Coach K thinks we need to reassess playing college basketball during a pandemic. | Syracusefan.com

Coach K thinks we need to reassess playing college basketball during a pandemic.

Alsacs

Living Legend

Lol the hubris.

Lol the hubris.

That's some Diva shiite right there, I'm sure your troops are deeply impressed K, good grief.

Coach K is being a baby. But it is very true that the NCAA and its conference have to re-assess how they are doing things. Not cancelling the season by any means, but the ACC for example IMO should strongly consider having two bubble periods for its regular season. (Perhaps go in groups of 5 or 6 teams, and play 8 to 10 games in a period of 14-16 days). This allows the teams to re-quarantine and isolate for 14 days prior to the the next session.

Start this process of "quarantine" in late December / early January, start games by Jan 10, and you can get all sessions in by Mid-March.

The conference tourney is a no-go at this point. You don't have time to do this process three-times.

It can be done -- especially as there are no fans, and the players are already largely isolating. Don't need to cancel.

Last edited:
It seems like everyone is walking a tightrope. It's obviously not the same playing with no fans. The game doesn't have the same vibe or excitement. I can't imagine how it must feel for players and coaches. Everyone in the program is walking around on tip toes to avoid contacting COVID. You just never know who will play in the next game or if you will be able to practice tomorrow. Tough times. I know it's strange not going to the Dome.

It seems like everyone is walking a tightrope. It's obviously not the same playing with no fans. The game doesn't have the same vibe or excitement. I can't imagine how it must feel for players and coaches. Everyone in the program is walking around on tip toes to avoid contacting COVID. You just never know who will play in the next game or if you will be able to practice tomorrow. Tough times. I know it's strange not going to the Dome.
I think the players desperately want to play. Just like I desperately want to see my granddaughter! This whole season has an Etch-A-Sketch feel to it. Still, I hope they can figure out a way to play because it helps ME. :rolleyes:

His timing is suspicious but the comments have some validity.

He's 100% right. The whole thing should be shut down. Try and come back in February. Have teams work out, practice, go home for xmas, etc. This is the darkest period of the virus. There's absolutely no reason we can't shut this down for a period of time to bring it back stronger.

Coach K is being a baby. But it is very true that the NCAA and its conference have to re-assess how they are doing things. Not cancelling the season by any means, but the ACC for example IMO should strongly consider having two bubble periods for its regular season. (Perhaps go in groups of 5 or 6 teams, and play 8 to 10 games in a period of 14-16 days). This allows the teams to re-quarantine and isolate for 14 days prior to the the next session.

Start this process of "quarantine" in late December / early January, start games by Jan 10, and you can get all sessions in by Mid-March.

The conference tourney is a no-go at this point. You don't have time to do this process three-times.

It can be done -- especially as there are no fans, and the players are already largely isolating. Don't need to cancel.
been saying bubbles all along was the way to go.. get a bunch of games in and re-access.

If this doesn’t work, I smell a back surgery brewing.

1607535079647.gif

JB >>>>>>> Coach K.

Hasn’t been close for years

He's 100% right. The whole thing should be shut down. Try and come back in February. Have teams work out, practice, go home for xmas, etc. This is the darkest period of the virus. There's absolutely no reason we can't shut this down for a period of time to bring it back stronger.

Every Coach/Player/Team personnel was given the option to opt out this season. Other wise roll the ball out and play.

Duke Kansas and Kentucky are pretty awful. Think unc is pretty bad too

You know the NCAA has to worry about the almighty "dollar". They seem to be so out of touch on a lot of issues in the last few years. Eventually you have to ask yourself "what are they good for?"

You can call me good or bad if you like, but I am a selfish fan and do want to see the kids play. At my age I have very little to enjoy these days other than Orange Basketball and Raiders Football. Surprisingly the latter just might have a chance at the playoffs this year. Now, having said all that, there is obviously a real jeopardy to the teams involved considering what has transpired so far this season. No fans, cancelled games, stripped rosters, etc. Just how exciting would it be to win a Conference or NC this season? You basically have to call this a season-long practice. Under the circumstances I will go along with whatever is eventually determined on this and not gripe about it.

I will add a footnote. Watching last night's game just had no excitement for me and not because of how poorly we played. The RACK is usually a very boisterous place with fans, but you quickly realized it is a vary dull setting from a TV standpoint (maybe lighting?). I'm sure other buildings feel the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom