Class of 2019 - Charlie Pride (NY / CT) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 Charlie Pride (NY / CT)

Red is going to have to make some tough roster decisions in order to raise the team's ceiling. I would love to see Red bring "Pride" back to CNY!

Man he is literally perfect. Big, physical, can rebound. Great compliment to the other 2. Veteran leader.

I think you could play all 3 together potentially, but would there be enough shots to go around? I think we could pencil in Judah + JJ for at least 30min each next year. But where does that leave Quadir? I think we will see based on the portal movement to/from our team how Red plans to build this
I'd rather have sophomores Quadir and Justin stay, than get a grad transfer guard for one year. We'll see what happens, but I could rock with JJ/Judah and Q/JT. If anything get a do-it-all forward who can shoot. And Jesse.

How's his outside shot? If we're going to bring in another guard, I think he needs to be a solid 3 point shooter. Does Pride fit the bill?

If we are serious about winning Pride as a 3rd guard in our rotation would do well to make that happen. Sorry if that means people here got recruited over that is what has to be done. Pride would provide awesome depth and flexablity allowing us to go to a 3 guard lineup at times. You don't try to improve the roster because you are going to hurt the current rosters feelings that is what got us in this mess in the first place.

If RED feels Pride is an upgrade to the roster and IF BIG IF he wants to come to play the 3rd guard then you have to have a difficult conversation with Taylor/Copeland. That is what big boy basketball programs do.

If we are serious about winning Pride as a 3rd guard in our rotation would do well to make that happen. Sorry if that means people here got recruited over that is what has to be done. Pride would provide awesome depth and flexablity allowing us to go to a 3 guard lineup at times. You don't try to improve the roster because you are going to hurt the current rosters feelings that is what got us in this mess in the first place.

If RED feels Pride is an upgrade to the roster and IF BIG IF he wants to come to play the 3rd guard then you have to have a difficult conversation with Taylor/Copeland. That is what big boy basketball programs do.

Agreed.

No idea if a guy like this would want to come somewhere he wouldn't start [in all likelihood, unless who go with a three-guard lineup], but I think Red shouldn't worry about recruiting over incumbents.

He should be in win-now mode -- so if he can acquire someone who can help win games, we should be all in.

Not sure Pride will want to come here to be the third guard. I would think he's going to get offers to start at Power 5 schools. JMO.

He’d probably be the starting 2G if we’re being serious. Right now he is a better all around player than JJ.
I didn’t want to say that, but you’re right. Our fans don't think that though.

I don’t see it. Local kid that did well in the AEC/NEC, but that’s a bottom third league (negative SOS his entire career). Solid on offense and rebounding in that context, but a minus defender.

Against top 100 in 22-23:
- 100.6 ORTG (103.8 against top 50)
- .387 2P (.397 career)
+ .400 3P (.370 career)

I don’t see it. Local kid that did well in the AEC/NEC, but that’s a bottom third league (negative SOS his entire career). Solid on offense and rebounding in that context, but a minus defender.

Against top 100 in 22-23:
- 100.6 ORTG (103.8 against top 50)
- .387 2P (.397 career)
+ .400 3P (.370 career)
Starling is worse on defense yet we already think he’s the second coming of Dion Waiters.

I don’t recall mentioning Starling, but do his deficits mean Pride can maintain the AEC/NEC offensive productivity or curb his defensive output in the ACC?
That's fair. Starling had a 117 defensive rating against ACC schools with a 90 offensive rating. I get fans being skeptical of Pride, but there's a lot of blind faith being put in JJ right now that wasn't based on performance this season.

Mintz, Starling, and Pride start.

Copeland is your backup guard when you need a ball handler. Bell/Taylor is your backup guard when you need shooting. If one of them leaves, they leave, but should be room for 5 guys to play a lot at those 3 spots.

Brown/Benny at the PF spot. Hopefully Edwards at the center.

3 guard approach AND moving away from zone would lessen the need to find 6’9 forwards that can shoot, pass, and dribble - those guys are usually 1 and done before theyre even particularly good college players, if we even get them. Probably a lot easier to find a 6’4 guy with that skill set than a 6’8-6’9 one.

Last edited:
He’d probably be the starting 2G if we’re being serious. Right now he is a better all around player than JJ.
If we're being really serious, there is no way Pride would start over JJ Starling at Syracuse.

Pride isn't coming to Syracuse, so no need to worry about it.

But JJ Starling is an ELITE player. Pride is a very good college player. Not the same.

If we're being really serious, there is no way Pride would start over JJ Starling at Syracuse.

Pride isn't coming to Syracuse, so no need to worry about it.

But JJ Starling is an ELITE player. Pride is a very good college player. Not the same.

Like I said, right now Pride is the better player. Not talking about potential. I’d actually like both but I too doubt Pride is coming here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom