CFN Syracuse Preview | Syracusefan.com

CFN Syracuse Preview

GoSU96

Living Legend
Spiking this out from Tomcats daily news

Fiutak has always been fair. Good balanced take.

He did pick up on the fact that the oline is going to be huge and the youth movement last year has younger players more experienced than normal.

My expectation is that this will be the most positive analysis we will see the whole preseason.

World, prepared to be shocked.

Yeah, Steven Godfrey does all of the "what other coaches say" stuff for Athlon. Just from what I got him to say about his thoughts on Syracuse in a recent chat - expect the comments in Athlon from other ACC coaches to be uh, pretty brutal.

He did pick up on the fact that the oline is going to be huge and the youth movement last year has younger players more experienced than normal.

My expectation is that this will be the most positive analysis we will see the whole preseason.

Agree that this CFN article seems like a good, realistic take on where things stand. Projecting 5.5 wins, so we're on The Bubble!

Date Opponent Time/TV Comments
Saturday September 4th at Ohio
Saturday September 11th RUTGERS 9/11 Remembrance
Saturday, September 19th SUNY ALBANY COVID Hero Recognition Day?
Friday, September 24th LIBERTY
Saturday, October 2nd at Florida State Board tailgate likely
Saturday, October 9th WAKE FOREST
Friday, October 15th CLEMSON
Saturday, October 23rd at Virginia Tech
Saturday, October 30th BOSTON COLLEGE 3rd year in a row BC plays in the dome
Saturday, November 6th BYE
Saturday, November 13th at Louisville 3rd year in a row SU plays at UL
Saturday, November 20th at NC State
Saturday, November 27th PITTSBURGH

This is a little early for this but what the hell.

Would love to win the first 4 but I am not sure we will be favored in any of those games except SUNY Albany. Given our struggles with OOC games, going 3-1 would be a good result.

The next 4 are going to be very tough. Just getting 1 win would be a pretty good result here.

I think the last 4 should be more reasonable games for us to win and would be disappointed if we only won 1. I think having decent depth for the first time in the Babers era will really help us here.

The hope is to win the first 4 and 2 of the 3 winnable home games (Wake, BC and Pitt). None of the road games are against teams I project as top 25 teams and all are winnable in my mind. Though we will be 10 point underdogs or more in all of those games.

If we could win one of the 4 ACC road games, and the 6 outlined above, that would constitute a really good season and one I will be thrilled with. I project a lot of close games. Am thinking our defense is going to be the better unit, but the offense should make steady improve as the season progresses.

Saturday September 4that Ohio
Saturday September 11thRUTGERS9/11 Remembrance
Saturday, September 19thSUNY ALBANYCOVID Hero Recognition Day?
Friday, September 24thLIBERTY
Saturday, October 2ndat Florida StateBoard tailgate likely
Saturday, October 9thWAKE FOREST
Friday, October 15thCLEMSON
Saturday, October 23rdat Virginia Tech
Saturday, October 30thBOSTON COLLEGE3rd year in a row BC plays in the dome
Saturday, November 6thBYE
Saturday, November 13that Louisville3rd year in a row SU plays at UL
Saturday, November 20that NC State
Saturday, November 27thPITTSBURGH

Would love to win the first 4 but I am not sure we will be favored in any of those games except SUNY Albany. Given our struggles with OOC games, going 3-1 would be a good result.

The next 4 are going to be very tough. Just getting 1 win would be a pretty good result here.

I think the last 4 should be more reasonable games for us to win and would be disappointed if we only won 1. I think having decent depth for the first time in the Babers era will really help us here.

The hope is to win the first 4 and 2 of the 3 winnable home games (Wake, BC and Pitt). None of the road games are against teams I project as top 25 teams and all are winnable in my mind. Though we will be 10 point underdogs or more in all of those games.

If we could win one of the 4 ACC road games, and the 6 outlined above, that would constitute a really good season and one I will be thrilled with. I project a lot of close games. Am thinking our defense is going to be the better unit, but the offense should make steady improve as the season progresses.

Got to find a way to six wins before the bye.

How does that CFN article not even mention Bleich when they talk so much about the OL.
Problem is no one really knows how Bleich is doing or will do. With the very limited information from the spring we have no idea. He has been preordained a start since he arrived but we will have to wait to see how he recovered from the injury. It’s similar to Willie Tyler. People are having him as a starter before he shows to campus.
I really want improvement on the OL but we will have to all wait to see how the pieces fall into place.

Problem is no one really knows how Bleich is doing or will do. With the very limited information from the spring we have no idea. He has been preordained a start since he arrived but we will have to wait to see how he recovered from the injury. It’s similar to Willie Tyler. People are having him as a starter before he shows to campus.
I really want improvement on the OL but we will have to all wait to see how the pieces fall into place.

they should know who he is and that he’s a great add to the OL and a potential starter.

Saturday September 4that Ohio
Saturday September 11thRUTGERS9/11 Remembrance
Saturday, September 19thSUNY ALBANYCOVID Hero Recognition Day?
Friday, September 24thLIBERTY
Saturday, October 2ndat Florida StateBoard tailgate likely
Saturday, October 9thWAKE FOREST
Friday, October 15thCLEMSON
Saturday, October 23rdat Virginia Tech
Saturday, October 30thBOSTON COLLEGE3rd year in a row BC plays in the dome
Saturday, November 6thBYE
Saturday, November 13that Louisville3rd year in a row SU plays at UL
Saturday, November 20that NC State
Saturday, November 27thPITTSBURGH

We need to win early because the meat of the schedule is in the second half.

they should know who he is and that he’s a great add to the OL and a potential starter.
Didn’t know that but not surprised. Liberty is least confident win in the first 9.

It will all come down to if we can score, not unlike WMU 2 years ago in the dome. If we put up 40 we win regardless and we should be able to do that at home with a healthy line and 2 capable QBs and Tucker.

In year 6, it should be reasonable to expect to win those. I wish I was more confident than I am.
I hate to agree with this but I do agree.

I will say I am confident there are enough changes that give me at least a glimmer of hope (as opposed to just hoping Cav turns into a oline guru overnight)

I hate to agree with this but I do agree.

I will say I am confident there are enough changes that give me at least a glimmer of hope (as opposed to just hoping Cav turns into a oline guru overnight)
That's exactly where I am at. I love the changes especially with Schmidt as OL coach and the OL talent will be a big improvement imo. I'm also liking having a QB competition with 2 viable candidates. I think White did some good things on defense in year 1 that we can build off of.

But will that be enough this year? I've been burned a few times on the football and basketball prediction side the past few seasons, so I'm remaining cautiously hopeful at best.

Last edited:
lets just for grins assume we are just a bit better on the oline. Maybe we dont have to play the 4th string QB.. maybe we score in the red zone 50% of the time..

game 1 vs ranked UNC 10-6 going into the 4th.. with any oline play at all we are leading or tied
game 2 vs ranked pitt 14-10 going into the 4th
gt Win
game 4 Duke 27-21 with 30 sec in the 3rd 30-24 with under 6 to go..

4 games 1-3 imagine we make 2-3 more first downs just by being a bit better on the oline.. that pushes all these games into very late coin flips..

Liberty. ugh.. lost the QB maybe we dont get the ball down 14-7 at the 10 and cant figure out how to score..

clemson 27-21 with 2 min to go in the 3rd and we fumble to give them the lead

now we are 1-5 with 4 losses in basically 1 score games in the 4th

wake ugh

BC up 10-6 in the 4th and a shot at the end..

Lou Ugh

NC st up 29-27 in the 4th

ND down 10-7 should been half time but we gave up 2 scores in. again oline play matters.. run out the clock and end the half and see what happens.

the record says 1-11.. but thats 6 losses with a team with no QB and no Oline that hung around late against almost everyone including clemson and ND to find final 4 teams..

not a big leap to winning 2-3 of those early games and winning leads to more winning..

Didn’t know that but not surprised. Liberty is least confident win in the first 9.

It will all come down to if we can score, not unlike WMU 2 years ago in the dome. If we put up 40 we win regardless and we should be able to do that at home with a healthy line and 2 capable QBs and Tucker.

I know what you mean but I think you responded the wrong post of mine. You’re talking about the liberty QB right?

That's exactly where I am at. I love the changes especially with Schmidt as OL coach and the OL talent will be a big improvement imo. I'm also liking having a QB competition with 2 viable candidates. I think White did some good things on defense in year 1 that we can build off of.

But will that be enough this year? I've been burned a few times on the football and basketball prediction side the past few seasons, so I'm remaining cautiously hopeful at best.
This is the best schedule we've had on a long time.

If ever there's a season where things line up for us to make a bowl, this is it.

Oh boy I owe some cali awards, yikes. Will be getting on that soon.

I will agree that this is DEFINITELY the most optimistic preview we’ll see.