Classy move by Gregg Marshall | Syracusefan.com

Classy move by Gregg Marshall

Wichita State releases 4-star recruit to play for his HS coach Penny Hardaway at rival Memphis

Releases a 4 star recruit from his commit so the kid can play for his former high school coach who is now head coach at a conference rival.
The alternative was that he’d immediately transfer to Memphis, never enroll at Wichita and sit out one year. Since he’d never even participate in a Wichita practice there’s no way that they could keep him from going to Memphis.

While Gregg did the right thing, he knew that he couldn’t stop the kid and would only look bad trying to do so. It still sucks for him as he’s down a great recruit.

The alternative was that he’d immediately transfer to Memphis, never enroll at Wichita and sit out one year. Since he’d never even participate in a Wichita practice there’s no way that they could keep him from going to Memphis.

While Gregg did the right thing, he knew that he couldn’t stop the kid and would only look bad trying to do so. It still sucks for him as he’s down a great recruit.
He could have forced the kid to sit out for a year (or 2 since it's an in conference transfer?) I suspect there are some dick coaches who might try to do that and force the kid to go direct to the NBA. "If I can't have him nobody can" mentality.

I'm very interested to see how Gregg Marshall does in the Big East going forward. I think he's a very good coach but the Big East is good enough that there will always be teams in conference that can challenge and beat his teams.

I'm very interested to see how Gregg Marshall does in the Big East going forward. I think he's a very good coach but the Big East is good enough that there will always be teams in conference that can challenge and beat his teams.
Is Marshall going to the Big East or is Wichita St leaving the American Conference?

I'm fuzzy on this and will defer to others but didn't something similar like this happen with Jason Hart and we basically said, "sorry, you're coming here."
Harrick tampered with him when he didn't land the PGs he was recruiting. Jimmy said FU to the cheater.

:confused:

my main beef with marshall always was about his soft scheduling and then crying nobody will play him . he refused to give kansas a 2/1 becuz he somehow thought their program ate at the same table. no greg. they're kansas. moving conferences and playing real teams may at least get the shockers of my list. and give us a better gauge as to the true quality of the program. good move.

Wow, I remember the story, but I don't think I've ever seen this quote: "We can always play a two-guard offense, but we'd have to play a little slower and we wouldn't be able to run as much."

Not sure how much of that is putting a good spin on the situation, but that would've been a sight to behold with Cipolla and Janulis in the starting lineup. Or maybe this would've been Rock Lloyd's chance to run an offense. Jason Hart might have actually been the guy who prevented SU from only winning 10 games. 19-13 was awful, but the lineup without him would've been historically bad.

I'm fuzzy on this and will defer to others but didn't something similar like this happen with Jason Hart and we basically said, "sorry, you're coming here."

Jason Hart's brother had a kidney condition, and at the 11th hour Hart got cold feet and wanted to stay on the west coast to be closer to his dying brother. UCLA got involved and tried to pitch him on the idea of playing there, after he'd already signed his LOI. It was clear tampering from their scumbag of a coach, Jim Harrick, who came to be recognized as a blatant cheater for the crap he pulled at numerous schools.

Given Harrick's involvement, SU stood firm. It didn't really have anything to do with a coach leaving, or a coach going somewhere that he wanted to go like this situation.

Jason Hart's brother had a kidney condition, and at the 11th hour Hart got cold feet and wanted to stay on the west coast to be closer to his dying brother. UCLA got involved and tried to pitch him on the idea of playing there, after he'd already signed his LOI. It was clear tampering from their scumbag of a coach, Jim Harrick, who came to be recognized as a blatant cheater for the crap he pulled at numerous schools.

Given Harrick's involvement, SU stood firm. It didn't really have anything to do with a coach leaving, or a coach going somewhere that he wanted to go like this situation.

Harrick is probably a first ballot guy for the Shady Hall of Fame.

Harrick tampered with him when he didn't land the PGs he was recruiting. Jimmy said FU to the cheater.
There is more to it than that. Jason had a close relative that became very sick that he wanted to be close to.

You're ALIVE!!

There is more to it than that. Jason had a close relative that became very sick that he wanted to be close to.
From what I remember (and this is a long time ago of course), he knew of the condition before he signed and assured JB it wasn't an issue. He only said it was a problem after UCLA went after him.

my main beef with marshall always was about his soft scheduling and then crying nobody will play him . he refused to give kansas a 2/1 becuz he somehow thought their program ate at the same table. no greg. they're kansas. moving conferences and playing real teams may at least get the shockers of my list. and give us a better gauge as to the true quality of the program. good move.

He could have used some more of the Pat Hill motto from Fresno St. football, which was anytime anywhere

I'm with Marshall on that one. Would it kill KU or other P5 teams to do a home and home once a century? NC State buying out Loyola this year was as bad as it gets. Yet if LUC didn't win their conference tourney they probably wouldn't have made the dance.

the year they went 33-0 (2014) before losing to Kentucky their SOS was 95. they played 3 top 50 teams all year and got rewarded with a #1 seed.
they have cleaned up their act a bit and i applaud this. but they still ain't kansas. if your league is crap you should take whatever quality shot you get .

I'm with Marshall on that one. Would it kill KU or other P5 teams to do a home and home once a century? NC State buying out Loyola this year was as bad as it gets. Yet if LUC didn't win their conference tourney they probably wouldn't have made the dance.
What's in it for KU to do that?
WS's home floor is akin to what Allen field house is for KU. Everything about this scenario favors WS. They would have nothing to lose with a home and home with KU.

it was a pride thing. they'd rather play jack rabbit state than go 2 for 1 with the jayhawks who already have their hands full scheduling wise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom