Catch weight fight Silva vs Jones | Syracusefan.com

Catch weight fight Silva vs Jones

cusetown1

Taxi Squad
There has been Rumors of a 200 lb catch weight fight recently. It would be very interesting. Looks like it may happen.

I heard this from someone in the industry. He told me people think it will be GSP vs Silva, but in the end it very well could be a "super fight" no belts risked catchweight fight at 200 between Jones and Silva. Their stocks will never be any higher and Silva walks around at 220 making it a good weight for him. That's what I was told. It would be awesome.

I know I am bumping an old thread but I love mma right along with SU athletics and the Yankees and Giants.

Anyhow, I dont understand the catchweight. Silva has fought at LHW before and equally if not bigger fighters in Forrest and Bonnar. Obviously him suggesting a CW bout is to get something back on his side. Much rather see Jones vs Silva, than GSP vs Silva. GSP wants no part of Anderson

GSP is arguably better conditioned and probably more explosive (core strength) than either Silva or Jones but he'd be at a significant reach disadvantage and just isn't on the same plane as the others WRT striking. Silva v. Jones is the better fight.

That said even Anderson will be at a reach disadvantage against Jones: 84 v. 77 IIRC. Anderson's advantage on the ground, slick delivery of unorthodox strikes from various angles, and "calm under fire" ring demeanor probably put him over the top IMO.

Jones has a very good top game, very good control as well as his takedowns. Obviously he would exploit Anderson's weakness which is his tdd and use his long arms and nasty elbows from the top. Jones use his reach as well as anyone in mma, as well as his kicks and for him to win there can be no feeling out period for him. Anderson loves to take the first round to figure out tendencies and timing, when he is rushed (Henderson 1st round, Chael 1st both fights) he doesnt react quite as well (minus the Forrest fight).

I know I am bumping an old thread but I love mma right along with SU athletics and the Yankees and Giants.

Anyhow, I dont understand the catchweight. Silva has fought at LHW before and equally if not bigger fighters in Forrest and Bonnar. Obviously him suggesting a CW bout is to get something back on his side.
Using the catchweight allows each fighter to keep his title regardless of how the fight turns out (Jones gets the primary benefit here since he's not dropping down to Silvas division). UFC would probably prefer it too, so they can have more frequent title bouts (one guy defending two belts would result in infrequent defenses since he'd still need the same recovery time between fights). To make it a Win-Win-Win, it does seem like there needs to be something more in it for Anderson - choice of venue/force Jones to cut more weight than usual/?? or maybe he just doesn't want to compete regularly as a LHW.

Using the catchweight allows each fighter to keep his title regardless of how the fight turns out (Jones gets the primary benefit here since he's not dropping down to Silvas division). UFC would probably prefer it too, so they can have more frequent title bouts (one guy defending two belts would result in infrequent defenses since he'd still need the same recovery time between fights). To make it a Win-Win-Win, it does seem like there needs to be something more in it for Anderson - choice of venue/force Jones to cut more weight than usual/?? or maybe he just doesn't want to compete regularly as a LHW.

But why should Jones cut more weight when he never has attempted to make 195 for a CW, Silva has fought more than a few times at LHW. Obviously Silva wants GSP and is luke warm at best to fighting Jones, so it is interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom