Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 99 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idk why we haven’t duel offered him why not
After watching the first 3 quarters of Glens Falls' football game Saturday, I have to say I'd be shocked if he was offered by Syracuse as a quarterback. While JGIII was clearly the best athlete on the field yesterday (He was quicker, more explosive and more elusive than anyone else, and at times seemed to be toying with the Schuylerville athletes.), as a QB there is little chance he's going to be competing with the likes of DeVito in the future. Granted, it was only a one-game sample, but what I observed was a talented Class B quarterback whose arm strength and accuracy - particularly under duress - are suspect when it comes to D-1 competition. There's no denying his grit; he took a couple of solid hits and was up in a jiffy - even chirping in the ear of an official after JGIII felt he was hit late after being hurried and decked on one pass attempt. In addition, he doesn't shy away from contact, as exhibited during his slippery scrambles as well as 2 different punt returns. And finally, he's also playing defense, at times lining up on the line of scrimmage on wideouts and at other times playing a version of free safety. So no question he does have a D-1 mindset, but to me it looked like more than a few of his throws were in the air an awful long time and/or were delivered in spots that potentially set up his receivers for big hits. And I haven't mentioned that while he looked to be about 6-2 in cleats, he is nonetheless thinly built, even for a Class B game. All these observations are FWIW. Again, this is only a limited window, and I'm not a football coach. In closing, I will say that I have also seen Joe play basketball. (And yes, I've coached high-school basketball for more than 20 years, although only at the JV level.) I'm hoping that when he does announce - maybe during some ceremony at GFHS in the coming weeks/months? - he puts on a Syracuse hat ... for hoop only.

After watching the first 3 quarters of Glens Falls' football game Saturday, I have to say I'd be shocked if he was offered by Syracuse as a quarterback. While JGIII was clearly the best athlete on the field yesterday (He was quicker, more explosive and more elusive than anyone else, and at times seemed to be toying with the Schuylerville athletes.), as a QB there is little chance he's going to be competing with the likes of DeVito in the future. Granted, it was only a one-game sample, but what I observed was a talented Class B quarterback whose arm strength and accuracy - particularly under duress - are suspect when it comes to D-1 competition. There's no denying his grit; he took a couple of solid hits and was up in a jiffy - even chirping in the ear of an official after JGIII felt he was hit late after being hurried and decked on one pass attempt. In addition, he doesn't shy away from contact, as exhibited during his slippery scrambles as well as 2 different punt returns. And finally, he's also playing defense, at times lining up on the line of scrimmage on wideouts and at other times playing a version of free safety. So no question he does have a D-1 mindset, but to me it looked like more than a few of his throws were in the air an awful long time and/or were delivered in spots that potentially set up his receivers for big hits. And I haven't mentioned that while he looked to be about 6-2 in cleats, he is nonetheless thinly built, even for a Class B game. All these observations are FWIW. Again, this is only a limited window, and I'm not a football coach. In closing, I will say that I have also seen Joe play basketball. (And yes, I've coached high-school basketball for more than 20 years, although only at the JV level.) I'm hoping that when he does announce - maybe during some ceremony at GFHS in the coming weeks/months? - he puts on a Syracuse hat ... for hoop only.
There’s not many good teams in basketball and football in section 2. Once in a while a good player will pop up.

It seems obvious that he either plays basketball for a D1 school or both sports at a lesser level. All I know is that it’s been a while and I’m jonesing for another recruiting commitment. Cmon Joe, pull the trigger and commit to Cuse.

i'm glad we at least offered after putting out a scholie for buddy. (who by the way in no way needs one )

I'm not a huge JG3 guy but having said that if he comes he comes. He can shoot but we already have taller people to do that. Either way I wish he would make a decision soon so we can move on to other people with the first name Lester. I do think he is capable of improving things like his ball handling to the point of being serviceable but cannot imagine a scenario were he plays a lot first year. We will have Carey, Goodine and Buddy who will be ahead of him.

I'm not a huge JG3 guy but having said that if he comes he comes. He can shoot but we already have taller people to do that. Either way I wish he would make a decision soon so we can move on to other people with the first name Lester. I do think he is capable of improving things like his ball handling to the point of being serviceable but cannot imagine a scenario were he plays a lot first year. We will have Carey, Goodine and Buddy who will be ahead of him.

Answered your own question why we haven’t offered Lester.

Why does everyone think JGIII announces before football ends? Did he say that or are we assuming? If they play a lot of Friday nights he can still visit some schools.

Why does everyone think JGIII announces before football ends? Did he say that or are we assuming? If they play a lot of Friday nights he can still visit some schools.
Actually he originally said he wanted to make a decision before football started. Things change.

Actually he originally said he wanted to make a decision before football started. Things change.
Thanks was just curious. He seems pretty dedicated to his football teammates so I wonder if he wouldn't want to detract from what they are trying to do this season by announcing his hoop choice. If week 1 is any indication they will be playing into early November at least.

Can we please discuss Buddys scholarship situation here:
Class of 2018 - SG/SF Buddy Boeheim SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE
And leave this thread for Girard recruitment?
So let it be written, so let it be done.
391f9f40fb4260cb8d8498507abddde1.jpg

Head over to the Buddy thread posted above to discuss his scholarship-worthiness. Thank you.

Many said he had a great Cuse visit and was happy with Boeheims role for him. Some said he would commit within a week of his visit. Joe said he would decide prior to his football season beginning. What has happened? Is he possibly waiting on Stewart to decide? Admittedly concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom