can turn around and shake hands with the guys in the stands. If I get hungry when we play there, all I`ve got to do is turn around and buy a candy bar. The guy selling them is right there."

The Carrier Dome should be buzzing. Though Syracuse has a storied 103-year football tradition, two top 10 teams have never played in Syracuse. It never happened in the 1950s or 1960s, the Syracuse glory years that produced running backs Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Floyd Little, Jim Nance and Larry Csonka.

Still, the Carrier Dome has produced magic moments. The only time Syracuse met No. 1 there was 1984, when the Orangemen stunned Nebraska 17-9.

The Syracuse sports information department is billing Saturday`s showdown as the Orangemen`s biggest game since 1959. That year, No. 4 Syracuse defeated No. 7 Penn State 20-18 at State College, Pa. The momentum propelled Syracuse to No. 1 and its only national championship.

An upset Saturday could vault the Orangemen into this year`s title hunt, but Syracuse coach Paul Pasqualoni is avoiding such talk.

"There`s no sense worrying about the national championship when you have Miami coming to town," Pasqualoni said. "Our focus has to be on them."

Be sure, Syracuse fans have it in mind. They can be loud. They can be crazy. Or, they can be surprisingly quiet.

"It`s a weird thing," said Donnie Webb, a writer who covers Syracuse for the Post-Herald. "Fans here can be quiet as church mice. The place is over- rated that way. It takes something special to get them going."

The nation`s No. 1 team ought to do it.

"I can`t imagine anything bigger in my life than this game," Syracuse tackle Kyle Adams said.

The game was sold out last summer. With the `Canes on the home schedule, Syracuse set a record for season ticket sales. More than 37,000 were sold, about 6,000 more than the previous record.

If Syracuse scores first, the Carrier Dome will get noisy.

"It seems to me they have the same attitude playing at home that we have," UM linebacker Micheal Barrow said. "They feel they aren`t going to lose."

Syracuse is 29-5-2 in its last 36 games in the Carrier Dome. The Orangemen were beaten by Ohio State 35-12 at home this year, with the Buckeyes silencing the dome by jumping to a 21-3 lead.

The `Canes have won nine in a row on the road and 39 of their last 43. They will be prepared for the noise, having learned their lesson in a 35-7 loss to Tennessee in the noisy Super Dome in the 1986 Sugar Bowl.

The `Canes have a silent snap count. They also instituted hand signals after the Sugar Bowl rout. If Torretta wants to audible at the line, he gives the receivers the new play with sign language. They work on them at every practice even when it`s a home game.

"It gets loud in the Orange Bowl even when we have the ball," receivers coach Rich Olson said.

Erickson won`t be using any gimmicks this week. No ear plugs. No loud noise blaring from speakers.

"We`ve been to a lot of noisy places," coach Dennis Erickson said. "It can only get so noisy. Either you can`t hear, or you can`t hear. We`ve been to a lot of places you can`t hear."

The `Canes are 4-6 in dome games, but they have won three of their last four.

Injured defensive tackle Pat Riley ran the 12-minute run with teammates Monday in hopes he will ready to play Saturday at Syracuse.

Riley separated his right shoulder against West Virginia two weeks ago.

"He`s questionable," Erickson said. "I don`t know how much he`ll go yet. I won`t say he won`t play."

Defensive tackle Kenny Lopez is slowed by a sprained ankle. He`s status will be evaluated daily.

UM`s regular season finale at San Diego State Nov. 28 will be televised at 7:30 p.m. by ESPN. It will follow a Georgia-Georgia Tech telecast in an ESPN Heisman Trophy doubleheader.

UM`s Gino Torretta, San Diego State`s Marshall Faulk and Georgia`s Garrison Hearst are the three frontrunners.

-------------------------------------

• "I can assure you that the stories are not overblown. In my travels, I've been to at least 90 different stadiums for college football games, the two loudest places I've ever been to are Autzen Stadium and at Syracuse in the (Carrier) Dome. It is extremely loud."- Dirk Koetter, Former ASU Head Coach

Ask Geno how much he liked playing at the Dome. 45k that night

SyracuseGenoSack-218x168.jpg

In my opinion, the last time the Dome was truly just out-of-MFing-control loud was 1999 vs. Michigan. I would give anything to experience that again.

In my opinion, the last time the Dome was truly just out-of-MFing-control loud was 1999 vs. Michigan. I would give anything to experience that again.

Auburn game 9/22/2001 - never seen the dome much more emotional than that.

Showed up late to the VT game where freeney and Vick battled because of a pop Warner game. Was walking up to the dome towards the end of the first quarter and I kid you not we could hear the crowd erupt all the way near Varsity. It was incredible.

Played in the Orange Club Golf Outing on Monday. Coach Shafer asked rhetorically, what was the last time we filled the Dome. He was fired up and challenging every one to get it done. Coach Shafer is the college football version of Will Rogers.

Auburn game 9/22/2001 - never seen the dome much more emotional than that.
Nebraska in 85 and WV in 87 were more emotional and loud as hell. However, I do recall that Auburn game. My most vivid memory is of us walking to the dome from our tailgate and there were a few Auburn fans walking up at that time. Some guy was loudly chanting "AUBURN GOES DOWN, AUBURN GOES DOWN" over and over all the way up. Now, whenever we talk Auburn, my wife will burst into that chant.

Nebraska in 85 and WV in 87 were more emotional and loud as hell. However, I do recall that Auburn game. My most vivid memory is of us walking to the dome from our tailgate and there were a few Auburn fans walking up at that time. Some guy was loudly chanting "AUBURN GOES DOWN, AUBURN GOES DOWN" over and over all the way up. Now, whenever we talk Auburn, my wife will burst into that chant.

For me, it was more about the electricity and nationalism in the Dome because this was the first game after the 9/11 attacks in NYC; the passion with which the crowd sang the national anthem (or God Bless America?), and then Gov Pataki's address to the crowd at half time. Once in a lifetime feeling in there. And the team played out of their minds.

SU and Freeny smoking Auburn was the topping.

I remember watching the '92 game against Miami and the sideline guy having a decibel meter down on field level. He said it had reached 120 decibels numerous times. I remember him comparing it to two jumbo jets taking off simultaneously. I think he may have been exaggerating, but you get the point.

Surprisingly 1996 against Army got pretty loud. 1998 vs. Tech and Tennessee was REALLY loud. Also 1998 against Miami was brutally loud when McNabb was announced. It's been getting better the last couple of years slowly but surely. Continue winning, and have a breakout season in the next three years, and you'll see the bandwagoners come back in droves.

I remember watching the '92 game against Miami and the sideline guy having a decibel meter down on field level. He said it had reached 120 decibels numerous times. I remember him comparing it to two jumbo jets taking off simultaneously. I think he may have been exaggerating, but you get the point.

Surprisingly 1996 against Army got pretty loud. 1998 vs. Tech and Tennessee was REALLY loud. Also 1998 against Miami was brutally loud when McNabb was announced. It's been getting better the last couple of years slowly but surely. Continue winning, and have a breakout season in the next three years, and you'll see the bandwagoners come back in droves.
On Monday I told new linebacker Coach Clark Lea about that game.

I like the ranking...not only is our team underrated...but so is our home!! Rather be underrated rather than overrated!! I like other teams/schools being shocked and not see it coming!!

I like the ranking...not only is our team underrated...but so is our home!! Rather be underrated rather than overrated!! I like other teams/schools being shocked and not see it coming!!

This probably shows how long I have played NCAA football, but I can remember when the dome was ranked in their top 25 list of stadiums. We will return!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom