Class of 2020 - Carter Parlette (FL) Mid Flipped to Notre Dame | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 Carter Parlette (FL) Mid Flipped to Notre Dame

8D8EE513-AD90-4D79-8273-D484932FA6E4.jpeg

Carter Parlette '20, M, Ponte Vedra (Fla.) / Sweetlax National — Syracuse | 82
One of Sweetlax National’s standout playmakers, Parlette possesses some creative stick skills, good athleticism and confidence in his abilities. Can shoot from mid-range with his hands free, or dodge from the wing to score in athletic ways or find a teammate on the backside.

Seems at least one alum isn't happy about the way things have been shaking on the recruiting trail -

Seems at least one alum isn't happy about the way things have been shaking on the recruiting trail -

Its a bad development to lose a guy like Parlette but Beardsley doesn't move the needle on the hill one bit.

Its a bad development to lose a guy like Parlette but Beardsley doesn't move the needle on the hill one bit.
Agree, he seems like someone who lost his status many years ago. He is constantly hammering the staff, which while they may deserve some of it, certainly doesn't help his influence. That said, between the women losing the #1 recruit, men losing Parlette, and Football losing Nunn, this has been a painful few weeks.

That's unfortunate to hear... its time for the needle to start moving when you get decommits from two top 50 players in a class.
I thought the new recruiting rules were going to help SU, all its done has delay decommits, who were originally ours.

IMO, Desko has done a flat out horrible job of running the program starting in May 2015, when we had by far the best roster, top to bottom in college lax.

That's unfortunate to hear... its time for the needle to start moving when you get decommits from two top 50 players in a class.
I thought the new recruiting rules were going to help SU, all its done has delay decommits, who were originally ours.

IMO, Desko has done a flat out horrible job of running the program starting in May 2015, when we had by far the best roster, top to bottom in college lax.
With nothing to prove this by, other than my 10,000 ft perspective, he seems a bit disinterested. He gets into the tourney yearly and does well in the ACC. Truly something is missing though, as we continue to struggle in the tournament against teams we should beat. As you said, something needs to change. Could it be, he is just no longer fully engaged. How long can someone keep that competitive drive? Guy has been around forever. Very similar to JB, and many of our fears on the hoops side over the last several years.

Well the new recruiting rules initially hurt SU because there 2019 class was pretty much set and they couldn't do anymore 2020 recruiting at that point. Blake was a 2019 class guy who was going to PG a year but ended up going to Harvard which is hard to really criticize. Recruiting has actually picked up the last few years so its hard to really hammer Desko there but there is certainly room for improvement, ditto for on the field where the post-season results continue to be extremely disappointing. There is certainly some concern about the 2020 class but we did just flip a high end D player and theres a lot of time left for the 2020 class. Our AD is definitely looking for Desko to get more involved in recruiting and show better results so this is definitely going to put more pressure on him.

Our AD is definitely looking for Desko to get more involved in recruiting and show better results so this is definitely going to put more pressure on him.
Any more you can add to this?

I recall many here (and IL) being very excited about the 2013 and 2014 recruiting classes believing Cuse had struck recruiting gold only to later bash the same. Takes time to recover from poor drafts in any sport but the last three recruiting classes have been good despite the usual gripes. Cuse relies more on references of field contacts than magazine ratings.

Think a blind man and the AD could clearly see that 18 ' was a year of transition highlighted by our top four mids being a soph with 3 frosh yet Desko went out and scheduled an even tougher SOS unconcerned about his w/l record or job. Respect.

Desko has been involved at later stages as as a closer with every recruit that I know but it's logical that he may be asked to attend more recruiting events, expand network of hs and club contacts and perhaps even be the first contact simply because the field has widened.

Syracuse has its history, top notch facilities and underrated coaching stability but sorry to say that many colleges have some other advantages that Cuse has a hard time matching.

Wonder if the women's program is under any scrutiny after going 9-10.

I recall many here (and IL) being very excited about the 2013 and 2014 recruiting classes believing Cuse had struck recruiting gold only to later bash the same. Takes time to recover from poor drafts in any sport but the last three recruiting classes have been good despite the usual gripes. Cuse relies more on references of field contacts than magazine ratings.

Think a blind man and the AD could clearly see that 18 ' was a year of transition highlighted by our top four mids being a soph with 3 frosh yet Desko went out and scheduled an even tougher SOS unconcerned about his w/l record or job. Respect.

Desko has been involved at later stages as as a closer with every recruit that I know but it's logical that he may be asked to attend more recruiting events, expand network of hs and club contacts and perhaps even be the first contact simply because the field has widened.

Syracuse has its history, top notch facilities and underrated coaching stability but sorry to say that many colleges have some other advantages that Cuse has a hard time matching.

Wonder if the women's program is under any scrutiny after going 9-10.

Can you elaborate on what other advantages Cuse may have a hard time matching? Just curious, given you noted the facilities and coaching stability as positives. The fact that we play in a dome means weather shouldn't be a huge issue. I get that schools like Duke/UVA/Hopkins/UNC are better academically, but Cuse isn't Towson. I am not sure where we might be struggling, outside of not being more creative and proactive. More kids are playing the game, which means there is more talent to go around. We should be able to grab talented classes every year and have. UVA has a ton of top 10 kids and has certainly underachieved. There is more to it than just getting top kids.

Can you elaborate on what other advantages Cuse may have a hard time matching? Just curious, given you noted the facilities and coaching stability as positives. The fact that we play in a dome means weather shouldn't be a huge issue. I get that schools like Duke/UVA/Hopkins/UNC are better academically, but Cuse isn't Towson. I am not sure where we might be struggling, outside of not being more creative and proactive. More kids are playing the game, which means there is more talent to go around. We should be able to grab talented classes every year and have. UVA has a ton of top 10 kids and has certainly underachieved. There is more to it than just getting top kids.
Cost?

Sticking to ACC but points apply to many colleges outside. Weather is certainly a factor. Id rather be hanging out on the lawn or downtown at UNC or UVA or M street during the school year? Forget Ivies who do bend for 'exceptional" as a student and future job seeker Id rather have a Duke, ND, UVA, UNC or Syracuse degree. Rather pay the out off state of UNC or UVA than Syracuse .

Larger playing pool but top 100 is still the top 100 with more suitors chasing and everyone gripes when we dont get our proper allotment . I think Desko and staff do a good job developing what they gets because if we just went by recruit rankings we 'd be at bottom of ACC each year . Only constant in conference seems to be Duke with Danowski, they consistently win with ranked recruits but they'd be glad to take several of our players

Every year recently, like 2014 onward, it seems that UVA, ND, Hopkins, and UNC get praised as having top recruiting classes filled with top 10 "five star" type guys and yet every year we are basically evenly matched with those schools, despite having far less top 100 and top 20 names. MD and Duke also usually get more praise and five star guys than us for their classes, about the same as the 4 schools I just mentioned, but they actually tend to outperform us when the season finishes up (in MD's case they always outperform us). Then a school like Denver seems to have about the same amount of names or even slightly less than us each year and yet they always outperform us as well. All of the Ivey's seem to about match us as far as having a smattering of names across the top 100 with a handful of top recruits but, except for Brown that one year, and obviously this past year, we tend to outperform them all. Same goes for the rest of the Big 10. They have a handful in the top 100 like us and we outperform them (besides OSU in 2017).

The point here is these inside lacrosse lists/recruit rankings never come close to telling the whole story. As the ivorytower guy said above, we would be bottom of the Acc and out of the tourney if they did. Their level of analysis is weak compared to that of other writers in sports that generate more money and attention. My main concern is the depth in local talent dropping as the population in Upstate NY continues to age and decrease, since that has been the ace up our sleeve each year that we have a truly good team. That, along with the increased parity, could spell trouble going forward.

He may not move the needle on the second floor at Manley, but he has a massive network within college lacrosse. Not just locally but involved heavily with NLF and numerous major clubs around the country.

Question:
What moves the lacrosse needle on the hill?

Answers:
Ice cream and donuts
The couch
Tipping of the hat

We conjecture about the value of recruit ratings every year. All speculation. Has anyone done a correlation study of the relationship between ratings and team success? Maybe we could stop spinning the same wheels every year with a little mathematical help.

We conjecture about the value of recruit ratings every year. All speculation. Has anyone done a correlation study of the relationship between ratings and team success? Maybe we could stop spinning the same wheels every year with a little mathematical help.
Does the player's ranking really matter for this conversation. He thinks he's pretty good because of his ranking and he decided he doesn't want to attend SU.

Don't know why you were so salty about us enjoying talking about recruiting but I got you some numbers.

With the last 5 national champs I went back and looked to see their IL average class rank out of 20 for the four classes before their national title wins:

2018 Yale: Average class 9.5
2017 Maryland: Average class 5.25
2016 North Carolina: Average class 2.25
2015 Denver: Average class 12.5
2014 Duke: Average class 5
> all together the average class rank of these five champs is : 6.9

Cuse average class rank 2010-2018: 6.8
Cuse last 4 average class rank: 10

So we would be on the high end for class ranks for us to win this year. However as you can see from Denver it is not impossible. Clearly class ranks do matter. However this data doesn't show things like Maryland having the #1 class four years before they won the title. Some times one class could mean everything. Transfers are also not included. There is endless data to go over but when it comes down to it you need good players. Losing Parlette hurts as i believe he was one of those good players.

Don't know why you were so salty about us enjoying talking about recruiting but I got you some numbers.

With the last 5 national champs I went back and looked to see their IL average class rank out of 20 for the four classes before their national title wins:

2018 Yale: Average class 9.5
2017 Maryland: Average class 5.25
2016 North Carolina: Average class 2.25
2015 Denver: Average class 12.5
2014 Duke: Average class 5
> all together the average class rank of these five champs is : 6.9

Cuse average class rank 2010-2018: 6.8
Cuse last 4 average class rank: 10

So we would be on the high end for class ranks for us to win this year. However as you can see from Denver it is not impossible. Clearly class ranks do matter. However this data doesn't show things like Maryland having the #1 class four years before they won the title. Some times one class could mean everything. Transfers are also not included. There is endless data to go over but when it comes down to it you need good players. Losing Parlette hurts as i believe he was one of those good players.
. Good info. CuSeLax is a quant running algorithms for a hedge fund. Beers on him if we ever have a lax tailgate.

. Good info. CuSeLax is a quant running algorithms for a hedge fund. Beers on him if we ever have a lax tailgate.
Ha ha my wife wanted to watch Bad Moms so it's safe to say I had a couple hours to run down some numbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom