Carter TD | Syracusefan.com

Carter TD

After watching that 30/30 on Bo Jackson last night and seeing how his hip injury essentially ended his career, I still shake my head in amazement that Carter not only came back from his own hip dislocation, but that he [1] rushed for more than 1000 yards two years in a row, [2] made it all the way to the NFL, and [3] is actually a contributing player at the NFL level.

Miraculous comeback for Delone Carter--hats off to him.

After watching that 30/30 on Bo Jackson last night and seeing how his hip injury essentially ended his career, I still shake my head in amazement that Carter not only came back from his own hip dislocation, but that he [1] rushed for more than 1000 yards two years in a row, [2] made it all the way to the NFL, and [3] is actually a contributing player at the NFL level.

Miraculous comeback for Delone Carter--hats off to him.
you're right, its a medical miracle. First time in the annals of orthopedics where a player has come back from a dislocated hip and performed post injury at or near the level they were before the injury.

The difference with DC3 and Bo's is that Bo had the dreaded avascular necrosis associated so often with hip dislocations where the artery supply is temporarily lost "killing" and destroying the joint. This is why there has to be much concern for the Ron Thompson kid as it's been reported he had at least some degree of the Bo type injury. Time will tell I guess as I cross my fingers.

He suffered an ankle injury according to his ESPN profile.

you're right, its a medical miracle. First time in the annals of orthopedics where a player has come back from a dislocated hip and performed post injury at or near the level they were before the injury.

The difference with DC3 and Bo's is that Bo had the dreaded avascular necrosis associated so often with hip dislocations where the artery supply is temporarily lost "killing" and destroying the joint. This is why there has to be much concern for the Ron Thompson kid as it's been reported he had at least some degree of the Bo type injury. Time will tell I guess as I cross my fingers.
I think Delone probably benefited from the lessons learned from Bo's injury as well as the great strides made since then in sports injury treatment and rehab.

Do you know if DC had only a hemiarthroplasty, since he didn't have avascular necrosis?

Do you know if DC had only a hemiarthroplasty, since he didn't have avascular necrosis?

I believe he had a sub vascular anthopothic necrosis, that migrated into a hemostatic invastic event.

If this place turns into the WebMD board, I am outta here!

recalling now what I remembering hearing, his dislocation was not transitory and was a gruesome sight on the field as it happened and it wasn't able to be reduced quickly on the spot but rather was done shortly thereafter. Besides the dislocation he fractured the acetabulum/os coxea as well but not sure what part of it as to if it was the ilium, ischial or pubic bone part. Also not sure if if he tore through the acetabular labral cartilage or not.

Not certain of the exact type of surgical procedure he had but doubt it was the hemiarth. as if I'm recalling my othorpedics correctly thats used more for hip fractures vs. dislocations and I don't believe he fractured the head or neck of the femur at all thus requiring no replacement. This unlike Bo had when the AVN literally dissolved/disintegrated the femoral head leaving the jumbled mess when it "healed" that required the replacement vs. DC3 wheres neither a partial nor total was done since there were no femur fractured and all parts where there, just messed up.

Rather what I think they did was cleared out any loose fragments in the area that were preventing proper and appropriate articulation, and did an internal fixation of the larger fractured fragments with the usual plates and screws fixation method. Makes it all the more amazing what's hes been able to do and accomplish. A true medical miracle that I still can't believe hasnt gotten more attention over the years.

recalling now what I remembering hearing, his dislocation was not transitory and was a gruesome sight on the field as it happened and it wasn't able to be reduced quickly on the spot but rather was done shortly thereafter. Besides the dislocation he fractured the acetabulum/os coxea as well but not sure what part of it as to if it was the ilium, ischial or pubic bone part. Also not sure if if he tore through the acetabular labral cartilage or not.

Not certain of the exact type of surgical procedure he had but doubt it was the hemiarth. as if I'm recalling my othorpedics correctly thats used more for hip fractures vs. dislocations and I don't believe he fractured the head or neck of the femur at all thus requiring no replacement. This unlike Bo had when the AVN literally dissolved/disintegrated the femoral head leaving the jumbled mess when it "healed" that required the replacement vs. DC3 wheres neither a partial nor total was done since there were no femur fractured and all parts where there, just messed up.

Rather what I think they did was cleared out any loose fragments in the area that were preventing proper and appropriate articulation, and did an internal fixation of the larger fractured fragments with the usual plates and screws fixation method. Makes it all the more amazing what's hes been able to do and accomplish. A true medical miracle that I still can't believe hasnt gotten more attention over the years.

You guys should take you dirty talk to the OT board. ;)

44cuse

I... I know some of those words.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom