Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, the NYS high school record for career points is 2,946 by Lance Stephenson. This kid has over 1,000 career points as a FRESHMAN (I believe he played varsity as an 8th grader, but if you take his scoring average of 33 ppg this year times the 22 games he's played, he has over 700 points this year alone). If he stays healthy and doesn't transfer to a prep school out of state, he has a chance to shatter that record.

I'd try to sign this kid up now. At least offer him. Granted its a long way away, but I really don't want to see another Jimmer situation occur. I just dont think you can ever have enough pure shooters. JB seems to disagree.

Jimmer Fredette was never going to go to Syracuse. He was BYU all the way. His decision had nothing to do with whether we recruited him or not.

Jimmer Fredette was never going to go to Syracuse. He was BYU all the way. His decision had nothing to do with whether we recruited him or not.
Given his religious beliefs I have no idea if you're right or not. However I do remember that because we had rectified Flynn we didn't really recruit Jimmer, but actually advised BYU about him. At least I thought Hop made a call on his behalf out there

Given his religious beliefs I have no idea if you're right or not. However I do remember that because we had rectified Flynn we didn't really recruit Jimmer, but actually advised BYU about him. At least I thought Hop made a call on his behalf out there

I have no inside information, so you may be right. My guess is that BYU already had him in their scopes.

the books are riddled with kids who were lights us shooters in HS at a higher level than this kid and couldnt shoot a lick in college.. Remember Curtis Aikens best shooter in the state back in the 80s went to Pitt and couldn't even make FTs. best High School shooter I ever saw live.

the books are riddled with kids who were lights us shooters in HS at a higher level than this kid and couldnt shoot a lick in college.. Remember Curtis Aikens best shooter in the state back in the 80s went to Pitt and couldn't even make FTs. best High School shooter I ever saw live.
I'm not sure Aiken is the best example. It's true he was a great HS player and he couldn't shoot FT's but he still scored 1200 points at Pitt and averaged double figures his last two seasons. Plus he shared the court with Smith, Lane and Gore who were all pretty good scorers as well. But, your point is well taken. There are other great examples but most players do end up playing at the right level (maybe not originally but if and when they transfer).

37 points tonight in his teams semi final win after going 0-6 with zero points in the 1st quarter. I believe the sectional final is Thursday night.

Missed a lot of shots tonight, but felt like every one he took was going in. Sees the floor well - a couple really nice passes. Team's best chance to score is JGIII shooting it. Will be interesting to see how he develops/grows.

Only had 9 I think in the first half so he had 28 in the second half. Hit 6 threes and knocked down 3 in a row at one point late to pull away.

Will face Hudson Friday night for the Section II Class B title. I should be able to go so I'll give a report.

Quick hitter here. I walked into the Civic center with about 8 minutes left in the 3rd period. Place was standing room only, 3500 people maybe? Had to be 70% Hudson fans which shocked me and they were loud.

Girard had 39 points and I saw 19 of them. He hit 7 three pointers for the game.

Girard made some mistakes and his shot selection at the end of the game was bad but keeping in mind that he’s a 15 year old freshman who’s carrying his team on his back I thought it was fine. I saw him hit 4 three pointers and they were all lights out. None of them were spot up 3’s. He hit one step back NBA 3 from the top of the key that banked in, it was one of those shots you have to call, but the fact is everything that left his hand you thought it was going to go in.

He was being harassed (pulled, grabbed, hand checked all game) and so he was hitting shots off the dribble and a couple of step back 3’s were unbelievable. These were coming in crunch time to in a seesaw gaame. The kid is a scoring machine. Super impressive for a 15 year old.

Played primarily off the ball but could be a point; at least I think he could be a point. I think Glens Falls erred here by playing him off the ball. He needed the ball in his hands all the time.

It was hard to say if he’s 6-0 from my seat but I have no doubt he’ll hit the mark. He does not physically look like a freshman. You picture scrawny. He’s not. He's also athletic, his handle is excellent (best handle on the court both teams) and his shot is silky smooth with a release that’s as quick as I’ve seen. If he keeps improving/growing he’s going to be a good one, he’ll be a senior 3 seasons from now. wow. He’s WAY ahead of Fredette at the same age.

One thing to note, at 78-75 with 1:19 left Girard got his pocket picked at midcourt while handling the ball. The Hudson kid took the ball and went in for a slam. The Hudson fans went crazy. (the newspaper article only says a steal and layup). Well the steal was against Girard and the layup was a slam dunk that made the place erupt. It was deafening. The momentum swung and I don’t think Glens Falls scored again.

Last edited:
I was at the game too - I think the kid is legit and totally agree this is not some skinny jump shooter. IF he grows at all he's going to be legit. I think he got gassed and would be interesting to see at the PG position with other elite players. If he just gets thicker for the next 3 years he's Spike Albrecht in the Michigan system. Kid can shoot the ball.

I was at the game too - I think the kid is legit and totally agree this is not some skinny jump shooter. IF he grows at all he's going to be legit. I think he got gassed and would be interesting to see at the PG position with other elite players. If he just gets thicker for the next 3 years he's Spike Albrecht in the Michigan system. Kid can shoot the ball.

I thought he was gassed to and probably why they have him play off the ball but my god i was screaming just give the ball to Girard lol.

The step back NBA range 3 off the glass was insane. And like I said, you need to call that crap but it felt like everytime he shot the ball it was going in.

My second favorite shot was the one in the corner from behind the backboard. The shot clock may have been expiring to. That was just a crazy pull up J that he drained and if memory serves it was a crucial shot.

Last edited:
One thing I'd add. He had 6 assists which led his team. And while he has the green light and is not shy about it (from anywhere on the court) he's definitely a team player and looked to dish and get his teammates involved. Maybe it's his age, but most gunners don't look to pass. Fredette never passed the ball. Girard was looking to pass and for as many shots as he takes he's not selfish, at least that was my feel. In fact he should've kept the ball in his hands more often imo.

One thing I'd add. He had 6 assists which led his team. And while he has the green light and is not shy about it (from anywhere on the court) he's definitely a team player and looked to dish and get his teammates involved. Maybe it's his age, but most gunners don't look to pass. Fredette never passed the ball. Girard was looking to pass and for as many shots as he takes he's not selfish, at least that was my feel. In fact he should've kept the ball in his hands more often imo.
Could he be a Kevin Pangos type player?

I couldn't say having only seen him once, and I really can't remember Kevin Pangos. I'll say this - he can handle and he can SHOOT THE ROCK. Not sure what kind of athlete he is but you can tell he knows how to play. Again I'd love to see him in a game with higher level teammates.

I thought he was gassed to and probably why they have him play off the ball but my god i was screaming just give the ball to Girard lol.

The step back NBA range 3 off the glass was insane. And like I said, you need to call that crap but it felt like everytime he shot the ball it was going in.

My second favorite shot was the one in the corner from behind the backboard. The shot clock may have been expiring to. That was just a crazy pull up J that he drained and if memory serves it was a crucial shot.
Pretty amazing how he almost carried his team to the state tournament. How many other freshmen in NYS history can say that.

Not sure what kind of athlete he is but you can tell he knows how to play. Again I'd love to see him in a game with higher level teammates.
He's going to be playing with the City Rocks so he will get an opportunity to be seen by many D-1 coaches.

Very impressive freshman. I had a chance to watch the entire game as my wife teaches at Hudson and we were among the 3,000 or so who drove up from Columbia (and Dutchess) counties Friday evening. I don't follow the recruiting boards on a regular basis so it wasn't until I got back home that I realized you guys had been discussing the Girard kid for some time. It will be interesting to watch him develop over the next few years.

it will be interesting to see how the kid from cooperstown turns out as well.. I think he is a So but had a nice touch and avgs a ton of points with a team that offers him no help at all off the ball. 2 NY state kids that will both by 2000K scorers

it will be interesting to see how the kid from cooperstown turns out as well.. I think he is a So but had a nice touch and avgs a ton of points with a team that offers him no help at all off the ball. 2 NY state kids that will both by 2000K scorers
Yeah I followed him this year and he only was a sophomore but put 55 points in a regional which is pretty damn impressive. He's also the coach's son. I know he needs to get stronger but he's got a nice stroke and can take it to the hoop. Their team is very young too. Center is 6'6" soph and PG/SG is a freshman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom