Clock management | Syracusefan.com

Clock management

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
I think this is a thing in general in college ball, but very obvious tonight. These coaches / staffs are horrid with clock management. There were several times tonight when we were well within FG range that we snapped the ball with TON of time on the play clock. Why ?

1. You can kick the Fg and essentially run the clock out

2. You aren’t likely to get it back anyway if you don’t score

For example. Why on earth snap the ball with 20 secs on the play clock here ?

Attachments

• 32A803A4-BCDD-4714-AA96-A85C53763B17.jpeg
    32A803A4-BCDD-4714-AA96-A85C53763B17.jpeg
    344.7 KB · Views: 67
Not even sure if this was the play from the screenshot but after the Bergeron false start, the clock runs again. It was almost a cheat code for winning the game because we were in FG range and essentially got two play clocks for one down and then we almost run up to the line to snap it with over 20.

Isn’t anyone in the media smart enough to ask this question? It wasn’t just this game either. And once you were in FG range, why drop back to pass? Run the freaking ball and force the use of timeouts. I get that a TD would force them to go the length of the field but the FG with no time left is even better.

I think this is a thing in general in college ball, but very obvious tonight. These coaches / staffs are horrid with clock management. There were several times tonight when we were well within FG range that we snapped the ball with TON of time on the play clock. Why ?

Inwas screaming about it in the stands. There 5 similar instances of that.

3:34 mark
Next play after that
2:25
1:44
1:32

Whether its Dino or Anae that was a horrific job

So maybe the questions are: Sharader just called for the snap too early or Anae wanted a regular flow on offense?

So maybe the questions are: Sharader just called for the snap too early or Anae wanted a regular flow on offense?
Regular flow on offense excuse stinks of the Bengals coach excuse as to why they snapped the ball so early on their OT punt vs Pitt.

they were trying to win the game with a TD and not trusting a fg I suspect.

If we were going to go FG the whole time which it seemed I was confused by why we were snapping the ball early and why we were throwing the ball and have incomplete passes which stopped the clock. I'll take the win but I was scratching my head quite a few times.

Last edited:
Orange alum Rob Carpenter also not impressed with our clock management.

It was dreadful

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom