Center recruits | Syracusefan.com

Center recruits

Cuse1055

SU Video Maven
Ok so let’s just assume Isaiah picks Hop and Wahab doesn’t come here. If those two things happen are there any names to be on the lookout for? Carrigan has been quiet and I know there’s always the possibility of a grad transfer. Bringing in one more big is absolutely ideal if Pascal takes his diploma and doesn’t come back.

Ok so let’s just assume Isaiah picks Hop and Wahab doesn’t come here. If those two things happen are there any names to be on the lookout for? Carrigan has been quiet and I know there’s always the possibility of a grad transfer. Bringing in one more big is absolutely ideal if Pascal takes his diploma and doesn’t come back.

If Carrigan can get the grades, he has a solid body and is a terrific rim protector. Kind of a cross between Etan Thomas and what Sidibe was like in HS before he hurt his knee. Not a huge guy, but really good timing and good bounce.

I think many fans are going to be pleasantly surprised by jba
At times we have been “pleasantly surprised” by chukwu - that’s what you say when you’re trying to ease the sting of disappointment. If JB wants his final years to be anything but bubble talk he needs to close the deal on some of these whales. I find our continued year-over-year inability to appeal to any of these elite big men to be pretty disturbing. It’s a major red flag that we need a staff shakeup.

I want a Chewey back!
I hope this is one of the fall back positions, convincing PC to come back. I think I would want PC over Carrigan.

With I. Stewart and/or PC, means the staff needs to be looking for a Center in 2020 as a priority. The fun never stops.

Time to "coach up" Sidibe. I know he has had an injury but he hasn't really shown much improvement over last year. I expected more from him this year. It seems like every team we play has better centers than SU. What gives there? Can we recruit a center that can actually make baskets around the rim.

At times we have been “pleasantly surprised” by chukwu - that’s what you say when you’re trying to ease the sting of disappointment. If JB wants his final years to be anything but bubble talk he needs to close the deal on some of these whales. I find our continued year-over-year inability to appeal to any of these elite big men to be pretty disturbing. It’s a major red flag that we need a staff shakeup.
You're going to need another attack point than bubble talk. It's over. SU is not now, or any remaining time in JB's tenure, a bubble team.

You can look back at that Duke win and put an RIP on the bubble talk narrative. If as NM says it's only going to take 17 wins, no realistic person would say SU is anywhere near the bubble at this point. And won't be for the rest of JB's tenure. It's over. And that is without your whale Center.

An Isaiah Stewart center moves SU from good to top 10.

Time to "coach up" Sidibe. I know he has had an injury but he hasn't really shown much improvement over last year. I expected more from him this year. It seems like every team we play has better centers than SU. What gives there? Can we recruit a center that can actually make baskets around the rim.
I haven't lost hope in boo. He hasn't played a ton.

i've been high on jba for awhile - even when i was confident we'd get other bigs like akok & qudus. i love his skill set: rim protection + 3 pt shooting. it's what made tyler lydon special and i think jba will be at least as effective as was lydon. and if he hadn't lost so much time to injury, his final class ranking would have been similar to tyler's, too. he is a great get.

Before we invoke the name of TL(whom many on here picked as 5th in our recruiting class, whereas I called him likely #1 at that time), does JBA have any highlight tapes like this that knock the announcer out of his sentence? Is he going to be a tourney hero when called on to play out of position against a superior team, like TL did as a freshman? Just asking.

In my opinion, the memory of some of our former players gets devalued, and/or expectations on the freshman seasons of incoming recruits gets raised above what actually happens. I'm not sure if I can think of any examples of the latter off the top of my head at the moment, though...so maybe the former can suffice?

Last edited:
i've been high on jba for awhile - even when i was confident we'd get other bigs like akok & qudus. i love his skill set: rim protection + 3 pt shooting. it's what made tyler lydon special and i think jba will be at least as effective as was lydon. and if he hadn't lost so much time to injury, his final class ranking would have been similar to tyler's, too. he is a great get.

I don't see the mobility of a Tyler Lydon with JBA. Seriously, give me some of what you're smoking.

Here's a highlight clip from an AAU game last summer. Kid can't dribble well. Doesn't seem to have great balance or athleticism. He's just kind of big. You can also find a highlight post from a scrimmage online, but even against nobody on defense, he just looks moderately skilled, doesn't display great hands.

A couple of months ago, a poster with tie to the program suggested that there was a center prospect we were recruiting that wasn't publically known at that point, but who would be a huge "get" and a great system fit. Then, radio silence.

Any updates there?

will find out this week
3C661CAE-E3FF-4E89-92E0-2EAE51958B9A.gif

the kid i heard about committed somewhere else end of LY, he is gone

the kid i heard about committed somewhere else end of LY, he is gone
So, do you remember the player’s name since you were going to mentioned the name back (months ago) when you said you found a possible candidate? What is/was the player’s name?

So, do you remember the player’s name since you were going to mentioned the name back (months ago) when you said you found a possible candidate? What is/was the player’s name?

I do remember, no reason to call it out now

I would be pleasantly surprised with JBA if he plays half as many minutes next year than Braswell has played this year