Coach and recruiting | Syracusefan.com

Coach and recruiting

Cuse44

Walk On
We’re all a little disappointed in recruiting the last 5+ yrs and blaming Coach for lack of energy, effort etc but if the next HC is on the staff wouldn’t they say something along the lines of ‘come play for HOF JB and then me in a yr or two’. If so that doesn’t bode well for post JB if next coach isn’t attracting better talent. If Red and Gerry aren’t connecting with the best talent after telling them they are next so don’t worry then I’m worried when it IS them.

I’m big fans of both but is this a case of asking for the backup QB only to see reality set in.

Hopkins on the other hand was a dynamic recruiter. Bring him back the energy returns immediately

Not to thread jack, but Hop’s contribution was clearly a lot bigger than any of us realized at the time. Not just recruiting, but serving as the ‘good cop’ to JB’s ‘bad cop’, and I have to assume he was doing something in practices to develop guys that we just haven’t seen much since he left.

Not to thread jack, but Hop’s contribution was clearly a lot bigger than any of us realized at the time. Not just recruiting, but serving as the ‘good cop’ to JB’s ‘bad cop’, and I have to assume he was doing something in practices to develop guys that we just haven’t seen much since he left.
He ran the practices.

Red runs them now for the most part - doesn’t mean he brings Hops energy and charisma. We need more energy post JB IMO

When JB said there is an ironclad plan, I said class of 23 recruiting cycle will be a telltale sign of how good that iron clad plan sounds.
Staff is batting about 0 for 12 this recruiting cycle. Either there is no plan, and JB lied or no recruit worth their salt is signing up for it.

Yeah, I’m just not sure we can judge the current assistants and their recruiting abilities after hearing that JB won’t text/stay in contact with the best recruits. All the work Red and the others are doing could actually get ruined if JB doesn’t live up to the closer role big time schools need these days.

I want someone with no connections to the program. Maybe Jason Hart but we can go back to a Syracuse guy if the first JB replacement fails.

I think Nate Oats needs to be given whatever he wants. We need talent.

When JB said there is an ironclad plan, I said class of 23 recruiting cycle will be a telltale sign of how good that iron clad plan sounds.
Staff is batting about 0 for 12 this recruiting cycle. Either there is no plan, and JB lied or no recruit worth their salt is signing up for it.
JB was asked on a later show what the ironclad plan is after he mentioned it. He answer by saying the plan is the same one since he turned 50.

JB was asked on a later show what the ironclad plan is after he mentioned it. He answer by saying the plan is the same one since he turned 50.
Ooooof.
A double top secret plan doesn’t seem to be an effective strategy.
And how is it being kept secret after it’s revealed to high schoolers and their parents? They have to sign an NDA?

Wait, what? Same plan as since he was 50? So… the Hopkins HCiW and then departure and JB’s original retirement was all a hoax?

This is all a bad joke. Fans are being punked. If recruits know what is going to happen, the plan isn’t so appealing that it overcomes our sad on-court showing.

Im feeling stoopider and stoopider every time i think or write about it. If this goes into 2023-2024, I’m gonna go from apathetic to pissed.

Ooooof.
A double top secret plan doesn’t seem to be an effective strategy.
And how is it being kept secret after it’s revealed to high schoolers and their parents? They have to sign an NDA?

Wait, what? Same plan as since he was 50? So… the Hopkins HCiW and then departure and JB’s original retirement was all a hoax?

This is all a bad joke. Fans are being punked. If recruits know what is going to happen, the plan isn’t so appealing that it overcomes our sad on-court showing.

Im feeling stoopider and stoopider every time i think or write about it. If this goes into 2023-2024, I’m gonna go from apathetic to pissed.
+1
As a fan, feels like being played by JB while he holds the program hostage.
His disengaged shoulder shrugging at the Colgate presser -does he think that should be the fan reaction?

When teams like Colgate beat SU, their coaches are normally euphoric-
Langel's post-game interview demeanor was a calm "just another day at the office".

Those post-game coach reactions said it all regarding where JB and the SU program is at.

+1
As a fan, feels like being played by JB while he holds the program hostage.
His disengaged shoulder shrugging at the Colgate presser -does he think that should be the fan reaction?

When teams like Colgate beat SU, their coaches are normally euphoric-
Langel's post-game interview demeanor was a calm "just another day at the office".

Those post-game coach reactions said it all regarding where JB and the SU program is at.
Good post - Langel and his team did not seem the least bit surprised or over the top celebrating. They clearly expected to win, and I don't think Colgate is great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom