Chemistry | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Chemistry

When I was in highschool my chemistry teacher always said that if you ever feel like it's impossible and you're struggling to just remember that "chem is try."

Think I mighta pulled an A- out of my butt on that one.
Myself and about half the class had some real crappy 4th quarter grade. I was borderline failing. Our teacher offered us a deal that if our regents score was higher than the 4th quarter grade he'd make both the same. I studied my ass off to get an 86 on the June 1994 NYS Regents Chemistry test.

Myself and about half the class had some real crappy 4th quarter grade. I was borderline failing. Our teacher offered us a deal that if our regents score was higher than the 4th quarter grade he'd make both the same. I studied my ass off to get an 86 on the June 1994 NYS Regents Chemistry test.
That's a pretty powerful incentive. Interesting idea. Not one I'd think works as a standard policy, but in an emergency like you described where a bunch of kids are falling off, it sounds like that definitely got you fired up and it worked pretty well.

That's a pretty powerful incentive. Interesting idea. Not one I'd think works as a standard policy, but in an emergency like you described where a bunch of kids are falling off, it sounds like that definitely got you fired up and it worked pretty well.

The teacher was near retirement and probably didn't consult the administration on that one.

So we need to pamper one player by having no one behind him to hope he does good? Sounds soft to me
I think he just needs to lay it all on the line especially defensively. May not be best athlete but he could be hardest worker.

Brother. I also scored 86 on the Chem Regents. 3 decades earlier. :)

You guys and your Regents. Glad I went to school in PA and didn't have that crap. We had standardized tests but they didn't mean squat for the students at least.

My chemistry teacher was a retired chemical engineer whom had gone back to school to get his teaching certificate.
Unfortunately he had had a stroke at some point prior to my experience with him. He was near impossible to understand as his speech had been adversely impacted by his stroke.
I always felt sorry for him as he truly tried to do a good job but it was a challenge for both the class, as well as himself.
Anyway, thanks to the Barrons regents book I did get an 91 on the chemistry regents exam.
I literally lived with my Barrons book as a lifesaver for regents prep.
I’m sure others here are more than aware of the Barrons Regents prep books for various courses, and have done similarly.

Last edited:
As far as chemistry goes. I just want Cuse to make things go boom
As far as chemistry goes, I hated my organic chemistry class with the fire of a thousand suns. I feel the same way now after almost 40 years.;)
1623541796633.png

Chemistry in college was so much different than chemistry in high school.

Not a fan.

It was well known the chemistry teacher at my school sucked. Advanced placement kids that got 95+ in every class were in the 80's in hers. Well, I needed 3 sciences but there was nothing saying one had to be chemistry. So, I took physics as a junior and skipped chemistry altogether. Never regretted that move.

I was borderline flunking chemistry, read the book a couple of days before the regents exam and scored a 96.

IMHO, what it does come down to is that every kid is different. Some excell against good competition some don't. Some kids who didn't play against good players learn, then get better when facing it. Those who think they are good push to prove it while others withdraw when they find out they aren't the best. Now I agree that you want the kid not afraid of competition but you don't want the one who thinks he deserves his spot just because he is who he is. (Cough Kadary cough.)

It was well known the chemistry teacher at my school sucked. Advanced placement kids that got 95+ in every class were in the 80's in hers. Well, I needed 3 sciences but there was nothing saying one had to be chemistry. So, I took physics as a junior and skipped chemistry altogether. Never regretted that move.
I took a week of Physics.

It was a week too long.

The teacher was pretty classy about me dropping it. After he signed the paper and I left the room some friends told me went into a story about how recently he attended the wedding of an old highschool friend, that was very successful professionally. It was a pleasant surprise when they found out that one of their other school chums was also there - as a server at the reception venue.

He then went on to explain to the class that he and his newly married friend both took physics in school, and their server friend did not. Suggesting something about me, I guess.

I thought about sending him a picture of when I was on the NYSE for the IPO of a company I joined in its startup days, but thought that might be petty.

It was an 8 X 11.

IMHO, what it does come down to is that every kid is different. Some excell against good competition some don't. Some kids who didn't play against good players learn, then get better when facing it. Those who think they are good push to prove it while others withdraw when they find out they aren't the best. Now I agree that you want the kid not afraid of competition but you don't want the one who thinks he deserves his spot just because he is who he is. (Cough Kadary cough.)
Oh good lord. Some of you all just need to stop. Or stop bitching when we turn every thread into a Kadary was better than Joe argument.

I took a week of Physics.

It was a week too long.

The teacher was pretty classy about me dropping it. After he signed the paper and I left the room some friends told me went into a story about how recently he attended the wedding of an old highschool friend, that was very successful professionally. It was a pleasant surprise when they found out that one of their other school chums was also there - as a server at the reception venue.

He then went on to explain to the class that he and his newly married friend both took physics in school, and their server friend did not. Suggesting something about me, I guess.

I thought about sending him a picture of when I was on the NYSE for the IPO of a company I joined in its startup days, but thought that might be petty.

It was an 8 X 11.
My physics teacher was great. He started the year by saying, "The regents are morons. I will spend the next 35 weeks teaching you physics and the last 5 I will teach how to take the regents." He was really good about keeping it interesting and explaining things practically. I suppose it also helps that I'm wired for it, at least at the high school level.

My high school physics teacher liked to fart out loud in class and then act like none of us could hear it. If any of you went to F-M in the '90s, you probably know who I'm talking about.

My high school physics teacher liked to fart out loud in class and then act like none of us could hear it. If any of you went to F-M in the '90s, you probably know who I'm talking about.

Hopefully he didn't try to experiment with the bunsen burner too much.

I don't know what he thought but Kadary's provided evidence during sometimes limited court time that he should be cutting into Joe's and Buddy's minutes.

In looking at next years team something that is in our favor is chemistry. Its an intangible but it matters more than many realize. The fact that Joe Jimmy Buddy Symir have all played together is big. These guys can finish each others sentences. They know how when what basically everything about each others games. This is huge. I think we are in for a good season.

Gave you a like. Going to push and prod a bit.

I think there may be more camaraderie for the full group from previously knowing/playing/hanging out with each other. Which is great and 100% should help us get inertia early on in terms of the team having good vibes, etc. That is important. I don't need our teams to all be best friends, but it definitely should help to have a comfort level.

However, I want to see how the vets pull in Benny in that case. Basically we have transfers, a little bit of a logjam at the five, but Benny is the only rookie, but likely has the highest ceiling/potential. No disrespect to Buddy who could be all conference, but Benny's top end performance ability may end up being higher (albeit likely less consistent as a frosh v proven Buddy).

I want to see how the lineup / rotations start looking like once we get closer to the season to see how the on-court chemistry works out. I said it previously, my hope is that JGIII focused on how Kyle Lowry does what he does. He can be part SG, part PG, part do-it-all, part veteran sage, etc. I think if he just upticks a little bit with using his given talents to help raise up others (especially the new guys), I think there could be a really nice team there with Cole and Benny benefitting tremendously (and Jimmy, but I'm sort of tabling him as I just assume he's going to have his role, flex up or down, be solid, etc. No knock on him.). I've stated previously that Cole doesn't need to shoot a ton to help us out a ton. I think that allows for Buddy and Benny to be the "stars", let's everyone else fall into place with ideally JGIII or Cole (or Jimmy) being that third "guy", game by game, rotating a bit.

I'm assuming that Buddy will lead the team in scoring, but I'd like to see JGIII really own assists and steals and I'd like to see Benny be a bit of a Pippen on offense where he can get like 11 points, but still get 7 boards and 4 boards and just really help control the game.

BTW, I am holding out hope that Symir can be our change of gear guy when he comes in for limited minutes. I really would like to see a second unit that kind of changes our look on offense just a tad. So guys like Buddy and Joe can get legit rest.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I agree that the team could gel really fast and that can help us out tremendously. I'm very worried about ball movement, but I think the spacing should be better and I think IF we have some early season good fortune, that can really propel us forward (versus some teams that we had where we snagged some early season wins but you knew it was fool's gold).

Also, I know this is a pie in the sky thing, but I would like to see JB be happier more. Granted, that comes with wins. He's coaching his kids. He's got guys that want to be here. He's got vets. He's got Benny. His assistants are all his guys. He's going to outlast K if he wants. He's got his legacy. I would really like to see JB just elevate into his happy place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom