Chris Carlson leaving the SU Sports Beat / Emily Leiker joins... | Syracusefan.com

Chris Carlson leaving the SU Sports Beat / Emily Leiker joins...

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

FVzfZuPWQAIbJHw

I certainly trust SU grads to report. But this is a big loss IMO. CC was a good sports writer. It's off season, but for a while there's been a distinct downward trend in the volume of SU reporting. I figured something was up. Hopefully S Dot Com will recover and the newbie will be half the SU reporter Chris was.

Edit: Good sign .. she's already stepping up. SU football adds Moultrie-Goddard as 4th commit in class of 2023

Last edited:
I certainly trust SU grads to report. But (no offense the cub) this is a big loss IMO. CC was a quality reporter and a good writer. I've noticed a distinct downward trend in the volume of SU reporting ... something was up. Hopefully S Dot Com will recover and get their priorities straight.
The moves to de emphasize coverage of Syracuse football continue. The powers that be almost completely ignored covering football recruiting for decades. This is a huge part of covering a football program.

Their web site went from little social interaction for SU sports to none. They fired writers that provided analysis and now we are with some kids with little experience, knowledge or writing skills.

We all know what the next step is. How sad.

Last edited:
I certainly trust SU grads to report. But (no offense the cub) this is a big loss IMO. CC was a quality reporter and a good writer. Given the distinct downward trend in the volume of SU reporting ...figured something was up. Hopefully S Dot Com will recover and get their priorities straight.
Hopefully she will be moving and based in Syracuse. They have moved pretty much else out including their printing. Seeing more and more ‘remote’ reporting nationally.

Hopefully she will be moving and based in Syracuse. They have moved pretty much else out including their printing. Seeing more and more ‘remote’ reporting nationally.
If that happens will there be anyone outside the Daily Orange covering the Syracuse sports beat locally?

If that happens will there be anyone outside the Daily Orange covering the Syracuse sports beat locally?
Mink and Bailey at All Day Everyday. And McAllister, if you want to subject yourself to that.

10 years ago we laughed at the concept of website reporters trying to compete with the post standard veterans.

We have now reached a point where the online reporters are the trusted vets. I think Bailey is still the best of the bunch.

Where have you gone Dave Rhame and Donnie Webb.

That’s a weird way to introduce yourself to Syracuse.
Agree. I get the joke - Mizzou has a very highly regarded jounalism/media school like Syracuse. But I think Emily forgot that her audience has changed and that was a better joke for her old audience. And I'm usually someone who just ignores stuff like that as being blown out of proportion.

That being said, nothing she can't recover from if she does a good job.

Last edited:
Everyone come on - it was a bad joke with a kid showing love for her alma mater while recognizing the greatness of Newhouse. If we are that insecure ...

Yeah, this is a wild thread. I’m actually surprised they got someone from Mizzou journalism school for this role.

She has great internships and had a gig at the school paper covering the football team.

She has been tweeting already about Cuse football.