Coaches and Recruiting | Syracusefan.com

Coaches and Recruiting

GMac won’t be why or why not we get this kid. It will be PT and the fact Syracuse is a good school.

I don’t think GMac is a bad recruiter he just isn’t Hop who was an elite recruiter.
It's not fair to pin this on GMac.

That said, the guys GMac has been the lead on haven't exactly lit the world on fire.

At a certain point we need a bit more there. This is maybe a certain point.

hop wasn't hop for the first few years, either.
great recruiters are made more than born
GMac has been an assistant for 5 years.
He isn’t Hop as a recruiter. It doesn’t mean he is a failure he isn’t Hop who was an elite assistant.
GMac is doing okay.

GMac has been an assistant for 5 years.
He isn’t Hop as a recruiter. It doesn’t mean he is a failure he isn’t Hop who was an elite assistant.
GMac is doing okay.

Name something great Hop did in the beginning of his coaching career that is so much better than what GMac has done. Be specific please.

Name something great Hop did in the beginning of his coaching career that is so much better than what GMac has done. Be specific please.

I’m not speaking on GMac, because I’m not interested in being one of those guys.

But I’m almost positive Hopkins brought in Hakim Warrick, Josh Pace, and Craig Forth in his first class where he was out recruiting. Him and Weaver(taking the place of Fine and Orr) were credited with the uptick in SU recruiting starting with that 2001 class.

I’m not speaking on GMac, because I’m not interested in being one of those guys.

But I’m almost positive Hopkins brought in Hakim Warrick, Josh Pace, and Craig Forth in his first class where he was out recruiting. Him and Weaver(taking the place of Fine and Orr) were credited with the uptick in SU recruiting starting with that 2001 class.

I’m not positive but I’m fairly certain Hop rode Weavers coattails in recruiting back then. Also Hop was an assistant starting in 95.

I’m not positive but I’m fairly certain Hop rode Weavers coattails in recruiting back then. Also Hop was an assistant starting in 95.

I know, but pretty sure Hop didn’t start recruiting until that class.

Weaver got Edelin and Melo. Pretty sure Hop was a big factor too. He got GMac too.

I’m genuinely asking since I was 14 in 2003. But were GMac/Pace/Forth/Hak top 100 guys? I seem to remember Hak being in the top 90 or so but that’s it

Jason Hart was recruited by Hop in first year.
Hart alone is better than any player GMac has brought in his first 5 years.

Hop’s recruiting skills are elite nationally.
GMac isn’t Hop. I don’t need to go thru all the guys Hop brought in.
Our guards all developed for the most part while Hop was coaching them.

I’m genuinely asking since I was 14 in 2003. But were GMac/Pace/Forth/Hak top 100 guys? I seem to remember Hak being in the top 90 or so but that’s it

GMac definitely was top 50.

Warrick if I recall had a late, rapid rise from outside the top 100 and ended around 30th.

Forth I don’t think was quite top 100, but he was right around that.

Pace I think was rated reasonably high when he was younger and then was hurt by an injury, and his ranking fell.

Regardless, Hopkins brought in 3/5 of our starting lineup for our title team as soon as he started recruiting.

GMac definitely was top 50.

Warrick if I recall had a late, rapid rise from outside the top 100 and ended around 30th.

Forth I don’t think was quite top 100, but he was right around that.

Pace I think was rated reasonably high when he was younger and then was hurt by an injury, and his ranking fell.

Regardless, Hopkins brought in 3/5 of our starting lineup for our title team as soon as he started recruiting.

Using RSCI

Gerry was #38 in the class of 02.
Forth was 79 in class of 01. Edelin 36. I don't see Warrick or Pace. Emeka Okafor was 99 in 2001, which I wouldnt have expected

Here’s a list with Warrick at 31, Edelin at 56, everyone else unranked.
ESPN.com - RECRUITING - Class of 2001: Top 100 seniors

Here’s one with Edelin at 36, Forth at 79, and no Warrick.
Recruiting Services Consensus Index (RSCI) Rankings - 2001 | Basketball-Reference.com

Here’s a 2002 list with GMac at 38.
Recruiting Services Consensus Index (RSCI) Rankings - 2002 | Basketball-Reference.com

Hart alone is better than any player GMac has brought in his first 5 years.

Hop’s recruiting skills are elite nationally.
GMac isn’t Hop. I don’t need to go thru all the guys Hop brought in.
Our guards all developed for the most part while Hop was coaching them.

So Hop started as a first year assistant in 95 and got Jason Heart right out of the gate even though his first year on the road recruiting was 2001.

Let me just say I think highly of both Hop and GMac. I’m just saying don’t count GMac out yet. He’s 35 and he is recruiting for a different Syracuse team and JB.

s
untrue.
this discussion dossn't belong in this thread, especially when you are just making stuff up
/done

So Hop started as a first year assistant in 95 and got Jason Heart right out of the gate even though his first year on the road recruiting was 2001.

Let me just say I think highly of both Hop and GMac. I’m just saying don’t count GMac out yet. He’s 35 and he is recruiting for a different Syracuse team and JB.
GMac isn’t going to be the next HC.

s

untrue.
this discussion dossn't belong in this thread, especially when you are just making stuff up
/done
Lol you are wrong. Yeah Hop had nothing to do with Hart.

Wave of the future: Hopkins spends his career perfecting coaching model as he prepares to take helm at Syracuse

Former Orange guard Jason Hart first met Hopkins when he was playing AAU basketball out in California. When he arrived at Syracuse, Hopkins had only been on the coaching staff for one season. Even then, though, Hopkins understood the importance of getting to know his players. He built up a relationship and earned their trust, especially Hart.

When Hart made the nearly 3,000-mile trip from Los Angeles to Syracuse, he found himself in a new world. He was playing for a team that drew thousands of fans and captured the attention of an entire city. The spotlight was always on the Orange. Hart had never experienced anything like it.

Hart said Hopkins’ attitude, personality and genuine interest in the players’ lives were consistent. Whenever Hart needed help with something, basketball-related or not, he knew he could go to Hopkins. And he spent hours with Hopkins and his wife, Tricia.

“I think I was more like his little brother or son,” Hart said. “It was more like my comfort zone, being away from California, he was another guy I could relate to. Obviously as my coach, he was more of a friend and a mentor.”

Now as an assistant coach at Pepperdine, Hart said he’s trying to follow Hopkins’ coaching model.

When Hart received the Vic Hanson Medal of Excellence in 2011, he referred to Hopkins as his “white angel” in his acceptance speech. Hart said he saw Hopkins tear up.

After everything he had been through, Hopkins was always there for him. From an 18-year-old kid from South Central Los Angeles to a married father of two children, Hart said Hopkins helped him develop into who he is today.

Hart showed Hopkins his appreciation.

Hmm.

Hopkins coached some AAU ball in California before being hired at SU though.
GMac people are annoying. I know this isn’t you but the guy isn’t in Hop’s league and I won’t lie I was scared of Hop being the next HC after the 2016 games. I was clearly wrong but I also wasn’t strongly anti-Hop I was just more worried.

With this said Hop was mentioned back in 2014 as an elite assistant coach.
Bilas/Goodman: Top head coach candidates

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom