Catching Up With Former Syracuse Great Stevie Thompson | Syracusefan.com

Catching Up With Former Syracuse Great Stevie Thompson

Sounds like young Stevie is a chip off the old block as both an athlete and a student. If I remember correctly, Dad was the Bristol Myers(?) student athlete of the month throughout the BB season.
One of my all time favorite SU players. The article brought back a lot of great memories of Stevie finishing a break or going up (and up!) to get a rebound.

He was fantastic to talk to. Generous with his time, loves talking SU and basketball. It was an honor to be able to do this interview.

Michael, good article. Would be most interested in how 'Cuse recruits him over time now that Syracuse is a Selector school and apparently goes after the best in each class. Does Stevie come close to that?

Michael, good article. Would be most interested in how 'Cuse recruits him over time now that Syracuse is a Selector school and apparently goes after the best in each class. Does Stevie come close to that?
He's on the radar for sure. If his athleticism develops over the next couple of years to go with his skills and intelligence, he will be a very good prospect. I will be monitoring it and will update with any information I get over the next few years. But yes Stevie has the potential to be that.

I bet we play Cal St LA again this Fall...maybe his Dad can bring him along.

All the more reason to keep Stevie on my list of all-time favorites.

I bet we play Cal St LA again this Fall...maybe his Dad can bring him along.
If they do, Stevie and I will be meeting to chat face to face and I'll ask him for an update on his son.

This is awesome:

Nation of Orange:
Are you going to do any swaying of your son towards Syracuse? Maybe push him in that direction?

Stevie Thompson:
All the time. I tell both of them, if you get an offer from them that’s where you’re going. I’m the biggest recruiter of Syracuse for them. Not just because I went there, but because of the experience I had there. How it helped develop my life. And if Boeheim is still coaching at that time, I would love for them to play for Boeheim.

Sounds like young Stevie is a chip off the old block as both an athlete and a student. If I remember correctly, Dad was the Bristol Myers(?) student athlete of the month throughout the BB season.
One of my all time favorite SU players. The article brought back a lot of great memories of Stevie finishing a break or going up (and up!) to get a rebound.

Stevie was a very good student; one of the brighter and more engaging guys from that era. Always glad to see that he's doing well.

Very nice interview.

I remember an interview that Coach Boeheim gave when Stevie was a senior. Jimmy said he had his head on straight and thought about only basketball and studies. Was not sure in what order.

i can remember big hoya john thompson talking in an interview about how stevie thompson was his biggest nightmare on that loaded SU team. great finisher and one of our best defenders ever. free throws...not so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom