climatologist resigns

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by tipphill, Jan 7, 2017.

1. tipphill

tipphill Starter

kudos to judith curry a climatologist from georgia tech that has resigned. she has spoken her mind, and has pointed out that the politics of universities is no different than anything else. very straight forward commentary by her stating her reasoning. technically this is a retirement --she has spoken out about the facade of universities, and their biases. makes a very good intelligent read. you have to dig through a few articles to get the full picture of what she has said. does not appear to take an extremist position either way. actually speaks as a scientist. exposes the fraud of academic freedom, it only exists for some

2. orangehipfan

orangehipfan Starter

Georgia Tech Climatologist Chooses 'Career Suicide' to Keep Her 'Scientific Integrity'

attached is an article on the subject and she discusses the mindset driven by political views rather than science.

3. CousCuse

CousCuse Voice Of Reason

Climate change is a scam to create a global tax on energy to fund a global bureaucracy. There has always been wide variations of earths climates and it is changing now, but the amount that humans effect that is inconsequential, per professor Curry.

TexanMark and PeteCalvin like this.
  4. Brooky03

Brooky03 All American

So she couldn't handle others disagreeing with her opinion and decided to quit.

dasher, xc84 and NKR1978 like this.
  5. Capt. Tuttle

Capt. Tuttle Living Legend

Yeah, that's it.

tipphill likes this.
  6. Brooky03

Brooky03 All American

Thought so

7. AZOrange

AZOrange Living Legend

That's what Professor Curry believes?

NKR1978 likes this.
  8. CousCuse

CousCuse Voice Of Reason

She said that 98% of scientist believe human actions have some impact on climate change. There is however, a wide divergence of opinion as to the extent and impact of the human action as a factor in climate change and her research led her to believe it was negligible. Because of her research and findings, she has become a pariah ( probably global) in the climate change science community.

9. AZOrange

AZOrange Living Legend

She testified before Congress two years ago that humans are influencing climate change. She disagrees with the certainty of the consensus on the degree and their approach to modeling and opposition. But I've never heard her say it's negligible.

Cowtown likes this.
  10. senorpalmer

senorpalmer All Conference

You're wasting your time

11. CousCuse

CousCuse Voice Of Reason

Tucker Carlson interviewed her on air the other day and that is what she said. I'm sure it is archived. And yes, I do like Tucker Carlson.

12. senorpalmer

Color me shocked

13. orangehipfan

orangehipfan Starter

is it climate change or global warming as the name appears to change to meet the agenda. I believe 47 of the lower 48 states have some snow cover today. That doesn't sound like global warming and as far as I know the climate has been in constant change over the last 4.5 billion years the planet has existed.

14. CousCuse

CousCuse Voice Of Reason

I am just relaying what Professor Curry said. She is a high level scientist. If you want to wage some politically ideological campaign to destroy her and her reputation, go ahead.

15. senorpalmer

Hey look snow! Therefore climate change isn't happening.

16. orangehipfan

orangehipfan Starter

scientific response, we are all set it is settled. what did happen to global warming or global cooling in the 70's.

17. JoeSU

JoeSU All Conference

Says Curry: "Technically, my resignation is a retirement event, since I am on the Georgia State Teachers Retirement System, and I need to retire from Georgia Tech to get my pension (although I am a few years shy of 65). I have requested Emeritus status. So, I have retired from Georgia Tech, and I have no intention of seeking another academic or administrative position in a university or government agency. However, I most certainly am not retiring from professional life."

Curry

It will be interesting to see where she ends-up.

18. HOFCeluck

HOFCeluck Living Legend

So why is THIS the scientist you chose to listen to?

I mean I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I just want your take.

19. CousCuse

CousCuse Voice Of Reason

Science has documented enormous variations in earths climate such as the last ice age where miles thick continental glaciers covered the northern hemisphere, about 10,000 years ago. None of these huge swings in climate were caused by humans. This seems like a convenient way to create a tax system to have a global government.

20. Cowtown

Cowtown Adult Study Hall Overseer

You can't even sort out 'effect' from 'affect,' and yet you expect to thought of as credible on something as complex as climate change? And, "a global bureaucracy?" ROTF!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    br801, CuseFaninVT and Cuseregular like this.
  21. Cowtown

Oh man, that's priceless! Thanks for the belly laugh! You remind me of that dolt over on the old Syracuse.com board who proudly proclaimed, "The climate is always changing. It's called "seasons!" And yes, he was serious.

22. AZOrange

AZOrange Living Legend

This sound byte comes out a lot and it has to be one of the most facially dumb things I've ever heard. The majority of people who believe in climate change are trying to create a taxation system to create a global government. How's that working out for them exactly? Have you seen the world recently in terms of government?

Read about Larsen shelf C. If that doesn't scare the crap out of people I don't think anything will.

23. Cowtown

I've always been an advocate for scientific research. And it's certainly better to spend tax dollars studying the planet than trying to blow it up with atomic weapons, ICBMs, fleets of stealth bombers, nuclear subs, tanks, etc. This is a remarkable opportunity to study an event that, while we know something like it must have happened it the past, there is little data to indicate what its impact was. It would be a terrible loss if something as facile as global conspiracy buffoonery were to cause it to not happen.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  24. CousCuse

CousCuse Voice Of Reason

Having made this statement, you will now proceed to demonize and blackball Professor Curry.

25. Cowtown

Why would you think that? Dissent is one of the engines that drives inquiry. She's as entitled to her interpretation/position as any other legitimate scientist, and just as open to peer review and questioning. Nothing is obtained by marching in lockstep with the party position. New knowledge comes from the exchange of ideas, especially between those who are capable of original thought and/or effecting scientific method to prove or disprove theories.

Enjoy your darkness.

JoeSU, CuseFaninVT and Cuseregular like this.