Duos Cultores Scientia Coronat et Go Aureum
In his first six seasons at SU, The Coach went:

4 - 5
5 - 5
5 - 4
7 - 3
5 - 3 - 1
4 - 4
( I am sure someone will be able to double check my typing to make sure I got that all correct.)

Pretty much the epitome of mediocrity. SU went to exactly one bowl game in that time period - granted there were far fewer bowls back then in the black-and-white era - and lost. In the next six seasons, SU went to two Cotton Bowls and an Orange bowl, had two 8 win seasons, one perfect 11-0 season, won a National Championship, and had a Heisman trophy winner.

No, I’m not saying HCDB is Ben Schwartzwalder. Or even Ben and Jerry’s. All I am saying is sometimes things don’t go the way people expect, or want, them to go, until they do.

4 - 5
5 - 5
5 - 4
7 - 3
5 - 3 - 1
4 - 4
( I am sure someone will be able to double check my typing to make sure I got that all correct.)

Pretty much the epitome of mediocrity. SU went to exactly one bowl game in that time period - granted there were far fewer bowls back then in the black-and-white era - and lost. In the next six seasons, SU went to two Cotton Bowls and an Orange bowl, had two 8 win seasons, one perfect 11-0 season, won a National Championship, and had a Heisman trophy winner.

No, I’m not saying HCDB is Ben Schwartzwalder. Or even Ben and Jerry’s. All I am saying is sometimes things don’t go the way people expect, or want, them to go, until they do.

And coach Mac was similar.

4-6-1
2-9
6-5
6-5
7-5
5-6

4 - 5
5 - 5
5 - 4
7 - 3
5 - 3 - 1
4 - 4

Coach Ben: 30-24-1
Coach Mac: 30-36-1
HCDB: 29-43

Mac had two losing season. Ben had one. Dino has 5. Comparing Dino to them isn’t apple to apple. If that’s the case why didn’t we keep grob or Shafer. New oc in a must win season is going to doom Dino’s career. Lane Kiffen as oc wouldn’t be enough. He is done and su wasted a year we could have used to right the ship.

I’m (hopefully) looking forward to some people eating some crow at the end of next year. I believe in Dino.
Him going 7-5 is not crow worthy lol

It all depends on who he surrounds himself with IMO
This years coaching carousel has shown me one crucial thing and that’s stability in any shape or form is completely fine with me . I truly hope he can make the right hires and re stock the roster with the right peices.

You can’t compare Mac’s schedule in the Big East compared to the ACC.
A number of Big East teams are now in the ACC, and Mac played what would now he considered killer out of conference schedules, e.g. Nebraska (when they were elite), Florida.

Mac had two losing season. Ben had one. Dino has 5. Comparing Dino to them isn’t apple to apple. If that’s the case why didn’t we keep grob or Shafer. New oc in a must win season is going to doom Dino’s career. Lane Kiffen as oc wouldn’t be enough. He is done and su wasted a year we could have used to right the ship.
Shafer maybe, but Grob????

I don’t think anyones comparing Dino to them at all. I doubt Dino ever comes close to having the careers they had. The point is both those two started off fairly mediocre their first 6 years and turned out great. It just means not all hope is lost for Dino to have some success. If anyone thinks people are trying to compare Dino to the careers of Ben and Mac, then they need to learn to read and interpret.

You can’t compare Mac’s schedule in the Big East compared to the ACC.
Mac's record was as an independent. I don't believe Mac ever coached in the Big East, he left for the Patriots in 91, Big East football wasn't formed until after that. Mac's record was mostly through games vs. the old East independents, Penn St., Rutgers, BC, West Virginia, Pitt. Army, Navy. I think we played Va. Tech a lot during Mac's tenure as they were also independent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom