Clayton White New DC? | Syracusefan.com

Clayton White New DC?

From that profile, I'll look to hear the write-up about the pass defense statistics.

On paper not happy. Was hoping for an attacking D. WKU was 7th last year in conference games for sacks and also 7th in TOs. Good news 2nd in ypp, 1st 3rd down, 2nd in red zone TD. What Navy did with inferior talent in a stronger conference was much more impressive. Disappointing to go from an attacking D to an unknown. BTW why isn’t NC State trying to hire this guy?

Clayton White was DBs coach at Stanford for three years, including the one year when Shafer was Stanford's DC.

On paper not happy. Was hoping for an attacking D. WKU was 7th last year in conference games for sacks and also 7th in TOs. Good news 2nd in ypp, 1st 3rd down, 2nd in red zone TD. What Navy did with inferior talent in a stronger conference was much more impressive. Disappointing to go from an attacking D to an unknown. BTW why isn’t NC State trying to hire this guy?
He coached there before

He has coached some strong secondaries

Not sure how he is as a recruiter

Looks to have a lot of ties to N Carolina and Virginia, could help out with that area

Keeping stanard as Co-DC is a joke. I feel like I’m going to have to show his DC history again as a 90-100+ in the country statistical coach. This may end up being a massive error for DB. This guy has never coached an even marginal defense at any point when he was a DC. I haven’t been against a coaching hire as much since Shafer.

*** if true. However I’ve been inferring Stanard would be retained for awhile.

He coached there before

He has coached some strong secondaries

Not sure how he is as a recruiter

Looks to have a lot of ties to N Carolina and Virginia, could help out with that area
Here is a write up on candidates for the open NC State DC position. It includes an evaluation of Clayton.

Last edited:
Could be coincidence but maybe this is why we were going after the DE/DT WKU commit.

Not going to say anything regarding this until whoever they hired is confirmed. All I'm going to say is that whoever it is that they hire(d), Dino Babers and whoever his brain trust/confidants are had better get it right because there is a lot riding on him getting it right. When they are done with the defense, then find someone capable to run the offense. Go Orange!!!!

Western Kentucky plays Western Michigan in a bowl game on 12/30, so we'll get to see what this guy can do.

Could be coincidence but maybe this is why we were going after the DE/DT WKU commit.

Either we’re going after that commit because we hired this coach, or the rumor mill site writers saw us going after this kid and made up a plausible rumor.

Texan Mark’s hearing that we hired a DC makes me believe it’s the former.

If we’re keeping Stanard and going with this guy, I could be convinced. I know everyone wants an “attacking guy” but even this year we finished in the middle of the conference in sacks. Our DL has been ok.

I’m wanting the LB and S play to get better - mostly on bad angles and slow reads.

Can't follow a Twitter trail because he has his account private.

Just doesn't seem like a hire that Dino would target and Wildhack would go for unless there was some dollar constraint which there could well be. Seems out of left field so to speak. We will see I guess.

If we’re keeping Stanard and going with this guy, I could be convinced. I know everyone wants an “attacking guy” but even this year we finished in the middle of the conference in sacks. Our DL has been ok.

I’m wanting the LB and S play to get better - mostly on bad angles and slow reads.

Stanard has as bad, maybe worse, defensive statistics than Ward did as a DC in two different situations. Not sure how you could be convinced this makes sense, if true.