Class of 2019 - CB Garrett Williams (NC) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 12/19/18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CB Garrett Williams (NC) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 12/19/18

We're obviously loading up on secondary players. He'd be #4

Is fast-rising Hickory Ridge player best cover corner in NC? His new coach thinks so

A focus on defense

Last year was the first time Williams spent an entire season at cornerback. He’d been a quarterback his entire life, but the switch paid dividends. He had 68 tackles, three interceptions and 18 pass deflections for an 11-3 Hickory Ridge team that advanced to the third round of the 4A playoffs.

Williams also scored four touchdowns, had 639 all-purpose yards and earned a spot on the Observer’s All-Region First Team. Since the season ended, he worked out with Hickory Ridge’s track team to improve his speed — he’s down to a 4.47 40-yard dash as of a few weeks ago, Greiner said.

“He’s picked up his speed, but his ball skills are unbelievable,” Greiner said. “You’re talking about true covering ability at the corner position, I’d put him above anybody in the state.”

When Greiner was on Butler’s defensive staff, he coached his fair share of talented defensive backs, including Eddie Whitley, a starter at Virginia Tech, and Robert Blanton, a six-year NFL veteran at safety.

But Williams — the sixth-grader who wanted to star at Hickory Ridge and is now doing just that — still stands above the rest.

“On a pure covering ability,” Greiner said, “I think Garrett’s the best I’ve ever seen.”

Last edited:
So, any insight in this prospect?

He any good? Seems like decent size for a CB, for a kid just entering the beginning of senior year of HS.

He any good? Seems like decent size for a CB, for a kid just entering the beginning of senior year of HS.

He's blazing fast and athletic, and tall enough.
They can work on all the rest when he gets here.

Here's some good info from an article from the Charlotte Observer [area he's from]:

• “He’s picked up his speed, but his ball skills are unbelievable,” Greiner said. “You’re talking about true covering ability at the corner position, I’d put him above anybody in the state.”

• When Greiner was on Butler’s defensive staff, he coached his fair share of talented defensive backs, including Eddie Whitley, a starter at Virginia Tech, and Robert Blanton, a six-year NFL veteran at safety.

But Williams — the sixth-grader who wanted to star at Hickory Ridge and is now doing just that — still stands above the rest.​

“On a pure covering ability,” Greiner said, “I think Garrett’s the best I’ve ever seen.”​

Kid sounds like not just a good pickup, but a GREAT pickup!

Bright kid too. Offers from Army, Air Force, Furman, and i believe i saw Yale on his twitter feed (or whatever it's called).

One of my co-workers brother is the HC coach at South Point HS in Gastonia and I asked him about this kid he said he is a legit D1 player.

He said Moe Neal was better in HS but the kid isn’t bad.

Nice pick up, glad to see he had an offer from Maryland, WVU and to a lesser extent ECU. Always a positive to win some battles against Peer type of schools (WVU/Maryland).
His Maryland offer wasn't committable. Can't confirm the WVU one.

Well that's less then optimal news, we really need to reel in some recruits with peer offers or higher in this class. Can't have to many guys who are under radar or only have non Power 5 offers. Hopefully we can land a few guys higher up on our board as things play out.

Goodness sakes. And if this class doesn't play out and Babers ends up getting the hook, the forum is gonna be talking how Babers left the cupboard bare.

And then everyone will expect the next coach to fill the cupboard ...until he leaves and everyone will say he left the cupboard bare.

Dear Garrett,

000d00037932cbadedc3de65e9c9c682--steven-spielberg-movies-original-memes.jpg