Coach’s Son | Syracusefan.com

Coach’s Son

Finwad32

Hall of Fame
I really enjoyed watching Buddy have a day today. I really enjoyed watching the whole team have a day. And I could write a glowing post about every player on the team today, but this one’s for buddy.

I feel like being the coach’s son is difficult. You’re not always judged solely on your own merits like the rest of your teammates. There’s extra scrutiny, criticism and nepotism claims when you’re not yanked for a turnover.

Now don’t get me wrong, some of the criticism is absolutely warranted. As a shooter, he’s gotten cold at times, he can also lose a ball in a tie up and get stripped. He’s not the fleetest of foot and he can struggle against more athletic defenders.

But Buddy is a solid basketball player. And he deserves that credit with or without the last name on his back. He’s worked hard, and volume shooter or not, has probably been our most reliable scorer. He deserves credit too (and he’s been given credit - I’m not calling anyone out).

I’m also the son of a coach. And from my own experience, it was much more difficult when I played for him than when I was at camps, summer leagues or playing on teams he didn’t coach.

You don’t have to deal with any of the bs. If you go cold, there’s not people saying you don’t deserve the spot and you’re only playing bc your the coaches son.

You go home with the coach, the coach calls you, the coach is harder on you than any of your teammates most times and there’s no shutting it off because that’s your father. Maybe my experience was unique, but it was true.

I like watching this team, lot of kids that are easy to cheer for. And Buddy’s one of them for me. Hope he stays hot, and hope the team continues to hit their stride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom