Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 134 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Dad saw son unable to make a definite decision and gave a commitment date to gently push Joe to seriously weighing his options. Joe chose Cuse, dad’s now probably relieved its over. Seemed like the stress of the process went to the dad rather than Joe

Very happy with this "get."

Any doubts I had about system fit were erased when the kid explained that he is competitive, and wanted to play with the best and against the best. In other words, he's not afraid of competition.

In today's era of positionless basketball, it doesn't matter if he isn't a pure point. He could play alongside guys like Goodine / Boeheim that have some versatility, and can help to share both ball handling and playmaking responsibilities. The biggest question I have is: will his football "strength" translate defensively? Even at 6-1 or 6-2, a guy who understands the zone and has good anticipation can be solid up top--especially if they can fight through screens and have the athleticism to be active / bothersome on the wing.

It's always nice to add another knock down shooter. And if this kid somehow brings Stewart along for the ride, then what a slam dunk commit.

His ratings are complete bulls--t, by the way.

Yeah, didn't get a warm and fuzzy from his dad in that article
I didn't get a warm fuzzy from his dad when it was broadcast live. His mom was doing cartwheels. Could be his personality. All business. I respect that.

Paul harris i believe was the biggest hype. For me personally, the most excited ive ever been for a recruit was after watching melo in the mcds game.
Might get that same treat if Stewart comes

I can't say a lot of things I know because there are lurkers on the board but if you were to go back somewhere in this thread I'm pretty sure I talked about Mom wanting him to go to Syracuse.

A couple other things I said in the early pages of this thread I stand by 110% are that he's very GMac-esque. He reminds me so much of GerryMac it's uncanny. From his competitiveness and will to win to his ability to score and score with the pressure on.

2/3 years ago I talked about how competitive he was in this thread, when he was a freshman/soph, and the kid echoed that in his presser last night.

I have ZERO idea how his career will turn out but we got an uber-competitor, a kid that can really shoot the rock and score points and who has a high sports IQ (and academic one). He's the kid who went undefeated as a pop-warner QB and won a State Football Championship as a QB. He'll probably end up coaching one day. Not an explosive jump out of the gym athlete but he doesn't have to be. Checks all the other boxes we want. I would not bet against this kid and am super excited we got him. Now I don't have to be pissed that we missed on him while he comes off the bench and drains 7 three-pointers against us.

Last edited:
I can't say a lot of things I know because there are lurkers on the board but if you were to go back somewhere in this thread I'm pretty sure I talked about Mom wanting him to go to Syracuse.

A couple other things I said in the early pages of this thread I stand by 110% are that he's very GMac-esque. He reminds me so much of GerryMac it's uncanny. From his competitiveness and will to win to his ability to score and score with the pressure on.

2/3 years ago I talked about how competitive he was in this thread, when he was a freshman/soph and the kid echoed that in his presser last night.

I have ZERO idea how his career will turn out but we got an uber-competitor, a kid that can really shoot the rock and score points and who has a high sports IQ (and academic one). He's the kid who went undefeated as a pop-warner QB and won a State Football Championship as a QB. He'll probably end up coaching one day. Not a an explosive jump out of the gym athlete but he doesn't have to be. Checks all the other boxes we want. I would not bet against this kid and am super excited we got him. Now I don't have to be pissed that we missed on him while he comes of the bench and drains 7 three-pointers against us.
Good post.

At the end of the day, he's a 4 player, most likely a 2-year starter; and a kid that despite his current ranking will more than likely have leave campus with a resume that you'd expect a top 50 kid to have.

Any doubts I had about system fit were erased when the kid explained that he is competitive, and wanted to play with the best and against the best. In other words, he's not afraid of competition.

In today's era of positionless basketball, it doesn't matter if he isn't a pure point. He could play alongside guys like Goodine / Boeheim that have some versatility, and can help to share both ball handling and playmaking responsibilities. The biggest question I have is: will his football "strength" translate defensively? Even at 6-1 or 6-2, a guy who understands the zone and has good anticipation can be solid up top--especially if they can fight through screens and have the athleticism to be active / bothersome on the wing.

It's always nice to add another knock down shooter. And if this kid somehow brings Stewart along for the ride, then what a slam dunk commit.

I'm not concerned about shooting or toughness with JG3 and if he is going to continue to improve with better competition I think he could be valuable in year 3 and 4. He really needs to improve his ball handling. That is the main thing I think he needs to work on. He seems like a really hard working kid so that is certainly possible. It is hard for me to project because I can't think of a kid like him we have had. GMac is a much better ball handler so it's hard for me to compare them. Who is another 6'1" off guard we have recruited that has come here.

I'm not concerned about shooting or toughness with JG3 and if he is going to continue to improve with better competition I think he could be valuable in year 3 and 4. He really needs to improve his ball handling. That is the main thing I think he needs to work on. He seems like a really hard working kid so that is certainly possible. It is hard for me to project because I can't think of a kid like him we have had. GMac is a much better ball handler so it's hard for me to compare them. Who is another 6'1" off guard we have recruited that has come here.

Have you seen him play?

willingness to come despite competition is a big thing. he knows/has played against both buddy and goodine, maybe carey too (idk). he's not afraid of challenging them for pt.

Again, let's not get hung up on positions. He's a GUARD. He can shoot. He isn't the most instinctive play maker or passer, but that can improve. As a combo guard, he'll be able to play alongside another combo guard like Goodine. Between the two of them, we'll be fine.

No question, he'll have to sharpen his skill set, just like 99% of all incoming frosh. If he's the hard working competitor he's reputed to be, then that's just what he'll do.

I always felt like GMac's offensive skill set was greatly enhanced by him being able to play with other great offensive players like Carmelo and Hak his freshman year. As the third or fourth scoring option, defenses couldn't key on him. I think it will be similar with a guy like Girard, who could be really effective as the team's third or fourth scorer, with other good players spacing the floor around him. The question in my mind is: will he prove to be a better defender than GMac, due to being a little bit stronger and hard nosed?

Again, let's not get hung up on positions. He's a GUARD. He can shoot. He isn't the most instinctive play maker or passer, but that can improve. As a combo guard, he'll be able to play alongside another combo guard like Goodine. Between the two of them, we'll be fine.

No question, he'll have to sharpen his skill set, just like 99% of all incoming frosh. If he's the hard working competitor he's reputed to be, then that's just what he'll do.

I always felt like GMac's offensive skill set was greatly enhanced by him being able to play with other great offensive players like Carmelo and Hak his freshman year. As the third or fourth scoring option, defenses couldn't key on him. I think it will be similar with a guy like Girard, who could be really effective as the team's third or fourth scorer, with other good players spacing the floor around him. The question in my mind is: will he prove to be a better defender than GMac, due to being a little bit stronger and hard nosed?
People talk about his QB ability but don't talk about him playing on defense. I believe he won awards on the defensive side of the ball. I don't think he will be any shrinking violet. If he was 6'5" he would probably be a top 20 ranked recruit. No one knows his ceiling but he has a ton of potential. Glad you and most people realize his importance to the Syracuse program. And glad he realizes it as well.

As he is an ex quarterback, I am anticipating a high court iq like Marek. I expect to see him equally focused on assists and getting his teammates involved. This is what quarterback s do. And they run(shoot) when necessary or opportunity presents itself. He’s now at a level that requires team more team play

There was no hype when Flynn was signed. He was seen as an afterthought to Paul Harris. There was a lot of hype about him after his brilliant Co-MVP McDonald,s performance complete with baseline drives ending with tomahawk dunks, and feeds to Green etc.

I think Dad saw son unable to make a definite decision and gave a commitment date to gently push Joe to seriously weighing his options. Joe chose Cuse, dad’s now probably relieved its over. Seemed like the stress of the process went to the dad rather than Joe

Agreed. And also let's be honest.. Dad played for a guy who JG3 could have too. Whether he pushed it or not, every parent certainly likes to feel confident about their kids success and familiarity can provide that. Hence why UM was such a big player early on or at least that is how it seemed.

His dad did seem exhausted and glad it's over but also probably still having that normal parental worry he doesn't know as much as he would if it was his old coach. Kudos to Gerry here as it's clear with those family Dynamics that he struck a connection that helped finalize a decision and one that JG3 feels good about.

Have you seen him play?
I have. Not in person. Is that what you mean? I will admit because of the talent level he goes up against it is hard to evaluate but I think his ball handling will be something he could improve that would make a big difference. He is a good shooter both spotting up and off the bounce and isn't bothered by defenders being close to him. I like his shooting and toughness but since he won't be the greatest athlete improved ball handling will be really important. I'm happy he committed. He is a winner and you can never have too maybe players who can shoot and have a winning mentality.

I have. Not in person. Is that what you mean? I will admit because of the talent level he goes up against it is hard to evaluate but I think his ball handling will be something he could improve that would make a big difference. He is a good shooter both spotting up and off the bounce and isn't bothered by defenders being close to him. I like his shooting and toughness but since he won't be the greatest athlete improved ball handling will be really important. I'm happy he committed. He is a winner and you can never have too maybe players who can shoot and have a winning mentality.

Yes in person. I'd say is handle is ahead of his passing.

As far as competition goes, he played against the same competition as all elite prospects in the EYBL.

I'm not sure why that continuously gets glossed over.

Sorry if my post came across negative. That wasn't my intention. I think he will get better as he is a hard working kid. He is already a good shooter and I think he will be a good defender over time.

As he is an ex quarterback, I am anticipating a high court iq like Marek. I expect to see him equally focused on assists and getting his teammates involved. This is what quarterback s do. And they run(shoot) when necessary or opportunity presents itself. He’s now at a level that requires team more team play
Last night I was thinking now that he is set with Cuse and holds the record that maybe he focuses more on assists this season. Doubt he can average more than 50 so why not work on other things. Maybe.

Many solid points here, including the value of complimentary shooters to spread the floor and punish defenses for tunnel vision. Truth be told, I was iffy on JGIII a year ago because of questions about his size and athleticism. But the staff - and many CNY posters that have seen him play - are confident that he can develop and contribute. What I have noticed in the last few days is that he is intelligent, on top of his academics, competitive, high bbIQ, unafraid of contact or pressure, relies on strong family support, loves SU and has a stunning 50 ppg average. All I can say is welcome aboard and congratulations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors