CBSSports: ACC has received applications from SU and Pitt | Syracusefan.com

CBSSports: ACC has received applications from SU and Pitt

Excuse me, I'll be back in a minute.

No wait, I'm done.

So then the question is, if you assume that there's truth to this, would SU and Pitt send application letters if they didn't have a verbal agreement in place already?

The ACC has also upped the exit fee to $20 million for each member, which was approved unanimously.

wow, that's all I can say.

duke and UNC up in the dome in the winters and FSU and Miami up in the Fall. Awesome.

Somebody cue up Hawk Harrilson SU and Pitt we GONE!!

The ACC has also upped the exit fee to $20 million for each member, which was approved unanimously.
Didn't the BE increase our exit fee (to $5M?) after the BC/VT defections?

Either FSU and Va Tech have deep pockets, or they must know they're not getting an SEC invite anytime soon.

Otherwise they would have voted against increasing the exit fee.

So ... the SEC stops at 14, or teams 15 and 16 won't be poached from the ACC.

Good. ACC is the better fit by far. Big 10 would be a disaster.

The other interesting thing in the cbssports article is about 10 other teams contacting the ACC. So is this a move by just SU and PITT or does it inclued other BE members to form an East Coast Superconference?

ESPN with lead story: 'Cuse and Pitt make application to ACC...confirmed by second source and that ACC is going to expand.

This is me this morning

underwear-dance.gif

Good. ACC is the better fit by far. Big 10 would be a disaster.

I don't know if it would be a disaster, but the ACC is an infinitely better fit.

frome the espn article, is this a shot at Rutgers:

"It's only asset the Big East has is the TV market, which may house the birthplace but has never been the soul of college football."

Increasing the exit fee means FSU is probably staying in the ACC. Adding 2 teams means we go to 14 inside the ACC.

Guessing they add 2 more to get to 16 at some point. Texas and Texas Tech? Or UCONN and WV? Notre Dame? My guess is Notre Dame/somebody is first choice. Then they shoot for Tex/Tex Tech. Last resort is UCONN/WV

I heard ACC stops at 14. Texas and ND join the conference as non-football members. Each pledge 4 games a piece with ACC teams every year, and ESPN renegotiates the ACC contract. The real reason we are going to the ACC is ESPN knows the Big East wasn't going to resign with them and so they destabilized the league before it could go on the free agent market with 9 teams and potentially Missouri, Kansas, and Kansas State as well.

I heard ACC stops at 14. Texas and ND join the conference as non-football members. Each pledge 4 games a piece with ACC teams every year, and ESPN renegotiates the ACC contract. The real reason we are going to the ACC is ESPN knows the Big East wasn't going to resign with them and so they destabilized the league before it could go on the free agent market with 9 teams and potentially Missouri, Kansas, and Kansas State as well.

Thats been on multiple message boards the past 24 hours. I have no idea if it is true, but I do know a year or so ago SU and ND were entertaining ACC discussions about ND having some "arrangement" with a new ACC.

Didn't ND want that arrangement with the ACC in 2003, and the ACC refused?

If this happens then count me in as coming around to leaving the BE- it now seems inevitable.

Basically, the ACC bosses have shored up their foundations by increasing the exit fee, & then shredded the only viable competition (the BE), by raiding 2 of its bedrock programs. Brilliant.
Just Syracuse alone would've been a mortal blow, but by those two PROACTIVE manuevers, the ACC is now looking solid as a rock.

Meanwhile in Providence, Marinotta is scheduling more seminars regarding expansion, while the ACC is robbing his house. I don't want to be associated with a conference thats short-sighted, stubborn, & slow.
Unfortunately, thats today's BE.:mad:

Well, the NY Times gave us the smoke. Perhaps CBS has found the fire?

http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/32034930

I learned a long time ago to not get my hopes up and still think this is probably all nonsense and we'll end up nowhere. But of ALL the rumors, articles or talking head reports I've read this is only the 2nd time I've ever seen it reported that a school has actually submitted an application to a conference. The first being Texas A&M. The next being Syracuse/Pitt.

All the rumors/reports are always just 'in talks'. I don't recall over the past couple of years reading anything that said 'insert school' has actually submitted an application.

This is too good to be true so it probably isn't but my fingers are crossed. Would be a dream to be in the ACC.