Cleveland Dumps GM Just Before Draft | Syracusefan.com

Cleveland Dumps GM Just Before Draft

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
Supposedly due to differences in vision between GM Griffen and Owner. Supposedly Griffen thinks lebron is going to leave again and wants to prepare. Owner wants to go all in for this year.

How hilarious would it be if the Cavs lose to the warriors again next year in the final and then Lebron leaves Cleveland and joins, the Warriors, taking minimal dollars to exceed Jordan in rings?

How hilarious would it be if the Cavs lose to the warriors again next year in the final and then Lebron leaves Cleveland and joins, the Warriors, taking minimal dollars to exceed Jordan in rings?

Serious question - would the Warriors want him?

They are crushing it as is. Would Lebron agree to being an equal member of an ensemble instead of the main man who makes all the decisions for a team including personnel? Would he tilt the team concept that GS has and is a big part of what makes them great?

On the other hand, they added KD and won, so maybe Lebron can do it too.

And Chauncey Billups might be next in line. He's best friends with Tyronn Lue, fwiw.

Supposedly due to differences in vision between GM Griffen and Owner. Supposedly Griffen thinks lebron is going to leave again and wants to prepare. Owner wants to go all in for this year.

If he leaves, it's probably for LA.

0.0 chance he would ever go near GS other than to the same state to the Lakers or Clips. Odd that there are reports that Griffen was trying to prepare for the future when it appears he was working until his last hours on nabbing Jimmy B or PG. I guess Butler is a longer term option than PG as he could at least combine with Kyrie to still have a playoff team if Lebron bolts next year. I'm definitely loving all this stuff, for some reason I love player transactions and the draft and roster turnover more than I do actual games.

Serious question - would the Warriors want him?

They are crushing it as is. Would Lebron agree to being an equal member of an ensemble instead of the main man who makes all the decisions for a team including personnel? Would he tilt the team concept that GS has and is a big part of what makes them great?

On the other hand, they added KD and won, so maybe Lebron can do it too.

Would the warriors want Lebron James? I'm gonna go with yes

I apologize upfront for my morning grumpiness, not a good night's sleep, Lebanese food did a job on me last night, too (but it was so, so good!). But the NBA and LeBron in particular are two of my top interests and passions, and we have two threads on this topic competing against each other and a third thread about a big NBA trade rumor.

I applaud the moderators and think they are Presidential Medal of Freedom-worthy, but, in a more-perfect world, it'd be great to have these conflicting threads somehow not competing with each other.

My approach has been if it's an NBA topic and doesn't involve Carmelo or Dion or Jerami Grant, et al., the spot for the thread is the Other Sports forum. Lends to uniformity and consistency.

Having said all this, Gilbert is a filthy rich a-hole who does not like to pay for gm's and is lucky LeBron grew up in Akron. Otherwise, Cavs are a lottery team every year, like they were before the wunderkind homey joined the team and like they were for the four years he was in South Beach and like they will be again once LeBron either leaves for LA or retires.

Last edited:
If the Lakers get Ball and Paul George this off season, I can see LeBron leaving Cleveland after next season when he's again a free agent to join the Lakers. He moves to wherever he thinks the cast gives him the best chance for a ring. That's one of the reasons IMO Jordan is far superior. He made where he was the best team.

I apologize upfront for my morning grumpiness, not a good night's sleep, Lebanese food did a job on me last night, too (but it was so, so good!). But the NBA and LeBron in particular are two of my top interests and passions, and we have two threads on this topic competing against each other and a third thread about a big NBA trade rumor.

I applaud the moderators and think they are Presidential Medal of Freedom-worthy, but, in a more-perfect world, it'd be great to have these conflicting threads somehow not competing with each other.

My approach has been if it's an NBA topic and doesn't involve Carmelo or Dion or Jerami Grant, et al., the spot for the thread is the Other Sports forum. Lends to uniformity and consistency.

Having said all this, Gilbert is a filthy rich a-hole who does not like to pay for gm's and is luck LeBron grew up in Akron. Otherwise, Cavs are a lottery team every year, like they were before the wunderkind homey joined the team and like they were for the four years he was in South Beach and like they will be again once LeBron either leaves for LA or retires.

Solid as always. Gilbert just doesn't want to embrace the future. Cavs are a basketball graveyard without LBJ. Any pre-Millenial has NO idea about those awesome Cavs teams with Price, Nance, Daugherty, etc. Basketball will be dead in this area if they don't build for the future through the draft properly.

Speaking of Lebanese...Had one of the best ever in Dallas (Richardson) a few weeks ago. Buffet actually ($12 all you can eat lunch). Open kitchen, massive selection, fresh and constant turnover, brick oven. Old school.

I said this in the thread on the OT board. Dan Gilbert is Daniel Snyder with a championship.

The guy knows business but he is needy hands on owner and he is driving his premier player again.

Sucks for northeast Ohio .

Would the warriors want Lebron James? I'm gonna go with yes

Hell, no. They already have three great shooters, and there's still only one ball. Bringing such a "me" guy into that mix would be a profound disaster. And let's remember for all their great talent, the Knicks of Frazier/Monroe/DeBusschere/Lucas/Reed/Bradley - HOFers all, I believe(?) - still won only once.

Last edited:
Hell, no. They already have three great shooters, and there's still only one ball. Bringing such a "me" guy into that mix would be a profound disaster. And let's remember for all their great talent, the Knicks of Frazier/Monroe/DeBusschere/Lucas/Reed/Bradley - HOFers all, I believe(?) - still won only once.

They just don't need him. This "ME" guy is one of the best passers the league has ever seen from any position. No question in my mind they could integrate it and make it work but they don't need him. They're already fantastic.

Lol. Okay.

If the Lakers get Ball and Paul George this off season, I can see LeBron leaving Cleveland after next season when he's again a free agent to join the Lakers. He moves to wherever he thinks the cast gives him the best chance for a ring. That's one of the reasons IMO Jordan is far superior. He made where he was the best team.

Far superior? Because LeBron could maybe leave to go to LA? Because he wants the best possible team to win a championship? Please.

Jordan left his team for a year and a half. They were still in the ECSemi's the year he was gone. Remember when LBJ left Cleveland? One of the worst teams in NBA history. Both guys make their teams a top team in their respective eras. Who cares where that is.

Far superior? Because LeBron could maybe leave to go to LA? Because he wants the best possible team to win a championship? Please.

Jordan left his team for a year and a half. They were still in the ECSemi's the year he was gone. Remember when LBJ left Cleveland? One of the worst teams in NBA history. Both guys make their teams a top team in their respective eras. Who cares where that is.
And the talent that makes the NBA a powerful, growing global brand has more say in their lives, more power than when Jordan was playing -- and they should.

Jordan, as great as he was, had the good fortune of always having a strong supporting cast, as well as a young company, Nike, that ratcheted up the MJ aura -- i.e., Spike Lee ads, Mars Blackmon.

LA also makes sense because LeBron has a home there, his future's there off the court in TV and film production, more power to him and all other players.

LeBron owes Cleveland nothing IMO. They had a chance to give him a championship team and never could. He was always carrying a team of misfits deeper into the playoffs than you'd think he could. He went elsewhere, won and was nice enough to come back to Cleveland where he has brought them to 3 straight finals and won a championship. He didn't have to do that. If he wants to go to LA good for him.

I don't have an issue with people saying Jordan is the GOAT but when they try to act like LeBron isn't even in the conversation I just don't get it.

LeBron owes Cleveland nothing IMO. They had a chance to give him a championship team and never could. He was always carrying a team of misfits deeper into the playoffs than you'd think he could. He went elsewhere, won and was nice enough to come back to Cleveland where he has brought them to 3 straight finals and won a championship. He didn't have to do that. If he wants to go to LA good for him.

I don't have an issue with people saying Jordan is the GOAT but when they try to act like LeBron isn't even in the conversation I just don't get it.

I hate that those are the only two players people talk about when they do these cross-era arguments. Like...what happened to Kareem? We just decided these guys passed him because he's older and played longer ago? Or he didn't do enough cool commercials and trick dunks to be on the radar anymore?

Yes, Jordan's Bulls teams were a lot better than Lebron's first run of Cleveland teams. That's why the Bulls won 3 straight titles, and the Cavs just made one finals.

I think it's also a fair point to make that the East that the Bulls were trying to win was a lot tougher than the East that the Cavs /Heat have been trying to win.

Yes, Jordan's Bulls teams were a lot better than Lebron's first run of Cleveland teams. That's why the Bulls won 3 straight titles, and the Cavs just made one finals.

I think it's also a fair point to make that the East that the Bulls were trying to win was a lot tougher than the East that the Cavs /Heat have been trying to win.

During the Bulls title runs I don't think they went against a team like the Heat did, that Celtics team was really good.

Let's not forget MJ not getting passed the first round until year 4. Lebron carried a team of me and yous to a finals. I guess I'm forgetting the HOF player Lebron had on his early cavaliers teams... was it Mo Williams?

During the Bulls title runs I don't think they went against a team like the Heat did, that Celtics team was really good.

Detroit in '91 was coming off back to back titles.

The Knicks in '93 were really good. Pushed the Bulls and would've had a great chance to win it all of they got by Chicago. They had other good teams in that era, but '93 was their best IMO.

Orlando in '95 and '96 with Shaq and Penny. Indiana had some teams too, they were really good in '98.

Detroit in '91 was coming off back to back titles.

The Knicks in '93 were really good. Pushed the Bulls and would've had a great chance to win it all of they got by Chicago. They had other good teams in that era, but '93 was their best IMO.

Orlando in '95 and '96 with Shaq and Penny. Indiana had some teams too, they were really good in '98.

Any of them have 3 hall of famers who weren't completely old and a Rondo?

Let's not forget MJ not getting passed the first round until year 4. Lebron carried a team of me and yous to a finals. I guess I'm forgetting the HOF player Lebron had on his early cavaliers teams... was it Mo Williams?

Let's not forget they lost to '87 Boston and '88 Detroit. Those teams would've worked all of Bron's early Cavs teams too.

Any of them have 3 hall of famers who weren't completely old and a Rondo?

Detroit had 3 hall of famers, and many very good role players.

I think Orlando had the most talented team of any of them. Not 3 hall of famers...but a tier 1 hall of famer in Shaq, and being real...Penny in the mid 90s was a better player than Pierce or Allen ever were. Throw in Horace Grant, Nick Anderson, Dennis Scott...they were loaded, just young.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom