Chief's Stadium Rated Worst in IL | Syracusefan.com

Chief's Stadium Rated Worst in IL

It was a poll of IL radio broadcasters.

Maybe the pre-game buffet needs improvement?

I've never been to any of the current AAA parks so I don't have anything to compare it to, but as a fan I think its a pretty nice stadium and experience. I go a few times a season and never had any complaints about anything.

None of the New York ballparks did particularly well (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse). All three are excellent in my opinion. A poll of fans would look very different.

for the crowds they draw it is fine. If it ever starts drawing people it will be a mess as parking attendants and concessions people seem poorly trained. That said its broadcasters - the pampered masses who complained about losing their courtside seats under Dr Gross.

I haven’t been to a Chiefs game since 2012. I went to a Charlotte game this season. For one to be first and the other last, I didn’t see that big of a difference.

Charlotte’s stadium is 20 years newer, is downtown - fantastic skyline scenery views, easy to walk to, bars and restaurants nearby, etc. So as an overall package, there’s more to offer. But in terms of the stadiums themselves? Not that big of a difference IMO. Charlotte is newer and a little nicer, but I don’t remember feeling there was anything wrong with Syracuse. It’s not a dump or anything, it’s a functional AAA baseball stadium. Incredibly easy to get to and get out of, but also nothing around it to look at or go to before or after. Pros and cons.

Last edited:
Buffalo’s stadium is beautiful as well imo.

I challenge anybody to convince me that the stadium location was remotely intelligent.

We’d be near selling out a lot of nights if that was downtown. I absolutely believe it. The tickets and food are very affordable and its a beautiful diamond.

I haven’t been to a Chiefs game since 2012. I went to a Charlotte game this season. For one to be first and the other last, I didn’t see that big of a difference.

Charlotte’s stadium is 20 years newer, is downtown - fantastic skyline scenery views, easy to walk to, bars and restaurants nearby, etc. So as an overall package, there’s more to offer. But in terms of the stadiums themselves? Not that big of a difference IMO. Charlotte is newer and a little nicer, but I don’t remember feeling there was anything wrong with Syracuse. It’s not a dump or anything, it’s a functional AAA baseball stadium. Incredibly easy to get to and get out of, but also nothing around it to look at or go to before or after. Pros and cons.

there's been some upgrades since. a huge lcd video board, took out the turf and went with natural grass, and upgraded the sound system are a few I can remember.

There will be noticeable upgrades next season - there's a lot of money going into renovations this coming winter.

The location's lackluster (such a stupid decision...even in the mid-'90s, people knew better) and there's been some deferred maintenance. But the Wilpons, despite their Madoff-related stinginess and annual Bobby Bonilla payments, are going to sink some money into the place.

And then hopefully they'll convince the county and state to pay the lion's share of the cost of a new downtown stadium when the lease expires. Because capturing the nightly 'event' crowd is the only way to save pro baseball in Syracuse, in my opinion.

Buffalo’s stadium is beautiful as well imo.

I challenge anybody to convince me that the stadium location was remotely intelligent.

We’d be near selling out a lot of nights if that was downtown. I absolutely believe it. The tickets and food are very affordable and its a beautiful diamond.

It's conveniently located right off an interstate highway, and it's surrounded by a huge parking lot.

Not sure why building a stadium in a highly congested area that's hard to navigate with very little parking is "intelligent".

Is the ability to drink after a game that much of a deciding factor? Most families with children aren't interested in bar-hopping their way through Armory Square. And they're not interested in paying $10-15 to park in a garage.

It's conveniently located right off an interstate highway, and it's surrounded by a huge parking lot.

Not sure why building a stadium in a highly congested area that's hard to navigate with very little parking is "intelligent".

Is the ability to drink after a game that much of a deciding factor? Most families with children aren't interested in bar-hopping their way through Armory Square. And they're not interested in paying $10-15 to park in a garage.

Id be willing to bet most family’s dont even know its there.

People go to games casually and leave before the 7th inning stretch to grab dinner or drinks. Maybe to beat traffick home. Sucks but its the truth. Move it downtown and surround it with more attractions. Put it in no man’s labd between destiny and armory/franklin. Somewhere where people dont have to drive down eye sore blvd to see it/access it

Plenty of room for parking with a closer proximity to downtown

People go to games casually and leave before the 7th inning stretch to grab dinner or drinks. Maybe to beat traffick home. Sucks but its the truth. Move it downtown and surround it with more attractions. Put it in no man’s labd between destiny and armory/franklin. Somewhere where people dont have to drive down eye sore blvd to see it/access it

"No Man's Land" between Destiny and Franklin is the Inner Harbor. At least there would be parking lots.

That's not Downtown. Not even close.

"No Man's Land" between Destiny and Franklin is the Inner Harbor.

That's not Downtown. Not even close.

Not even close? Its directly bordering the westside and franklin square neighborhoods. Itd be $5 uber from tipp hill, franklin sq, clinton sq. Armory square etc. its much closer than where the fields located now.

if you moved it downtown even less people would go if it would be that much harder to get to.. I was at Frontier field last week in Roch and I was impressed with the layout and ease of parking and moving around the stadium.. Would the opinions of media people match the casual public?

I dont know Roch that well downtown.. It was was easy parking but that area of the city is a bit of a pain to drive in with the inner loop..

Now had they just put the ball park on the Destiny side of the high way it may have made a difference too.. you can walk to armory from there or eat at all the Destiny places and go to the game.

Not even close? Its directly bordering the westside and franklin square neighborhoods. Itd be $5 uber from tipp hill, franklin sq, clinton sq. Armory square etc. its much closer than where the fields located now.

Inner Harbor is easily accessible from both 81 and 690, and has plenty of room for parking.

I'm too old to Uber.

Inner Harbor is easily accessible from both 81 and 690, and has plenty of room for parking.

I'm too old to Uber.
Im just talking about the large grass areas/abandoned parking areas between destiny and like Bear St/the west side.

Put the stadium there and its visible from the north and west sides. People can access it from 81, 690 and downtown. You can leave easily after the game or access the bars need be. Honestly they could start a bus line or some sort of metro between destiny and the hill at that point too.

Im just talking about the large grass areas/abandoned parking areas between destiny and like Bear St/the west side.

Put the stadium there and its visible from the north and west sides. People can access it from 81, 690 and downtown. You can leave easily after the game or access the bars need be. Honestly they could start a bus line or some sort of metro between destiny and the hill at that point too.

That's the area most of us call the Inner Harbor.

:bat:

Inner Harbor is a better choice than Downtown.

That's the area most of us call the Inner Harbor.

:bat:

Inner Harbor is a better choice than Downtown.

Buffalo’s stadium is in the middle of downtown. Does great

None of the New York ballparks did particularly well (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse). All three are excellent in my opinion. A poll of fans would look very different.
If you judge what fans think by attendance, which I think is the ultimate way they vote, Syracuse is again at or near the bottom. The attendance and the broadcaster ratings are aligned pretty closely.

Team Total Average

Charlotte Knights 371,985 8,857
Lehigh Valley IronPigs 357,322 8,121
Indianapolis Indians 354,537 8,058
Durham Bulls 336,248 7,154
Columbus Clippers 326,449 8,161
Louisville Bats 302,692 6,440
Toledo Mud Hens 297,391 6,759
Buffalo Bisons 289,788 7,245
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Rail Riders 229,015 5,453
Rochester Red Wings 223,295 5,876
Pawtucket Red Sox 221,619 5,277
Norfolk Tides 207,436 4,939
Syracuse Chiefs 144,507 3,803
Gwinnett Stripers 131,531 3,373

Indianapolis Indians 641,141 9,159
Charlotte Knights 628,526 9,109
Columbus Clippers 616,059 9,060
Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs 555,146 8,541
Buffalo Bisons 526,574 8,101
Durham Bulls 547,841 7,716
Toledo Mud Hens 533,014 7,614
Louisville Bats 467,024 6,868
Rochester Red Wings 445,581 6,553
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Rail Riders 439,412 6,462
Pawtucket Red Sox 409,960 6,406
Norfolk Tides 359,263 5,443
Syracuse Chiefs 292,054 4,636
Gwinnett Braves 210,075 3,135

Charlotte Knights 628,173 8,974
Indianapolis Indians 636,888 8,970
Columbus Clippers 602,171 8,855
Lehigh Valley IronPigs 611,015 8,729
Buffalo Bisons 562,755 8,039
Toledo Mud Hens 532,008 7,824
Durham Bulls 547,156 7,599
Louisville Bats 506,030 7,127
Rochester Red Wings 434,897 6,396
Pawtucket Red Sox 407,097 6,076
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Rail Riders 424,991 6,071
Norfolk Tides 373,042 5,486
Syracuse Chiefs 274,427 4,158
Gwinnett Braves 225,259 3,218

International League Attendance | International League Stats

Plenty of room for parking with a closer proximity to downtown

I think this is especially true for minor league sports. You’re not going to find too many people who truly care if the AAA baseball team wins or not, IMO. Going to the game is more about a night out and something to do for most people. I think having a stadium more in the thick of things works better on the whole, if we’re talking minor league baseball.

It’s not like the Bills or something else, where the game itself is the whole day and the whole attraction so having it in the middle of nowhere with big parking lots around it works.

The Charlotte game I went to was a large crowd - I didn’t get the sense most people really cared though. It was just a fun night out for both adults and families.

I think this is especially true for minor league sports. You’re not going to find too many people who truly care if the AAA baseball team wins or not, IMO. Going to the game is more about a night out and something to do for most people. I think having a stadium more in the thick of things works better on the whole, if we’re talking minor league baseball.

It’s not like the Bills or something else, where the game itself is the whole day and the whole attraction so having it in the middle of nowhere with big parking lots around it works.
Im two years out of college, tons of my friends (who hate baseball, god knows why) go just for the beer/food specials and to get outside. If that was closer and more accessible to young professional neighborhoods then itd be twice as popular i have no doubts

Im two years out of college, tons of my friends (who hate baseball, god knows why) go just for the beer/food specials and to get outside. If that was closer and more accessible to young professional neighborhoods then itd be twice as popular i have no doubts
I have to agree with Blue here. The reason seemingly every baseball stadium built in the last 30 years has been built downtown is because it is the best way to increase attendance (and it has a lot better chance of turning around a troubled neighborhood too).
Look at the top teams in the IL in attendance.

Charlotte: downtown stadium with views of the skyline
Durham: downtown stadium with views of Durham skyline
Indianapolis: downtown stadium built in 1996 led to an explosion in attendance
Columbus: downtown stadium in Arena district, close to where Blue Jackets (NHL) play
Buffalo: downtown stadium close to basketball arena
Toledo: downtown stadium replaced suburban park and led to explosion in attendance

Further, the number of people living in downtown Syracuse is exploding. It is over 3,600. Apartments downtown are at 99% occupancy and developer can't build apartments fast enough to keep up with demand.

These people have money and are looking for stuff to do. We know from all the studies the grid plan people quote that it will be easy as pie to drive downtown from outside, so the people from the burbs will have easy access too.

If only we had $50 million to spend on a new ballpark.

Camden Yards is empty today.

Maybe the Orioles being 30 games out is more important that the stadium being downtown?

Camden Yards is empty today.

Maybe the Orioles being 30 games out is more important that the stadium being downtown?
Its also monday and yes they’re 30 games out