Chilly reception for King Rice, coaching against UVA | Syracusefan.com

Chilly reception for King Rice, coaching against UVA

Is there anymore context to this? Just seems like he’s whining. You got paid to play there.

I sort of agree with Rice. I'm a bit embarrassed that there are Virginia fans who do that. Back in the 70s and 80s, my seats were on the floor of U Hall, and the only heckling done by those around me was directed at the refs!

I sort of agree with Rice. I'm a bit embarrassed that there are Virginia fans who do that. Back in the 70s and 80s, my seats were on the floor of U Hall, and the only heckling done by those around me was directed at the refs!
In the old University Hall days, there was one older woman who sat right on the baseline at the end of the court by our bench. She looked like the stereotypical grandmother you'd see on TV or in a movie. If she weighed 80 pounds that would be a lot. The ref on the baseline had to stand right in front of her. She was the best referee-baiter I have ever seen. She was all over them from the opening tip to the final buzzer. One time a new ref (possibly Rick Hartzell) was doing one of our games. Hank Nichols was also reffing the game and brought him over to introduce him to the woman.

Last edited:
i for one respect the heckle. It shows a sense of history. Most people these days don’t have any appreciation of what happened 5 years ago. This shows a true knowledge of history

i for one respect the heckle. It shows a sense of history. Most people these days don’t have any appreciation of what happened 5 years ago. This shows a true knowledge of history
What happened 5 years ago?

Oh, you ACC old timer. In the old Big East, you could be sure the visiting coaches were going to get an earful in every arena. It was one of the things that made the conference great.

Oh, you ACC old timer. In the old Big East, you could be sure the visiting coaches were going to get an earful in every arena. It was one of the things that made the conference great.
When I was in school we sat right behind the visitors bench. A couple coaches started moving their seats during TO's to midcourt because we were so loud. We were brutal, players and coaches alike. Used to tell players what our players did the night before with certain people they knew. Walk ons that never got to leave the bench bore the brunt. Personally was involved in getting a MAC head coach fined for flipping us off as he walked off the court at half time. I've matured.

I went to Golden Valley Basketball Camp in high school and King Rice came to give a motivational talk. They set up a one-on-one game between him and the best player at the camp. Rice got upset because we were cheering for our camp-mate and stopped the game when he airballed to yell at us. It was hilarious.

I went to Golden Valley Basketball Camp in high school and King Rice came to give a motivational talk. They set up a one-on-one game between him and the best player at the camp. Rice got upset because we were cheering for our camp-mate and stopped the game when he airballed to yell at us. It was hilarious.
King rice , right
More like Vassal rice

When I was in school we sat right behind the visitors bench. A couple coaches started moving their seats during TO's to midcourt because we were so loud. We were brutal, players and coaches alike. Used to tell players what our players did the night before with certain people they knew. Walk ons that never got to leave the bench bore the brunt. Personally was involved in getting a MAC head coach fined for flipping us off as he walked off the court at half time. I've matured.
If it is a bunch of undergraduates giving the opposing coach(es) a hard time, that is one thing. If it's a middle age season ticket holder, it is quite another. The latter is a bit embarrassing, IMO. I am fine with students being students, and all the peculiar behaviors that go along with such. I was there once myself! :)

In the old University Hall days, there was one older woman who sat right on the baseline at the end of the court by our bench. She looked like the stereotypical grandmother you'd see on TV or in a movie. If she weighed 80 pounds that would be a lot. The ref on the baseline had to stand right in front of her. She was the best referee-baiter I have ever seen. She was all over them from the opening tip to the final buzzer. One time a new ref (possibly Rick Hartzell) was doing one of our games. Hank Nichols was also reffing the game and brought him over to introduce him to the woman.
But could she knit?

But could she knit?
Too busy practicing her taunts of the refs. ;)

You could hear her plain as day. "HE'S HOLDING HIM!!!", was one of her constant plaints whenever Ralph Sampson would go up against Buck Williams of MD.

Rick Hartzell is famous in my family because of the time he lit up a heckling fan sitting next to us. This was a St. John's game at the Dome during a wicked lake effect squall in '98 or '99. There were maybe 4,000 people there and we were sitting front row behind SU's bench. The fan was doing the typical routine and Hartzell strode over to the sideline with a death stare and gave him some words.

No more chatter from that fan that night.

I'm no psychologist, but Rice was a disappointment as a player at UNC, as was the team during his time. I remember the UNC fans rode him pretty hard for it. He was OK (shoulda gone to SU - he's from Binghamton), but he wasn't Phil Ford, and never lived up to the hype.

I don't care who you are, it's gotta be tough living up to a name like "King". Shame on his momma - I would never do that to my son.

I'm no psychologist, but Rice was a disappointment as a player at UNC, as was the team during his time. I remember the UNC fans rode him pretty hard for it. He was OK (shoulda gone to SU - he's from Binghamton), but he wasn't Phil Ford, and never lived up to the hype.

I don't care who you are, it's gotta be tough living up to a name like "King". Shame on his momma - I would never do that to my son.
God Shammgod would like to have a word.

as long as the fans weren't saying anything bigoted(obviously) or really vulgar, then sounds like the dude might be a bit thin skinned. he's been head coach for 11 years, you would think he would be used to heckling

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom