Chris Bleich Update... | Syracusefan.com

Chris Bleich Update...

Are they removing his flu?

I kid. Hope he can recover. The physical toll of being an FBS offensive lineman can't be easy.

Chris is a very good olineman...we need him.
BUT if your in your early 20s...weighing over 300 lbs and playing college football(practices/workouts/games)
how much can we depend on him after these surgeries?
We've got Davis and Ellis and...? It's time to pound the portal.

BUT if your in your early 20s...weighing over 300 lbs and playing college football(practices/workouts/games)

Good question, but let's not be so quick to write him off.

The surgeries may actually CORRECT the problem, instead of him trying to play through an injury. Even though it entails an initial step backwards, it may be better long-term both for Chris and SU to just get the issue fixed.

repeat surgeries, on anything, are such a challenge for both docs and patients. Here's hoping for a full and damn near miraculous recovery. I LOVE his family and hope so bad things work out.

Agree great family, no doubt Chris can help us if he's able to stay healthy.

Prayers that this surgery goes well and gets him where he needs to be. Rest up, I'm sure spring ball is out of the question, hope he's healthy for camp this summer!

Agree great family, no doubt Chris can help us if he's able to stay healthy.

Prayers that this surgery goes well and gets him where he needs to be. Rest up, I'm sure spring ball is out of the question, hope he's healthy for camp this summer!

Yup awesome kid, awesome family.

Glad he’s one of our guys.

Really hope this surgery goes better than last years and he can get fully recovered. He probably would end up on an NFL Roster eventually if it wasn’t for his sustainability.

And Bergeron and Vett. But we still should hit the portal.

There are 8 redshirt sophs and freshmen who are candidates to step up to the two deep.

Assuming Bergeron comes back 7 of the 8 guys that rotated through are coming back, including 4 of the 5 best. Going into spring ball, again assuming, everyone returns health enough to play next September, the obvious position battle would be center, where two guys have experience.

i think the ingredients are in place already for the line to make another significant step up.

There are 8 redshirt sophs and freshmen who are candidates to step up to the two deep.

Assuming Bergeron comes back 7 of the 8 guys that rotated through are coming back, including 4 of the 5 best. Going into spring ball, again assuming, everyone returns health enough to play next September, the obvious position battle would be center, where two guys have experience.

i think the ingredients are in place already for the line to make another significant step up.

Just to add to that breakdown, another factor for optimism will be having consistent coaching [Schmidt] for a second straight year, I'd expect improvement to ensue.

The OL went from "worst ever" last year to serviceable this year, even with the massive injuries. With another year of solid coaching, I expect improvement. ESPECIALLY with the experienced nucleus you note returning.

Last edited:
Just to respond to some of the posts ...
So far as having several candidates in the bullpen to replace Bleich, what did we have to do THIS year?
Start the FRESHMAN Ellis. So how good are the others??
And Vetterelo? His knee injury in the VAtech game finished his season and he has struggled
at whatever OLINE position we have played him. How strong a candidate can he be in 2022?
We need to begin the season with the starting 5 plus a backup center, back up guard and backup tackle.
8 friggin no nonsense maulers. I'm done with putting our best 5 out there-training some to play 2 or 3 positions.The pros need to do that with 54 man roster. We've got 85 on scholarship. Let's develop/use most of them.

So far as having several candidates in the bullpen to replace Bleich, what did we have to do THIS year?
And Vetterelo? His knee injury in the VAtech game finished his season and he has struggled
at whatever OLINE position we have played him. How strong a candidate can he be in 2022?
We need to begin the season with the starting 5 plus a backup center, back up guard and backup tackle.
8 friggin no nonsense maulers. I'm done with putting our best 5 out there-training some to play 2 or 3 positions.The pros need to do that with 54 man roster. We've got 85 on scholarship. Let's develop/use most of them.
Vet was injured in the FSU game and did not return the rest of the season. I thought he played well at RT this season and would love to see him there to start 2022. Hoping Cruz, Red, Bradford and Barclay continue to develop and give Vet a run for PT. Worried if Vet had an ACL injury, he will not be 100% for the start of the season.

Really do not want to Tisdale out there at RT at the start of the season. Think he is better suited to OG. Pretty sure he was banged up but he did not play well at RT late in the season.

Good question, but let's not be so quick to write him off.

The surgeries may actually CORRECT the problem, instead of him trying to play through an injury. Even though it entails an initial step backwards, it may be better long-term both for Chris and SU to just get the issue fixed.

Agree, although being ready to go by preseason camp would seem risky. I say that not knowing the surgery, but there are two, so I assume it's not a minor issue.

Davis and Ellis can start out at guard. Hopefully Berg comes back. Get center, right tackle, and a few swiss army knife backups ready to go. Current roster, transfer portal (offered 3 tackles so far), whatever we need.

Agree, although being ready to go by preseason camp would seem risky. I say that not knowing the surgery, but there are two, so I assume it's not a minor issue.

Davis and Ellis can start out at guard. Hopefully Berg comes back. Get center, right tackle, and a few swiss army knife backups ready to go. Current roster, transfer portal (offered 3 tackles so far), whatever we need.

Have to think the coaching staff will be looking hard to find a portal OC, if one is out there.

We had to start the FRESHMAN Ellis because we were dealing with injuries to BOTH starting guards -- Bleich and Davis. But so what? Ellis has rare physical tools, and he accorded himself well. And next year, he'll be an experienced guy who started games.

My opinion only, but the issue with the OL all year was that we basically had 4 solid positions out of the 5. The trouble spot was always either RT or C, depending on where Servais played. Injuries obviously played a big role in why we had to shuffle guys around so much, but unlike last year we had the depth to at least partially compensate for that this year.

A big focus of this offseason has to be identifying who the fifth player is to step into the existing nucleus. We have experienced guys like Vet and Ialoa as center candidates. I have to assume that the staff will also explore portal transfers, if there's a starting caliber center out there. Or at tackle, a highly rated player like Cruz might ascend. Or JUCO transfer Bradford. Or perhaps Magnuson [who had a good season redshirting] emerges. Or maybe a transfer.

Would love to go into next season with 9 solid guys. We'll know we're where we need to be if players like Vett and Tisdale are relegated to the second unit.

Vett was fine. He’s not a stud like Bergeron but he’s better than you give him credit for. He wasn’t just versatile trying to cover for others injuries by playing 3 positions but he also graded better as a pass blocker than Bleich, Servais and Tisdale and a better run blocker than Davis, Ellis, Servais and Tisdale. Hopefully he recovers fully.

We had to start the FRESHMAN Ellis because we were dealing with injuries to BOTH starting guards -- Bleich and Davis. But so what? Ellis has rare physical tools, and he accorded himself well. And next year, he'll be an experienced guy who started games.

My opinion only, but the issue with the OL all year was that we basically had 4 solid positions out of the 5. The trouble spot was always either RT or C, depending on where Servais played. Injuries obviously played a big role in why we had to shuffle guys around so much, but unlike last year we had the depth to at least partially compensate for that this year.

A big focus of this offseason has to be identifying who the fifth player is to step into the existing nucleus. We have experienced guys like Vet and Ialoa as center candidates. I have to assume that the staff will also explore portal transfers, if there's a starting caliber center out there. Or at tackle, a highly rated player like Cruz might ascend. Or JUCO transfer Bradford. Or perhaps Magnuson [who had a good season redshirting] emerges. Or maybe a transfer.

Would love to go into next season with 9 solid guys. We'll know we're where we need to be if players like Vett and Tisdale are relegated to the second unit.

Yeah, agree. We had 4 spots who could hold up, but the 5th spot was killer, especially after Vett went down. I think he was ok at RT, clearly way better than Tisdale. Both are probably ideally backup guards, with Tisdale as emergency option.

I wish Vett could play center like he did in those last 3 games of 2019 when the line looked competent. That would really help.

I worry that being so aggressive with portal tackles means they may know that Bergeron is going to test the waters at the next level. But maybe it's just because they know they need multiple options to compete at RT.

In an ideal world, guys like Ellis and Cruz wouldn't play until their 3rd season. But I don't sweat that out with Ellis, he proved to be more ready than most true freshman OL.

The two freshmen who I wish had their reshirt years protected are Lockett and Gadsden, but such is life.

Not sure about having enough ingredients in place. My understanding is that the staff is looking pretty aggressively for OLs in the portal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom