CNNSI's Staples rates our ACC move a "B" | Syracusefan.com

CNNSI's Staples rates our ACC move a "B"

jr4750

All American
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...lignment-report-card/?sct=hp_t11_a2&eref=sihp

Syracuse

Old league: Big East
New league: ACC
Grade: B

The Orange could wind up being critical for the ACC for reasons beyond the ones that made them an expansion target. When the conference nabbed Syracuse in 2011, the school offered a name-brand athletic program of interest to a big television market. But the ACC might cash in more depending on just how interested that big market is in Syracuse. If you've visited New York City in the past year, you've probably seen a Syracuse athletics ad atop a taxi. The gist of the ad is that Syracuse is New York's team.
In the Big Ten, they're hoping Rutgers is New York's team. The truth is that New York doesn't have a team. If anything, New York's team is Penn State or Michigan or another of several jumbo-sized state schools that sends lots graduates into jobs in finance and media. But it only matters if cable carriers believe Syracuse is New York's team. If they do, then an ACC network becomes much more feasible -- provided that the ACC and ESPN can extricate themselves from a long sublicense agreement with Raycom that would eat into the inventory too much to make a network possible. If the New York market is on board, the money might be right to make all sides happy. If not, a network becomes a tougher sell.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130611/conference-realignment-report-card/#ixzz2VvK97KQf

As we have noted, NYC has become the battleground for ACC and B1G. Lots of eyeballs will be watching to see how SU does. The B1G has loaded their Eastern group to get as many of their top teams as possible in front of the NYC/NJ market. They have picked up the Pinstripe. SU has committed to MetLife. The ACC is going to want to do anything they can to get both feet firmly on the ground in that market...supporting SU's efforts, and possibly even the BBall tournament. The ACC is going to have to try to get ND and Duke and UNC in Manhattan and even Louvull when the time comes. I don't see as adding anything. But if they have any hope at all, they too will pull out all stops to demonstrate their value in the metro area.

So glad TGD was ahead of the curve on this one. SU need to keep working the NYs college team as hard as possible.

My orange colored glasses rate this move as a Solid Gold A+

The "B1G" fight in NYC will come down to whether either of these channels get installed on the "basic" cable package. The ACC network's association with ESPN (and strong East Coast bias) gives them the inside track.

Unfortunately, the B1G/YES merger certainly makes a case for them as well. However, an aging core of players along with indifferent ownership (Steinbrenner Jr.'s) have the Yankees sliding into an "end of an era" dead period (a-la the 80's). If the Yankees do slide, I can see NYC sportsfans not wanting to add YES to their basic cable packages.

My orange colored glasses rate this move as a Solid Gold A+

The "B1G" fight in NYC will come down to whether either of these channels get installed on the "basic" cable package. The ACC network's association with ESPN (and strong East Coast bias) gives them the inside track.

Unfortunately, the B1G/YES merger certainly makes a case for them as well. However, an aging core of players along with indifferent ownership (Steinbrenner Jr.'s) have the Yankees sliding into an "end of an era" dead period (a-la the 80's). If the Yankees do slide, I can see NYC sportsfans not wanting to add YES to their basic cable packages.

According to Mike Francesa, the YES network ratings for Yankees' games are way down this season.

At the time people mocked the NYC push, but the good doctor had some impressive vision on that one.

TGD is having himself quite a day today.

If The ACC really wants to take another step forward in locking down NYC area college fans, they need to bring in UConn and call it a day! I know there's a ton of people on this board who think Cuse fans own the Garden but reality is, UConn brings in about the same, if not more fans than SU does.

As a fan living in NJ, I rate the move a B- and I'm worried that the good old boys will keep the champ games and tournaments well below the mason Dixon.

Ive seen nothing to suggest that Uconn brings more fans to MSG than Syracuse. They may be somewhat close to what SU brings, but certainly, not more. They cant even sell out their small arena.

At the time people mocked the NYC push, but the good doctor had some impressive vision on that one.
VERY impressive. You could make the case it got us in the ACC. There are a lot of people on here that should be apologizing to Gross.

VERY impressive. You could make the case it got us in the ACC. There are a lot of people on here that should be apologizing to Gross.

He really was the right man for the job.