Coach for 50 years | Syracusefan.com

Coach for 50 years

So that's through 2026. I don't see it unless out of the blue things turn around. 3 or 4 more non tourney seasons? I mean the Dome will be a ghost town by then for games.

If we return the guys who play and don’t bring in any recruits, I would not be at all surprised if this team was a NCAAT team next year. And 2024 is supposed to be a good recruiting class, as I understand it. If Mintz bails all bets are off, of course.

The fact that just making the NCAAT is considered an achievement for the program now is another conversation.

If we return the guys who play and don’t bring in any recruits, I would not be at all surprised if this team was a NCAAT team next year. And 2024 is supposed to be a good recruiting class, as I understand it. If Mintz bails all bets are off, of course.

The fact that just making the NCAAT is considered an achievement for the program now is another conversation.

Agreed and I was being kind honestly

I've been thinking of scenarios for next year. If Jesse comes back we could be decent. If not, I wonder if JB would portal for a center or rely on Hima/Carey. Jesse intended to leave after this year, but if he needs one more year to get drafted, I don't see why he wouldn't do it. If both of Joe and Sy leave, I think JB would portal for a non-starting guard. I don't see us picking up any starters in the portal next, short of possibly a center, unless a couple freshmen leave (which is very possible). It feels like it should be a NCAAT team, unless of course we get killed by transfers. Also feels like they'd be on the brink of being pretty good, but missing a key player.

Yes. It was something like #Boeheim50 or something like that. Said he was getting Juli on board with it.
I think he said Julie IS on board.
Not surprised -she may envision JB not transitioning well into retirement, and resulting marital challenges!

Needs to get Hop back to recruit if he stays any longer need at least 2 5 stars in 2024 class and hope these freshman are still around

I think he said Julie IS on board.
Not surprised -she may envision JB not transitioning well into retirement, and resulting marital challenges!
It was also said very much tongue in cheek. I paid attention as I started doing the math and was like no way. Jim NEVER proposed it. And I assume the Julie piece was tongue in cheek too. I didnt put too much credibility into it.

I bet at the beginning of this season that this would do it -- it's either this year or next. I think he can setup an assistant well next year with a young, improving team and the baseline will be easy to improve of. If he cares about an assistant taking over and doing well, he does it this year. That's my gut. (and i bought tickets to the home finale because of it).

It was also said very much tongue in cheek. I paid attention as I started doing the math and was like no way. Jim NEVER proposed it. And I assume the Julie piece was tongue in cheek too. I didnt put too much credibility into it.

I bet at the beginning of this season that this would do it -- it's either this year or next. I think he can setup an assistant well next year with a young, improving team and the baseline will be easy to improve of. If he cares about an assistant taking over and doing well, he does it this year. That's my gut. (and i bought tickets to the home finale because of it).
My comment about Julie was simply an attempt at humor.
Past speculating about when JB retires, or interest in analyzing "going for 50".
Just trying to enjoy the product while hoping for better.
That said, I understand the ongoing retirement interest/discussion by many fans.

So that's through 2026. I don't see it unless out of the blue things turn around. 3 or 4 more non tourney seasons? I mean the Dome will be a ghost town by then for games.
If you count the years he was an assistant coach, he already has 50+ years coaching.

Yes. It was something like #Boeheim50 or something like that. Said he was getting Juli on board with it.
I don’t think that is going to happen. I am not sure Juli is in the driver’s seat when it comes to decisions about basketball. Undoubtedly, in everything else she is queen and she is a beautiful queen. But her husband is king and no one else will climb up that glass mountain.

The problem is it's easy to decide to retire two or so years in the future, but when the years pass quickly and he's a couple months away, it's a whole different feeling. I have no doubt he doesn't intend to coach more than another year or two, but as he approaches that deadline, I also have no doubt he won't feel ready.

I will miss him when he's gone. Hope he stays as long as he wants, and gets a chance to go out on a positive note, and hand the reigns to a great replacement.

If there was ever a year to leave it’s after this year. They have zero commitments for next year. They have one player interested in the program. The team will be the same mediocre team next year. There wouldn’t be a big hit in players transferring I don’t believe. And then it gives the next coach the right time to recruit. This program cannot get recruits when they don’t know who the coach is gonna be.

If there was ever a year to leave it’s after this year. They have zero commitments for next year. They have one player interested in the program. The team will be the same mediocre team next year. There wouldn’t be a big hit in players transferring I don’t believe. And then it gives the next coach the right time to recruit. This program cannot get recruits when they don’t know who the coach is gonna be.
That to me is the telltale sign. Jim ain’t going to lie to a recruit. I genuinely think he wants to hand the keys over to an assistant with a young talented team. The only question is whether the school leadership agrees.

Did Corey Alexander say JB coach til 50 th season during UofL game
Didn’t he start that ‘campaign’ last year? Maybe he just renewed(regurgitated) it during Louisville.

I think the question is what the driving factor is for him staying on. I used to think I had an idea (his sons). Now I truly have no clue.

if it's simply he doesnt think he'll have anything else to do when he retires or whatever, I see no reason he would leave regardless of status of the team

I assume you mean if Girard, Edwards, and Torrence all return for 5th years? Or at least the first two?

Because if those two leave and we bring nobody in, I wouldn’t say we’ll be better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom